Reporting Scammers

Discussion for the trade server at: 66.221.253.125:27019

Reporting Scammers

by Vivi Hill » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Everyone hates scammers. We'd love for you to report them so that we can remove them from our servers.

We secretly run HLSTATSX on our trade server, and log all connect, disconnect and chat events. So if the scam is obvious through the chat logs we'll be able to deal justice. If reporting a scammer, make the title SCAMMER: <name> and, if possible, provide the time the scam occurred, and the person who got scammed along with the scammer's name.

We'd like to prevent this trash from ever scamming again, so we'll permaban them from the trade server. I also think we should make a public hall of shame for other trade servers to use as a guide so that the scammers don't go somewhere else after getting banned.

Good luck with your trades, and be careful of the scammers.

Also, I think Benny's Trading Post should have a NO-TOLERANCE policy about double trades (trades with more than 8 items)
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Re: Reporting Scammers

by duck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:00 pm

i was just wondering. can you record our voices on the servers. i was just wondering because some people attmept to scam over voice chat.

also on the double trade thing is it ok if there is a trusted middleman. yesterday a guy was giving a dirty skull for a bills and i was the middle man. he gave me the bills and the other guy gifted him the skull and i gave the bills hat to the guy who gifted the skull away.
duck

by Vivi Hill » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:54 pm

The thing about the middleman is that it could always be a partner in crime of the other guy. I'm not sure if there's a good way to do it without any chance of scamming.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by NuclearWatermelon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 pm

benny hill wrote:I'm not sure if there's a good way to do it without any chance of scamming.
I can see this working if both parties know the middleman beforehand. E.g. you and I using fail or psyk as a middle man.
NuclearWatermelon

by Snowsickle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:27 am

I imagine most admins here, if on the trade server, would be willing to help out by being the middle man.

I don't frequent the trade server much but I'd be willing to help out with trades if people are worried about being scammed. Feel free to shoot me a message via the steam group if you need the help. Still, probably best to pick a mutual friend if at all possible.
Snowsickle
Blue Admin

by Repoman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Alot of the little kids get picked on and people keep trying to get them to make really really bad trades.
Tends to happen alot, and sure kids are annoying, but its low to scam them.
I have to say, alot of assholes get on the trade server. Its almost as bad as the Halo Reach community.
Repoman

by Gho$T » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Yes for the time I was on, the kids just want to get hats and the older players scam the shit out of them this needs to be brought up with by the Gold admins to look out for this.
ImageImage Image
Gho$T
Donator

by duck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:01 pm

i havent seen any scamming of late. but i dont think we should be responsible for little kids trading their (example) double vintage merryweather for a handymans handle. if they want the handle more than the merryweather they can do that.
duck

by ReTrO.VeRsIoN » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:28 pm

It looks bad for the servers image, if we just let little kids trade off earbuds and vintage crit-o-cola for an ellis cap.
Yeah... umm... yeah, that's a... it's a phone, I think, I mean, it has an ear piece, and it makes noises, that's a phone, right?
ReTrO.VeRsIoN

by Gordon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey guys, just recently got scammed (yes, yes I know, I've learned my lesson...) anywho... I found out that this player is within your crit sandvich network group on Steam.
He goes by the somewhat odd name of: "ProcedureSpirit has no penis.".

If there's anything anyone can do to help, I've lost a few items... that I was supposed to trade... generally... Please lemme know when you've found him and gotten rid of him... He's still around somewhere...
Gordon

by Hatred » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm

UnicornPoop wrote:i was just wondering. can you record our voices on the servers. i was just wondering because some people attmept to scam over voice chat.

also on the double trade thing is it ok if there is a trusted middleman. yesterday a guy was giving a dirty skull for a bills and i was the middle man. he gave me the bills and the other guy gifted him the skull and i gave the bills hat to the guy who gifted the skull away.

yes you can by recording a demo movie ... it will record voice also
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by Vivi Hill » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 pm

There's actually an extension for sourcemod someone's working on that will be able to parse voices. It could actually be feasible to do recording through this, though it would take up a lot of space to store so much data.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by NBC011795 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:54 pm

One thing I've noticed is that scammers may sometimes use Russian characters in their name.

if you are scammed/attempted scammed by them copy and past their name to a notepad(or whatever you use) and report the name to a admin.
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by MrCakeMan14 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 pm

alright, will do
Forgotten Goldmin
MrCakeMan14
Gold Admin

by Omega » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 pm

If anyone gets scammed, grab their Steam ID ASAP since they arent able to change that. Report the scam to a CSn Admin and also report them to SourceOps so they're rep is tainted. Sry to hear scammers still exist on CSn :P
Delayed Flight -> Cancelled Flight -> 20 + Mosquito Bites -> Delayed Flight -> Jet Lag ... And I thought vacations were relaxing, Boy was I wrong D:
Omega

Return to Trade Server