Maps and modes that need changed

Discussion for the Fun server at: 66.151.244.49:27015

Maps and modes that need changed

by Shadow the Past » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

These are some things that I feel need to change about the funbox to make it more fun.

Aperture Science map:
This map is definitely one of the least fun theme maps. I still get lost regularly on this map and it's just generally hard to take it seriously. I used this map once just to learn how to be a civilian. People only vote for it because it's Portal and everyone wants to see it. Almost every time we play this map the server population gets cut dramatically because everyone is underwhelmed from what they had expected.

Needs to be: Removed. I see no reason to keep it. That or it needs a hardcore overhaul

Run_scout_run:
This map relies too much on spam/luck, and rounds end almost instantly unless it's Hold mode. The only time I ever had any enjoyment on this map was when the intel winds up on the ground floor and everyone's trying to get it in which case it was just an amusing spam fest, and then got frustrated whenever teammates would take it back down to the ground. It's just generally a boring map.

Needs to be: Changed. The mode has potential, it just needs better maps. (Perhaps an enclosed building setting rather than an open area, or even a maze.)

Saxton Hale mode:
Bring back the time limit. Seriously. I just played a match where we didn't even finish the first round until the map vote because the guy was "taking it cautiously" and "didn't like Nucleus anyway". It's also frustrating when I'm the next Hale and a match winds up taking 8 minutes.
Also, is there anything that we can do about the ERROR models? Jettrax and others can see them
And, I have a recommendation for the mod. (I know someone can pass it along to the modder). Perhaps make it so the YER gives the Spy a speed boost to that of a scout, since he can't disguise and hide his presence from Hale as easily? It would give more use to that knife.

Needs to be: Changed. Bring back the time limit in some form. Even if it's 5 minutes, it's better than nothing.

Kakariko (or as Unicorn calls it, Legend of Zelda, A Shadow of the Past):
I personally don't really have much of a problem with this map, I have fun on it. I see others complain about it, however. I do dislike that the map has 2 rounds per side, yet the map doesn't change almost at all between the 2 rounds.

Needs to be: Changed. Make it only a 1 round map (since the 2nd round is exactly the same) or change the 2nd round map.

TFDB Blender: (I think that's what it's called)
This map is good in the sense that it's unique, but one thing I dislike is the fact that the rockets all spawn at the middle.

Needs to be: Slightly changed. Red rockets need to be spawned on the outside where Blu can see them easily. Otherwise it's just unfair, especially at the end when rockets spawn at an already accelerated speed.

Nextmode Vote system:
In the current vote system, you need to hit 9 to go to the next page of modes. That's fine and dandy, but most players (including myself) only hit the first mode that looks appealing on the first page, since we're usually in the heat of a round and can't be bothered to make a better decision.

Needs to be: Slightly changed. I don't know how it works now, but perhaps make it so that after a mode is played, it is knocked down to the bottom of the list on page 2. This way, less played modes can (theoretically) make their way to the front page and potentially be selected.

Arena Deathmatch mode:
This mode I don't have any major problems with since we rarely play it. The name, however, makes it sound like it is a regular arena match rather than a special kind of mod, and this deters people from ever voting from it.

Needs to be: Renamed. Like "Class Randomizer" or something along those lines to make it clear what happens in the mode.

Redrover/Betray:
My gripe with these modes are the people who hide in spawn on maps like Harvest and don't come out, thus wasting a good amount of time, unless an admin is on to slay them.

Needs to be: Slightly changed. Make it so the spawn doors stay open once the round starts, that way even if they do hide in spawn we can still shoot them.

Welp, that's all I can think of for now, may add more later. Hope I gave some good insight.
Shadow the Past

Re: Maps and modes that need changed

by Ninja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Ok so a few things one, for saxton the best way to do it is load a map from a real saxton server and you will have the proper models.
Plus there is no real way to fix the time limit. I've tried trust me.
Kakariko: The whole point is of the same map being in the 'dark' and normal.
If you don't like new db maps go talk to fail and help him fix it since he was the one who made them.

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by GoDM1N » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Shadow the Past wrote:TFDB Blender: (I think that's what it's called)
This map is good in the sense that it's unique, but one thing I dislike is the fact that the rockets all spawn at the middle.

Needs to be: Slightly changed. Red rockets need to be spawned on the outside where Blu can see them easily. Otherwise it's just unfair, especially at the end when rockets spawn at an already accelerated speed.

Actually the red rockets do spawn on the outside of the map. Only the blue ones spawn in the middle. Also that map is made to be confusing and difficult
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Failhorse » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Blender is the way it is for a reason. There are 4 spawns for blue rockets in the center. The red rockets spawn from north and south walls.

run_scout will be better when I finish the map.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Shadow the Past » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 pm

I could've sworn they came from the center. But I only played it once so I couldn't really tell.

Kakariko I dislike being in a normal and dark setting because it causes you to be on attack or defense twice in a row which isn't necessarily enjoyable.

And I never thought of visiting another Saxton server, thanks.
Shadow the Past

by Jettrax » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 am

I dont see errors because i played on 24/7 vsh servers but yes lots of people always joke around and say a giant error just killed me.
I sort of agree on the time limit on saxton. but i was one to complain about the time limits at first. however, I believe most of the time limits were way too short before i think they couldve been extended instead. dont kill me benny :O
Jettrax
Donator

by Shadow the Past » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am

Another problem that could probably be quickly solved.

When there's a mapvote, and a new round of Saxton Hale is starting, the class help popup will remove the nextmap vote, resulting in only people who know the !revote command being able to vote.
Shadow the Past

by NBC011795 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:56 am

One thing that comes to mind to me is the excessive use of the Half-Zatoichi in Zombie Fortress (usually with the Juggernaut perk, the only way to kill them is with a backstab, which is usually hard to do because they are always hiding in a corner, so I think the the Half-zatoichi shouldn't be allowed in Z.F and whenever it's equipped It should be replaced with the stock weapon (shovel or bottle depending on the class).
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by megamoose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Maybe also there could be more prop hunt maps? For example, maybe farm? Maybe even lumberyard?
megamoose
Donator

by Shadow the Past » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:41 pm

There's a whole thread for map suggestions now, mostly about prophunt and zombie fortress.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2782
Shadow the Past

by Guy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Can we get a medic themed map? Or at least have a little medic love? This is why I usually don't play on the fun server... I am forced to play classes I really don't like.

Like run medic run or something? Let the undead have undead medics in Zombie Fortress, they can't heal of course... but stab stab stab as a medic zombie? FUN!
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Nikki Wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Guy wrote:Can we get a medic themed map? Or at least have a little medic love?

koth_hospitalgrounds?
Nikki Wolf

by jbeetle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:47 am

Hey, guys, new member here, and yes, I am bumping an old thread. I am the creator of kakariko. I really originally intended it to be 1 round then switch, but unless I can figure out a way around it, the multi-round control point-type map forces playing all rounds before it will allow a switch of teams.

That being said, I'm working on a more "fun" version of kakariko that has less to do with being balanced (yea, I know the town is horrible for balance). The "fun" version will be closer to the SNES version and probably won't include the dark world. The houses will be enter-able, and I might throw in a really long cap just so you can end the game if you want.

(sidenote: I did not make the vsh version. That person just decompiled and changed my map)
jbeetle

by duck » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:53 am

welcome to the community jbettle, you should have started a new thread :P.

i love your map, though the balance of it isn't all that good. i wish you luck on making a new map!
duck

by jbeetle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks. Yea, maybe I should have, I just didn't know if it was important enough, and I saw that my map was mentioned in this one :P.
jbeetle

Return to Love Nest (Fun Server)