csn_puzzlebox

Discussion for the Fun server at: 66.151.244.49:27015

csn_puzzlebox

by SpoonFox » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:18 pm

This is a special map that will be made specifically for CSn! It'll be only available with admins online, since they're required to do anything.

The concept is simple. There are 4-5 modes of play. The admin decides what to play by noclipping to the admin box and hitting the button for the mode.
There are rules to the modes, but they're simple.
Universal rules: No griefing, no exploiting, etc.

Now each game has its own set of rules. But before we go into them, lets talk about the mode. It'll be ARENA! That means, you die, you die. You cannot switch classes after choosing either. The time limit will be set to 30 minutes per round, but the team that loses, gets slain! (If an admin is on that team, they have to suicide :P of course)

The room looks like a simple box with a window to the other team. You can see your competition. Some classes will favor different challenges. Think of it as selective TF2ware boss fights.
Here's the list!

CHALLENGE: Race to the end!
STRONG CLASS: Scout/Demoman
WEAK CLASS: Soldier/Heavy
GOAL: It's a simple race... Or is it? You must go over obstacles and even find hidden spots around. If you die, you lose. The team with the most at the end wins. That means you must help your team win. A single scout who reaches the end first, while the other team has three heavies reach the end second, will win :)
REWARD: The admin will push a second button that releases a damaging block that slays the other team. (To be scripted. For now it's Slaying the opposing team)

CHALLENGE: Sentry Ahead!
STRONG CLASS: Demoman/Soldier/Spy
WEAK CLASS: Medic/Scout/Engineer
GOAL: There will be a number of opposing sentries. You have to move around corners and edges, avoiding getting blown up, and avoiding some damage obstacles. This means team work. The first team to down all their sentries will win. There will be level 1, level 2, and level 3 sentries.
REWARD: The usual! Death to the other team!

CHALLENGE: Duel to the Death!
STRONG CLASS: Any! Medic really helps!
WEAK CLASS: Any!
GOAL: Sort of like arena, except you're dealing with many damaging obstacles as you try to attack your foes!
REWARD: If you're dueling with the minigame, it's a neat idea to specify a target, your duel target! What better reward than getting a point on your duel record? :)

CHALLENGE: Endurance Racing!
STRONG CLASS: Heavy/Pyro/Medic
WEAK CLASS: Sniper/Spy/Engineer
GOAL: Through many damage based obstacles (that do not 1shot you) you will have to run through. Just like the first race challenge, the first team that makes it wins. Medics are a must because they can heal through the damage, but there's some points that damage more than you can heal! Just like before, the team with the most on their side wins, but keep in mind, the end also has a damage area, so you have to hurry or they will die! (It doesn't damage as badly though!)
REWARD: A sandvich at the end! I'm kidding! The admin just slays the opposing team!

TO BE ANNOUNCED
CHALLENGE: Duel Like Men!
STRONG CLASS: Spy/Pyro/Demoman
WEAK CLASS: Medic/Engineer/Sniper
GOAL: The gloves are off! Melee only duel to the finish! Uses the same area as the original duel! This must be enabled by the admin with !melee option.
REWARD: You get to kill your enemies with your bare (or in some cased bear) hands!

A note that admins will not say what challenge is next, so choose your class wisely!

I also wanted to try a special pyro dodgeball map that involves airblasting each other off the edge instead of rockets! And airblast joust!

EDIT: Renamed it puzzlebox, has a nicer ring to it.

Also, fleshing it out now. Will probably be done in a week or so!
SpoonFox

Re: csn_puzzle_room

by Smeemo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:06 pm

This is a neat idea. I don't think it was intentional, but I think the requirement of needing an admin present to "run" the game makes it a bit more of an event, rather than a tf2ware knock-off (which admittedly was my first thought after scimming the post :D ) that players would nominate and vote on just like any other map. FunBox regulars know TF2Ware became stale and predictable (thus defeating its purpose) after several months (looking forward to TF2Ware DIY!!) Anyway, I think adding the stipulation of needing an admin "referee" to play a particular map significantly adds to the excitement of playing the map. This is assuming, of course, that the puzzle-box would be fun! ;)

Barney Hale, would Spoon be able to enact his puzzle-box vision using the new mod? I know tf2ware2 still in development, but it seems like this would be a -lot- of work (limited frame of reference: never made a map).

edit: Do I overuse parentheses? Why, yes, yes I do.
Smeemo

Re: csn_puzzlebox

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Seems like a lot of this could be accomplished directly through hammer with a map (see tr_walkway for some crazy stuff you can do with only a map--sentries, ramps, bots etc).

The melee-only thing seems like it would require a plugin. So it would seem you'd need a combination of plugin and map to do the whole thing properly. It's certainly feasible, and yes, a bit ambitious.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Return to Love Nest (Fun Server)