New Fun Server Stuff Ideas

Discussion for the Fun server at: 66.151.244.49:27015

New Fun Server Stuff Ideas

by Vivi Hill » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi, we'd like to get some fun new stuff on the fun server and fix the mods that are broken. Sorry that it's a bit messy and glitchy right now.

Please post fun, unusual custom maps that you would like to see on the fun servers (maps like steamroll, for example), new maps for PropHunt and Zombie Fortress, and your favorite mods that you'd like us to install.

As for fixing broken mods, I know the following things about the mods on the server:
  • Saxton is FIXED
  • Prophunt is FIXED
  • TF2Ware is kind of broken and boring, it's going away until TF2Ware 2 comes out

I will update this top post with maps and mods you guys come up with. If you would like to point out any issues with mods not covered above, feel free as well. I haven't been working hard enough on the fun server recently. It's quite a beast to tame given all the extra mods and stuff installed on it.

TLDR: Post names of fun custom maps and mods you like that should be on the fun server

So far:
  • Balloon Race
  • Wacky Races
  • cp_lost
  • votezf to enable zf on non-zf attack/defend maps?
  • custom zombified maps?
  • pl_donkeykong_final
  • tfdb_mine
  • tfdb_breakout
  • zf_castle_ruin
  • zf_graveyard
  • csn_puzzlebox
  • Freezetag? Would require writing freezetag plugin--not all too difficult, but a project nonetheless.
  • zf_under_lumberyard
  • Tron map
  • pacman
  • koth_aperture_science

* Added to maplist (admins can change to it)
* Added to mapcycle (anyone can vote it in)
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Re: New Fun Server Stuff Ideas

by LegendarySurgeon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:34 am

I've enjoyed balloon race before, though I don't remember any particular maps.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:00 am

Benny, if you need Smeemo and I to add stuff when you're busy, that's fine. Just a suggestion.
Nikki Wolf

by Failhorse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 am

Balloon race can be really fun. There's also a map called wacky races that's a bit better. A little less spammy.

There's also a map called CP_lost. Essentially a domination CP map set in a maze.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Smeemo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 am

Does anyone know enough to add the Zombie Fortress features to some of the maps we use? Kakariko, Mario, and Donkey Kong can get boring pretty fast, but the !zf perk system really keeps things interesting imo.

Thanks for fixing PH and Saxton. I agree re: Balloon Race and Wacky Races.
Smeemo

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 am

Do we have a Donkey Kong map? I didn't think we did.

In any case, I suppose Zombie Fortress can run on any map technically. The only issue is, how is it enabled? Right now ZF is enabled on a per-map basis but if we want zombie fortress on a non-zf map then we'd need something else, maybe a vote-zf feature? I'm not sure if ZF works well when enabled mid-game but in theory it would work. It would be easy to set this up with the custom votes plugin. Then people could type votezf to enable it on any map.

That leaves one final issue: PH and Saxton maps will conflict with zombie fortress, so it shouldn't be possible to do a 'votezf' on those maps. I think unloading the custom votes plugin would achieve that.

That sound good?

Just realized though: ZF only really works on attack/defend. Maybe we can look for or make zombified versions of classic maps (badlands comes to mind) that are A/D? Payload maps would be interesting...
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

ZF on non-ZF sounds fun.

And yes, we had a Donkey Kong map, but it's not on this server. It was a Payload map.
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:43 am

I can easily get it back if you think it's good. Was it pl_donkeykong_final?
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

Yeah, I think so. I shall be looking for maps when I get home today. I can probably find some that will fit the server.
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:05 pm

I think the amount of maps we're planning on having means we should set up the ultimate mapchooser (like we have on the slaybox) to avoid the random mapvote being sub-par. So we could make the vote always have one of: 1)Saxton maps, 2)Fortwars/Dodgeball, 3) zombie fortress 4)custom maps (or something like that)
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 pm

YES! I love that. That kind of map choosing was available on the older server, but only for when we rocked the vote.

One actual idea from me: Jukebox. But something like this:

People can type in something like !jukebox, and they can select what song (or genre) they want to listen to. An admin can pick that song to play, or a song to play if voting is for a genre instead of a song. But such an option would most likely require downloading the songs, and would be very tedious with many songs. (yeah, can't have pros without cons)

It's just an idea. You don't have to implement if you think it won't work out right.
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 pm

I had a jukebox plugin that had a list of songs and played per-person. It used the MOTD so that there was no download time on map load. My mod of the Karaoke plugin also worked like that, but played for everyone. That was always a little buggy though.

No one on the slayboxes ever wanted to karaoke. Perhaps the fun server would like that mod, though.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 pm

I can provide songs, if you want some. I still have my dad's CDs near my desk to be converted to HLDJ, and found more CDs in the basement that I might convert. (need to go through them, first) I can find more songs from other video games, and SirFoxey sent me a link to some free chiptune albums that I'll go through sometime. I'll also take requests, still.
Nikki Wolf

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Double post, but blah.

I found a plugin on Mecha's site (well, a link to a forum post about a plugin) that allows for custom achievements. Maybe something we can do?

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=126779
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about that at some point. In the end though it seems a little overkill-ish.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Ah, I see. We can still try it out, if you want. I might play around with the plugin this weekend and see what I can do with it.

I also found a bug where you still have "Hidden-vision" after you play as The Hidden.
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Darn mecha, not checking his codes.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Found a map that was recently uploaded. It's a King of The Hill map that takes place at Aperture Science:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4550

And another one called "Facing Worlds," which is Capture the Flag, but might fit Saxton Hale some:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4471
Nikki Wolf

by Toaster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 pm

LegendarySurgeon wrote:I've enjoyed balloon race before, though I don't remember any particular maps.

Yeaaaah! I forgot about balloon race... It was one of the first things I ever played when I got tf2 (around when sniper vs spy was released). Balloon race with zombies was also pretty fun.
La migliore armatura è di tenere fuori di gamma
Toaster

by Vivi Hill » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Not sure how well Saxton Mod will fare in CTF mode. Probably not well at all (now, one could possibly mod the map to be an arena map, I suppose).
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Nikki Wolf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:30 pm

^ Yeah, true. If I knew mapmaking for Source at all, I would change it to Arena.
Nikki Wolf

by Failhorse » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 am

That map has a bunch of custom stuff that's packaged with it. I can un-compile the map and change it to arena. Can't say what will happen to the custom assets though.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Vivi Hill » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Going to use this post to consolidate all the custom maps we want. Please post new maps here.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Jettrax » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Here is a few maps i would love to see. we need more prop hunt and zombie fortress maps

ph_spooky ravine
ph_switcheroo
ph_northural
ph_oaisis
I'm not sure if these maps are available individually or if you can only get them in the prophunt pack from DarkImmortal.

I remember zf_lake and i wanna know if we could have it back. Also maybe take a look at different zombie mall maps.

Maybe take a look at a few VSH maps on game banana but i think our stock maps are working well.
Jettrax
Donator

by xbawkzes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 am

Jettrax wrote:Here is a few maps i would love to see. we need more prop hunt and zombie fortress maps

ph_spooky ravine
ph_switcheroo
ph_northural
ph_oaisis
I'm not sure if these maps are available individually or if you can only get them in the prophunt pack from DarkImmortal.

I remember zf_lake and i wanna know if we could have it back. Also maybe take a look at different zombie mall maps.

Maybe take a look at a few VSH maps on game banana but i think our stock maps are working well.

Hell yes, I love Oasis. So many hiding places, such a good map.

I'd like to see cp_Granary added to the Saxton Maps, that'd be awesome.
Ninja wrote:Well its not like our admins are any good.

Unusuals: 13/50
xbawkzes
Donator
How to: Professionally Piss Off Head Admins.

by Shadow the Past » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:14 pm

I remember Oasis and Spooky Ravine in the prophunt server I used to frequent, so I'd like to see those maps added.
Shadow the Past

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:21 pm

I am so tired of prophunt. It is easily the most played gametype on the fun server and it gets boring fast. Then you get the guys who miss the point completely by memorizing the map in its entirety so that they can be the best around and nothing can ever take them down. It's really annoying. I'm glad were getting new gametypes, though.
VoltySquirrel

by Techercizer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Could we get koth_always on the server? I love that map!
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by Shadow the Past » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:I am so tired of prophunt. It is easily the most played gametype on the fun server and it gets boring fast. Then you get the guys who miss the point completely by memorizing the map in its entirety so that they can be the best around and nothing can ever take them down. It's really annoying. I'm glad were getting new gametypes, though.

I wouldn't say it's played the most, since there's only 2 maps. Saxton gets played a ton though (last night we played like 4 games in a row.)

Perhaps the server needs to have it so you can't play the same gamemode twice, I.E. it won't show up in the map vote, in order to keep things fresh.
Shadow the Past

by xbawkzes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Dodgeball needs going over. It's not fun, it's too frantic.

2 Rockets
Rockets ONLY speed up via airblasts, and not via Rocket-Spawn.

This way, newer, inexperienced TFDB players can get the gist of how the rockets speed up and how to avoid being killed, as well as timing it correctly. It's also not too hectic for more experienced players.

I'm only getting complaints from regulars who played old TFDB (before the Uber Update) saying that TFDB at the moment is the worst mode. And I agree with them.
Ninja wrote:Well its not like our admins are any good.

Unusuals: 13/50
xbawkzes
Donator
How to: Professionally Piss Off Head Admins.

by GoDM1N » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm

xbawkzes wrote:Dodgeball needs going over. It's not fun, it's too frantic.

2 Rockets
Rockets ONLY speed up via airblasts, and not via Rocket-Spawn.

This way, newer, inexperienced TFDB players can get the gist of how the rockets speed up and how to avoid being killed, as well as timing it correctly. It's also not too hectic for more experienced players.

I'm only getting complaints from regulars who played old TFDB (before the Uber Update) saying that TFDB at the moment is the worst mode. And I agree with them.

Agreed, I'd rather have it with two rockets as well.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Techercizer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

As long as we're re-vamping dodgeball, would it be possible for 1/100 rockets (something much more rare than a nuke, anyway) to be a dud? That is, to explode harmlessly upon a failed deflection, perhaps into a humourous cloud of confetti? Or, am I the only one who thinks that it might be fun to occasionally screw up a deflect, spend a fraction of a second cursing yourself out, only to wind up covered in streamers?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by Mr.Gatsby » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 pm

How about adding a little spice to the mods we already have?
Mr.Gatsby

by Jettrax » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:10 am

Bawkz didnt you remember arena granary on SLAG? It was a sentry-hoovy-dispenser fest! saxton almost always lost.
also i like being the only engie playing :P
Jettrax
Donator

by Ninja » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Jettrax wrote:

Bawkz didnt you remember arena granary on SLAG? It was a sentry-hoovy-dispenser fest! saxton almost always lost.
also i like being the only engie playing :P

Hey I like being engie too...But with mini sentries XD
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by GoDM1N » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Techercizer wrote:As long as we're re-vamping dodgeball, would it be possible for 1/100 rockets (something much more rare than a nuke, anyway) to be a dud? That is, to explode harmlessly upon a failed deflection, perhaps into a humourous cloud of confetti? Or, am I the only one who thinks that it might be fun to occasionally screw up a deflect, spend a fraction of a second cursing yourself out, only to wind up covered in streamers?

GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Return to Love Nest (Fun Server)