Deadly Premonition

Everything else not represented

Deadly Premonition

by VoltySquirrel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:18 am

Rare is it when a game comes out of nowhere with zero expectations that manages to totally blow you away, but when it happens, it's beautiful. Such is the case with Deadly Premonition. If you haven't heard of the game, I don't blame you, but you should really fix that. It's a mystery/horror/sandbox game where you play as FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan (call him York, everyone calls him that), who is investigating a series of ritualistic murders, with the most recent occurring in the town of Greenvale. At first glance, it doesn't seem like much, what with it's PS2-era graphics on the Xbox 360 and dated tank controls, but once you get past the rough exterior, you see it for what it truly is: a fucking amazing game. Everything in this game shouldn't work, but it does. In a way, it's the first really example of a "So Bad, It's Good" video game. What starts off as yet another psychological horror game quickly turns into one of the funniest things you will ever set your eyes on. York is easily one of the most developed and likable protagonists in the past 10 years, whose quirks make you like him more and more. The town and the people in it are just as kooky as York, and everyone seems okay with it. Eventually you get used to the surreal nature of the town and start to grow attached to it. I feel that if you give it a chance, you might grow attached to the town of Greenvale yourself. Besides, it's only 20 bucks. The game is even coming to PS3 pretty soon. If you felt I haven't properly convinced you, I'm sure this review from Destructoid will, because it did for me: http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml
If you have either system, please check it out. Failing that, go watch one of Giant Bomb's Endurance Run of the game, so you can at least see it with yo eyebawlz.
VoltySquirrel

Return to Other Games