This is [still] Absurd

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

This is [still] Absurd

by Vigil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 pm

I decided to unlock this thread because I know some of you value community input. I'm going to try this one more time, because I don't want to see CSn deteriorate any further.

I said:

I can't help but feel that banning Ackbar for ubering a spy is nothing but a lame excuse for giving her the ban she actually deserves; some of the admins seem to be too focused on following fancy rules and procedures to just do what's obviously best for the servers.

The reason you should be giving for banning Ackbar is that she solicits attention from underage boys in a way which detracts from the game experience for everyone else in the server, whether it be through team stacking or medic hijinks. I muted her after the first time I heard her talking over voicechat about dicks with some kid, but her negative effect on gameplay is enough that I've started avoiding servers she's in. Having an admin who acts like she does is beyond unprofessional-- it's disturbing and creepy.

I had assumed it was a hopeless case of a group of socially inept kid admins who are incapable of saying no to a female on the internet, but the recent ban gave me hope that you guys are capable of reason. I still wouldn't have said anything, but earlier this evening I saw Ackbar on slaybox 1 and was quite disappointed in CSn.

Apparently you all misunderstood me. Put away the popcorn. This post was not about Ackbar-- this post was about admins sitting around waiting for bullshit excuses to make yourselves feel justified in your actions, instead of manning up and doing your job. If I thought making fun of Ackbar would make her leave, I'd consider it, but she seems pretty happy with her delusions; the blame is on admins for allowing this embarrassment to continue.

Anyone who disagrees with banning someone who has such a huge negative influence on the community-- and by "community" I mean people who play on the servers and not people who dare to post in this hellhole (ever notice there's 17,838 members in your steam group and only 355 forum members, very few of whom post regularly?)-- is not someone who you should mind losing. Why you'd think "legal adult whose every other sentence is about drawing attention to herself and flirting with teenagers" is not a strong enough reason to excise someone from your community, but "ubered a spy" and "disrespected donators" sounds legitimate, is way beyond me.

Admins, do your job. You don't owe annoying kids anything (or creepy self-centered adults). Deal with the problems in your community instead of ignoring them. A stellar example: instead of locking threads when they fill up with stupid irrelevant posts, just delete the off-topic posts and warn/ban the offenders. You'll get a lot more active community members if the sight of the forums doesn't make us want to run screaming.
Vigil

Re: This is [still] Absurd

by Vivi Hill » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm

GIVE. ME. A. DEMO. THAT. HAS. EVIDENCE. AND. I'LL. RETHINK.

Sorry about that, but all this really gets on my nerves. "record demoname" is all it takes. Take that is taking the initiative here by recording all future matches. I hope we can all follow his lead here. If you want me to consider Ackbar (or any major community member) for banning I'll need to have something besides random demos of her playing TF2 and people yelling at her.

Again, I'm sorry but it had to be said. And I really don't want to offend you. You may have seen her doing bad stuff, but I haven't and I really want to. Until then I don't know which side to take. I'd like to err on the side of caution though as a good 1/3 of our forum regulars would leave if she is banned. And no, I'm not doing it because she's a 'gurl'. I'm doing it because she's a good friend of mine in the community and as a rule I don't ban good friends, or enemies without reason.

But it really shouldn't be hard. If you see ackbar in the server and want to prove to me she needs a ban, just record a demo. Doesn't matter if she isn't doing anything at the time. If you're really concerned about the issue I'd like to see it dealt with. But I have no idea what sort of things they do. From what I hear from others it's the worst. But whenever I play with them, or use an unknown account to, I see nothing. I have my eyes and ears wide open and i'm trying. Help me out, please. Don't make me choose a side without evidence.

Thank you.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Enigma » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 pm

benny hill wrote:GIVE. ME. A. DEMO. THAT. HAS. EVIDENCE. AND. I'LL. RETHINK.

Well said.
Enigma

by Ackybur » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Benny the event he is talking about was me talking to take that.
Ackybur
Donator

by Vivi Hill » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Ok, so the whole thing is about how ackbar talks to friends whilst in the servers, and jokes around about arbitrary things? If she's really done anything wrong, I haven't seen it myself.

TF2 is rated M for Mature, which means that *technically* the only teenagers who should be in the server are 18 and 19-year-olds. Now, I know NO ONE follows this rule, but technically we all should be adults if we're playing the game.

Now if Ackbar actually talks to people like that who she doesn't know, perhaps there could be a slight issue. I'm pretty sure she's just talking to tktht most of the time though. Maybe she should move her conversations to Mumble, but what's the real problem? Is it offending someone? There's no inherent problem with idle conversation, is there?

Now I know I haven't seen the teamstacking aspect of ackbar. I also haven't seen this aspect you're describing. So my point still holds: I'd like to see a demo. When I'm in the server, Ackbar's a mature, yet playful adult. Are you labeling her as some sort of sexual predator? I'm not seeing it, but if so, it is an M game for 18 and older. There are far worse people on the Internet. In any case I'd like to see some sort of footage showing Ackbar's evil side. I haven't seen it myself. I've heard much worse from random TF2 players myself.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Ackybur » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 pm

I admittedly chuckled.
Ackybur
Donator

by Vintage Cholent » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 pm

benny hill wrote:GIVE. ME. A. DEMOMAN. THAT. HAS. EVIDENCE. AND. I'LL. RETHINK.

Fixed ;)

“That’s not a knife. That’s a knife.” -“Crocodile Dundee”
JG:You are on a table, surround by naked dudes. What do you do?
VC: Leave the apple store
Vintage Cholent

by Smeemo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Maybe that was rude, but her joking with a friend over voicechat shouldn't bother anyone.
Smeemo

by Echoplex » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Ackbar is an aural rapist :geek:

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Ackybur » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm

I actually work for myself by helping those less fortunate. I help little kids, boys girls etc. I believe my title would be that I'm a full on rapist.
Ackybur
Donator

by dieinafire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Vigil and Benny have officially nailed what I have been unable to explain for a multitude of reasons. Well played. I applaud you both.
dieinafire
Donator

by dieinafire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Vigil wrote:I decided to unlock this thread because I know some of you value community input. I'm going to try this one more time, because I don't want to see CSn deteriorate any further.

I said:

I can't help but feel that banning Ackbar for ubering a spy is nothing but a lame excuse for giving her the ban she actually deserves; some of the admins seem to be too focused on following fancy rules and procedures to just do what's obviously best for the servers.

The reason you should be giving for banning Ackbar is that she solicits attention from underage boys in a way which detracts from the game experience for everyone else in the server, whether it be through team stacking or medic hijinks. I muted her after the first time I heard her talking over voicechat about dicks with some kid, but her negative effect on gameplay is enough that I've started avoiding servers she's in. Having an admin who acts like she does is beyond unprofessional-- it's disturbing and creepy.

I had assumed it was a hopeless case of a group of socially inept kid admins who are incapable of saying no to a female on the internet, but the recent ban gave me hope that you guys are capable of reason. I still wouldn't have said anything, but earlier this evening I saw Ackbar on slaybox 1 and was quite disappointed in CSn.

Apparently you all misunderstood me. Put away the popcorn. This post was not about Ackbar-- this post was about admins sitting around waiting for bullshit excuses to make yourselves feel justified in your actions, instead of manning up and doing your job. If I thought making fun of Ackbar would make her leave, I'd consider it, but she seems pretty happy with her delusions; the blame is on admins for allowing this embarrassment to continue.

Anyone who disagrees with banning someone who has such a huge negative influence on the community-- and by "community" I mean people who play on the servers and not people who dare to post in this hellhole (ever notice there's 17,838 members in your steam group and only 355 forum members, very few of whom post regularly?)-- is not someone who you should mind losing. Why you'd think "legal adult whose every other sentence is about drawing attention to herself and flirting with teenagers" is not a strong enough reason to excise someone from your community, but "ubered a spy" and "disrespected donators" sounds legitimate, is way beyond me.

Admins, do your job. You don't owe annoying kids anything (or creepy self-centered adults). Deal with the problems in your community instead of ignoring them. A stellar example: instead of locking threads when they fill up with stupid irrelevant posts, just delete the off-topic posts and warn/ban the offenders. You'll get a lot more active community members if the sight of the forums doesn't make us want to run screaming.

Btw, still locked :)
dieinafire
Donator

by Repoman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Too much whining.
Repoman

by Enigma » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Repoman wrote:Too much whining.

Let me help you there.

Mmhmmm

Enigma

by Failhorse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 pm

So if someone doesn't agree with your opinion, on a random matter, they're whining?

Interesting.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by dieinafire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Failhorse wrote:So if someone doesn't agree with your opinion, on a random matter, they're whining?

Interesting.

Pie.
dieinafire
Donator

by Vigil » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I'd assumed Benny Hill was trolling me, but I spoke to an admin who says he thinks he probably isn't. Can another admin please confirm whether Benny Hill is being serious or not? Also, can you confirm whether or not all administrative decisions must go through him, as he is implying?
Vigil

by Failhorse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Benny isn't trolling you. And i have no additional joke to add to this post.

Edit...

Got one.
You know what's really absurd. I paid 2.39 for a gallon of gas..

no?

Crap, play some filler johnny.

Failhorse
Red Admin

by Repoman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:02 am

Failhorse wrote:So if someone doesn't agree with your opinion, on a random matter, they're whining?

Interesting.

Your assuming.
I never said that I dont agree or disagree.
Repoman

by Vigil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:22 am

Failhorse wrote:Benny isn't trolling you. And i have no additional joke to add to this post.

Thanks for the info. Funny enough without the additional joke.

Benny, I've heard you're serious, and I will respect that. Unfortunately you can't do everything and be everywhere. I know there's the urge to have complete knowledge and control, but this is not possible, so you have to figure out how to act reasonably despite incomplete knowledge. When you say "I've never personally seen so and so doing anything wrong, even though other people and admins have told me they've seen so and so do something wrong" the message is that it's ok for anyone to do whatever they want on the servers, as long as it's not in front of you. I know in your mind you're thinking that you just want hard evidence, but unfortunately the reality is that you're saying you don't care what people do as long as they're your friends and don't piss you off personally.

I realize admining is tough. There's a lot of people doing a lot of things. The trick to running a successful server is to have a head admin who is surrounded by people whom they trust. You should know that if one of your people says that someone deserves a ban, then that person deserves a ban.

Think of it in a cost/benefit analysis perspective. It's impossible to have full information all the time. It's better to take action and occasionally do the wrong thing than to never take action and never do the right thing.
Vigil

by Toaster » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 am

benny hill wrote:GIVE. ME. A. DEMO. THAT. HAS. EVIDENCE. AND. I'LL. RETHINK.

Vigil I can see that the above quote is very vague and hard to see unless you look directly at it. I've taken the initiative to underline it for you.
La migliore armatura è di tenere fuori di gamma
Toaster

by Ackybur » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:11 am

Toaster you might want to try a bigger font. Also might want to remind him that the person I was talking to at the time is a really good friend, and only pretended to be 12. Take that you should look into acting after that role.
Ackybur
Donator

by Take That!! » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 am

I am 12, and Ackbar has sexually assaulted me, does this clear up the situation?
Take That!!

by Failhorse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 am

Isn't that still the age of consent in Utah anyway?
Failhorse
Red Admin

by dieinafire » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:30 am

Failhorse wrote:Isn't that still the age of consent in Utah anyway?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dieinafire
Donator

by Sirnak » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Well, I personally never understood how Acky could be banned for ubering a spy. But then I read in different places by I-Don't-Know-Who that she did other things to deserve the ban and then I fall on this story here. I kinda like Acky since she's a good player and she seemed like a nice person to me for the few times I exchanged words with her. It's true though that I mute people's voices in TF2 since I find them annoying, so I have no idea what she says in game other than "MEDIC!"

But you know what?

I've worked with kids and teenagers all my life and I shall pretty soon complete my teacher formation. Kids talk trash. Kids insult each others. The words "dick" or "pussy" is not at all a mystery for any kid over the age of 12. Heck, maybe even over 10 if not less. The other day, as I was helping out on a school trip and was in charge to accompany a group of 3 young girls of 12 years old, they were talking about ways they liked boys to touch them and telling about past experiences they had... It's not like I wanted to hear any of that stuff.

Acky, you were just fooling around with your friend who's not even 12. Good. In the future, though, you should think about how there MOST PROBABLY are kidS playing on the Slaybox and that they can hear you even though you are not talking to them. But it's ok. Fooling around is cool, just as long as you don't ALWAYS go on pretending to do perverted stuff with children. And I trust you know the limits.

So why don't we all go backstab Medics together, now? :3
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by Failhorse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Who told you ackbar got banned for ubering a spy? That's not what happened at all.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2