noob servers?

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

noob servers?

by cant speall » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm

My friend bought TF2 a while ago, but he couldnt play it because his desktop was so old. Recently he's upgraded to a pretty nice XPS laptop, so he'd down for gaming again, the only problem is TF2 can be pretty hard. I had him play on the Crit Sandvich servers and he got too intimidated by not being able to get even one kill (granted it was the final round of thunder mountain). Basically, if he gets owned too much he just goes back to counter strike and leaves with a negative image of TF2.

Where can he go for some slower paced, lower skilled tf2 play?
cant speall
Donator

Re: noob servers?

by Ackybur » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Have him look for a noobs server. It's usually in the title, and let him know that the best way to get better is to play with the big dogs. I remember when I first started playing I went medic, and followed around the person with the most points. I got the jist of how to play by watching others, and asking questions
Ackybur
Donator

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:45 pm

I say let him start with 2Fort or let him do offline skirmishes.
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:45 pm

There are self-proclaimed noob servers. I've never really tried them out.

However, you ought to tell him that the class selection is what will help him out. Medic was specifically designed so you could see how to play the other classes. Some classes like soldier are straightforward as well. Since I myself never tried any newb servers (and tf2 was pretty much my second-ever FPS) I'd definitely suggest this instead of joining a 'noob' server.

And tell him in general not to go out in the open. TF2 is very location oriented and it takes a while to realize this. I remember on first stage of dustbowl standing in the same place by the oneway door again and again. Someone said "Watch out for the snipers" but I didn't get it. I also kept running into the sentries. Coming from Halo (I know, I know) where territories are much less defined, this game is completely different. Maps are much more important to know as well.

Coming from CS, I don't know as I don't play the game, but having seen some people play it it's probably similar to halo in that there's no defined chokepoints etc. Tell him to make sure to stay near the rest of his team and he should get the hang of it pretty quickly.

And of course, there's tutorial mode which could also help.

Oh, and if he does join a server, tell him to man up and say outright he's a new player. The TF2 community is quite nice so generally it's easier if your team knows and can help you out if you're in trouble.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Maringue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Where is he, like country wide? I know of a server on the east coast that is pretty low skilled. Before TFGN and CSn, I used to go there when I got bummed about getting rapped on the Ville.

Also, I'm betting most people here have at least one server in their favs that they go to when they want to own some people.

Benny also makes some solid points. If you tell people you're new, they will all most always help you out. Especially if you play a useful class like medic. Not so much as a spy or sniper.

The big difference between CS and TF2 is respawn. If he's played CS a lot, then aim isn't his biggest issue, it's learning the new game mechanics. He just needs to stick it out and learn the maps just like in CS, with the addition where people spawn. It's important to learn that all maps pretty much have three main routes from one end to the other. You can learn a lot by just looking at overviews of the maps.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Echoplex » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 pm

FreeFrag.com Back2Basics 1-3 are great servers for newer players. You can find the IPs on www.freefrag.com

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Sirnak » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Well, I personally started on Critsandvich Slaybox I, my very first TF2 experience, without too much of a problem... I remember that in my first TF2 experience I was first of my team at the end of the round. xD I also remember that on the second round, Zeclipse joined... And he kept killing me over and over again... From that moment on, I played only to get my revenge on him and try and have a domination on him. :3

Well, like others said, make your friend try servers that have *noobs* in their titles. It should be fine. ^^

Oh, by the way... I don't know where you are Zeclipse... But I shall dominate you, even just ONCE, someday. Someday maybe not so soon since I haven't been playing TF2 for more than a month... But someday. Someday. Love you. :3
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by Mike808 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 am

to be honest the CSn server pubs arnt too good
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by NuclearWatermelon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 am

Mike808 wrote:to be honest the CSn server pubs arnt too good

Define.
NuclearWatermelon

by Mike808 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 am

well im no good and i still do pretty well
or like how not many people know how to play to benefit the team
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by cant speall » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am

Mike808 wrote:well im no good and i still do pretty well
or like how not many people know how to play to benefit the team

Regardless of your ability, the crowd we played with the other day was much too good for him. Back on topic.

I'm not sure he has the patience to play medic. I'll certainly suggest it, but I don't think it's his style. He wants that instant satisfaction sort of thing, and I dont blame him. I'll let him know about the offline practice modes, but I think newbie servers are his best bet. That way he can get to know the popular places for centuries and snipers.

I remember my first run at TF2 I racked up 10 hours on sniper before even attempting other classes. Though I didn't have CS to fall back on when I got owned.

and side note: Halo is awesome, you shouldnt be embarrassed to play. XBL is an embarrassment compared to PC gaming, not Halo.
cant speall
Donator

by Germz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:58 am

Even if he gets owned, there is no problem in running back to CS:S or another game once in a while. I always do this when I get a new multiplayer game.
Let him play other games if he wants, and if you see him do something else, ask him to join you in-game.
Trust me, he'll start liking it.
Germz

by squar3d » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:00 am

just tell him to join when I'm on :), that should boost his score
squar3d
Donator

Return to Team Fortress 2