Helping the Arena Box

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Would a single bot help populate the Arena Box?

Yes
36%
No
64%
Maybe, but I have a way better idea and I'm going to post it.
No votes

Total votes : 14

Helping the Arena Box

by Maringue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Ok, so we have some issues populating the arena box. I have a thought that might help. A single bot. Whenever the number of players is odd, a bot will appear to make the total even. This will happen up to a certain number of total players, say 8 (could be more or less). After that, no bots. Now I know we are very anti-bot here, but I figured this would give the first few people something to do while they help fill the server, especially the first person who currently has to wait and do nothing until someone else shows up.

Thoughts?
Maringue
Blue Admin

Re: Helping the Arena Box

by Smeemo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Yes.*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Only if a weapon randomizer mod is used. Regular Arena makes me a wee bit sleepy, though I know it has a solid following somewhere out there.
Smeemo

by Mike808 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:19 pm

yes because it will help when i sit in there for an hour doing nothing.
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by Vivi Hill » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Keep in mind that bots remove from the player count, so it would still appear to have 1/23 players rather than 2/24. So 1vs1 with a bot won't help populate too much.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by fingerman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

set sv_visiblemaxplayers to 25 and add a bot? Then it would be 1/24, its at 26 now. I think you can set bots to 0 once so many people are active.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Maringue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I was just thinking that it would give the first person something to actually do while waiting, not really help bump up the numbers visible in the server.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Argent » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

the two (2) total times I've idled there waiting for someone to show up, I got some good reading done.

JS

Something should be done though... I love arenabox

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

by Maringue » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm

My point exactly, I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas to make it easier to pop the arena box.

So if you've voted no, what's your reason? I mean we could kill the bot once the total players hit a lower number, say 4. If you don't like the bot idea, do you have another idea to make it easier to get the arena box up and running? I only say this because it's not going to last long if no one uses it, and I know we have people who like arena.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Vivi Hill » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 pm

I voted no because I generally don't like bots on servers. The main reasons are that there are filters that blacklist servers that have bots, automatically. Also, the tag "bots" is added to the server and it can be filtered out. So the population is a bit smaller that can see the server.

Fail mentions a plugin to remove the wait time. This doesn't really help for the first person since he's still alone, but then again there's not much to do about that anyway.

In the end I don't think bots will really help us so much. I think with some events and announcements we can get the server more popular. That's what I think at least. If arena isn't a liked game mode, we can also figure out something else to do with the server, instead.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Argent » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 pm

But I love Arenabox QQ

It just doesn't get enough love...

>[I] TAKE THAT, CLOCKS
Argent
Donator
The Fourth Suited Ace

Return to Team Fortress 2