It's a spray...for Trades!

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

It's a spray...for Trades!

by cant speall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:31 pm

So not too long ago I decided to make a sweet trade spray to cut down on my own mic/text spam for trades.Image (in game this goes much faster, I have no way of slowing it down, sorry if it's misleading)

If you think it's a good idea or would like to create your own version I've put everything you'll need and more in order to create your own version.

You can find the files on my skydrive, http://cid-71e4e829fa57a10d.office.live.com/self.aspx/Trade%20Spray
You'll have to click the folder to open and then you will be able to download the zip.

It's all in a zip folder called custom spray pack. I am not trying to scam you, there are no viruses in the folder. I prefer the skydrive to other hosting methods because I have a bit more control this way.

Things you'll need:

Photoshop (or equivalent. basically just something to open/edit psd files, though I've also provided other file types just in case)
VFTEDIT (this is a program which will let you convert the .jpg or equivalent into the necessary files for a spray.)
Basic knowledge of how to add a spray into tf2
TF2 text pack, which you already have! you can find it in ....\team fortress 2\tf\resources\TF2build (it's a .tff or something like that.)

Things you may ask:
Q. Where can I get pictures of the items I have?
A. The wiki of course!

Q. How do I make the gray transparent?
A. That one you'll have to google. Basically you have to make it an alpha channel. Easy to figure out, not easy to explain, sorry.

Q. What's the point?
A. I donno...less spam. Personally I dont really worry about trades as much. I just let the spray do all the work.

Q. Can I change the colors/anything else
A. Please do! I'm not sure why anyone would ask this question. It's almost like I'm just trying to invite people to make it their own. Good question though.

Q. I hate you and this thing is stupid.
A. Though technically not a question, you have a valid point.

Q. That's pretty much the same thing as that other spray you made, the one with the crit sandvich.
A. I'm lazy?

Q. Your spray is a gif, how can I do that!?
A. You need to make each frame into its own .png/.jpg/.tga
Then you will open VTFEdit>file>import>select all the files you want to be in the spray.
At the next screen there is a pull down menu (texture type) which you will need to change to animated texture

Anything else just let me know guys!
Last edited by cant speall on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cant speall
Donator

Re: It's a spray...for Trades!

by NuclearWatermelon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Hmm.

Perhaps I can put together a web application for this...
NuclearWatermelon

by cant speall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:43 pm

If you've got the will, I'll try to help in any way possible, though classes start tomorrow. If you need anything let me know, though I think I've provided all the art/photoshop related things possible in the zip.
cant speall
Donator

by Maringue » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:54 pm

I love this idea, it helps to keep the trading spam to a minimum.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Nikki Wolf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:08 pm

I remember seeing sprays like this on a TF2Newbs server before. Pretty interesting. There might as well be a wall or bulletin board in the trading server to put the sprays at.
Nikki Wolf

Return to Team Fortress 2