Map voting updated - read - need feedback

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Map voting updated - read - need feedback

by Failhorse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:10 pm

I've gone through and addressed a bunch of complaints about our current map voting system. Over the years updates to the mod that gives us our fantastic system, plus our internal mod have created a ton of issues. I'm attempting a temp fix until finger gets back.

Immediate bugs that need to be addressed:
IF, a map vote shows up with more than 1 page of votes. Let me know immediately.
All maps should be nominated no matter when it was played.
Every vote should have at least 1 of every map time available.
If voting doesn't start at key 4 (1,2,3 should be disabled.)

What has changed
We transitioned from a map type, then actual map vote system. This was removed several months ago. We set that up in 5 tiers. From fav maps to the least favorite. When we changed back we didn't revert back to a tier system that was map type. So when votes would show up instead of getting 1 or 2 of each type of play style, it was basically random. To compound that, we had set to remove certain tiers from showing up in future votes. so say a tier was:
badwater
goldrush
freight
something
something else

If a map from that tier was played, it was gone for the next 3 votes. So what would happen. 3 tiers of maps would vanish from the vote, so you'd be left with the least popular maps to vote for. This really hurt server population. Plus, it was set to remove previously played tier maps from RTV and nominate menus.

All of this has been removed. No matter when a map has been played, it can be nominated for next map. But will not show up in a proper vote for 3 maps.

Aftermath, TL:DR
Basically the maps have been put back in order, internally, by map type. So when the mod that runs the voting spits out each voting option as 1 map type. SO, 1 CP, 1 5CP, 1Koth, 1 CTF, 2 PL. Any map no matter when it was played, or map type, should always be nominated. Number keys 1 2 and 3 are disabled from voting. If this doesn't work out, the old map voting is backed up and can be re-implemented at any time. This is just a temporary fix until we can properly fix the mod (requires fingerman cause i don't want to fuck his shit up while he's gone. And in case I jack something up.)

Any abnormailites please let me know.

Notice: this is as of 11:30 PM central time. I was dicking around earlier in the day. So none of that applies.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Map voting updated - read - need feedback

by LegendarySurgeon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:41 pm

I want map voting to be set up with a database that weights each map and displays 5 maps randomly minus whatever gets nominated. Every time a map is voted for it adds 1 to the weight for that map (all maps starting at some default value like 500). After a while the map list will reflect the maps the community likes to play with the vote at least allowing for the possibility of rarely voted maps appearing due to the random but weighted nature.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by CR33D » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 pm

What about the glitch where the vote takes too long and the map auto-switches? (The map that was voted for is not played, as the vote never finished.)
I deal ¹º² Damage with my favorite gun.
I also spend way to much time on the forum.

HOW THE **** DO I GET IMAGES WORKING?

http://i.imgur.com/3pXBPQs.gif
CR33D

by Failhorse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 am

The map vote ending early can only happen on 2 maps. Nothing can really be done about it. And I get you want other shit added, please stay on topic for now. Need to know if there are any bugs. I'm currently laid up and cant get to the computer to check myself.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Cash » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm

From what I've seen in a couple hours of playing, the votes have been much better. There was at least one good map that most people liked on every vote. However, I also noticed something weird happening. For some reason, a large number of objects (barrels, piles of wood planks, certain sets of stairs) aren't solid. By that, I mean that sometimes you can try to go up stairs, and you literally just walk through them. You could also hide a sentry in these objects where players can't see them. I'm not sure if this was only happening on one server (I was on westbox) or if it's a game-wide issue that has nothing to do with the plugin, but it didn't start happening until yesterday. This problem was occurring on every map I played though, so it was kind of a problem.

EDIT: The problem is not on slaybox 1, so if the problem is still there, it's only on westbox.
This is a signature. Thank you for your time.
Cash

by Failhorse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

The voting system doesn't do anything to models. can't see why it'd be doing that but i'll look into it.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Balubish » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Only 2 maps when voting on slaybox 2?

Nevermind might have been the second vote

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Failhorse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 pm

There's 2 votes.
quick update
I dumped all the maps into 4 categories to pull from on slaybox 1. So only 4 options plus nominated maps will show up in list.
Slaybox 2 and westbox have all map categories separate ( so there's a '9' for more options.)
but it's randomized and the 2nd vote will pare down to 4 options max.

I forgot to remove the previously played from from the next vote. will do that after all this is checked.

please offer new feedback.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by xalde » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Map nominate list missing cp_foundary. It's my favorite :(
xalde
Donator

by Failhorse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am

Another update.
Previously played prefix; PL CP CTF ect is removed from the next vote. Should make Payload less likely to be played 24-7
Grouping is still open, which means payload can still be nominated. If the server drops below 12 people, and pl was removed, it will return to the vote.

-what server is foundry missing from?

Disclaimer:
If you're wondering why the votes are payload centric. Payload is what drives traffic. I love other map types. I'm sure you do too. But we have to keep the servers full. We do this duty for our community and donors. Empty servers means none. We are a "pub" server group. By pub. You know, 99% of all of this game you self centered try hard elitist bastard. Now shut up and take your medicine.

Tips to play non-payload
1) Play during peak hours. This is 4pm-12am central time
2) Be vocal prior to votes. Amazing how me and Fingerman can talk, and get people to vote for what we want. I'm sure you can do it too.
3) Weighting of maps is more balanced on slaybox 1 and westbox. This means you have more of a chance to play non-pl there.
4) westbox has each map type in a separate group. Where slaybox 1 has the following grouping 1) pl plr, 2) cp 3) 5cp 4) koth, ctf
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Failhorse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 am

Here's a little peek into the cfg science. Much has been redacted. Don't want people stealing our shit. Or knowing what other modifications we've done internally. Only showing part of KOTH. Because who gives a shit about KOTH.
Code: Select all
"King of the Hill Plus"
//7-31-13 updated AFH
    {
        "command"  "redacted"
        "command"  "redacted"
        "command"  "redacted"
        "maps_invote"  "1"
   "default_min_players" "12"
        "default_redacted_____"

"koth_nucleus"
         {
         "weight"    "2"
         }
        "koth_viaduct"
         {
         "weight"    "2"
         }
        "koth_lakeside_final" {}
        "koth_harvest_event"
         {
         "weight"    ".5"
            "min_players"     "20"
         }
        "koth_badlands"
         {
         "weight"    ".5"
            "min_players"     "20"
         }
      "koth_sawmill"
         {
         "weight"    ".5"
            "min_players"     "20"
         }
      "koth_king"
         {
         "min_players" "24"
         "weight"    ".5"
         "min_time"    "1800"
                        "max_time"   "2100"
         }

OK so starting at the top.
For KOTH to show up in a vote
1) There needs to be at least 12 people
2) Certain commands need to be met
3) Certain something else.
Those requirements met, 1 map will show up in 1 vote slot.
The maps themselves also have conditions.
1) higher min. player requirement
- less popular votes can only happen when the server is full
2) Weight
- more popular maps will show up. If they show up, a) good map = higher in voting rank b) shitty map, lower.
3) Time
- Koth_king for example. can only exist between 6-9PM
-- also needs a full server, but will still show up near the bottom of a vote.

Why does king have near impossible requirements? It can still show up. Probably 1-15 chance. But removing it from the list would also remove it from nominate. Say, people decide they actually want to play it.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by xalde » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 pm

I think it was on Slaybox 1 that cp_foundary was missing in the map list. This was from about 9p - 11p CDT Thursday night. <3
xalde
Donator

by Maringue » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:16 pm

I've heard a lot off good feedback about what maps show up in the vote list. More importantly, instances of "Man, all of these map choices fucking blow" are significantly decreased.

Someone noticed that you cannot nominate a payload map while playing payload. I like that, but I also wanted to make sure it was on purpose. I'm assuming the same goes for the other map types so that you can't nominate the same style of map twice in a row.

One last note, standin shows up all the time (I'm guessing because it's a completely different map type) but the new 5CP map (I forget the name) NEVER shows up. I still haven't played on it yet. Oh, and now that people are getting used to standin, it's getting more fun to play. It's interesting to note that a lot of people thought this map would end up with ridiculously long stale mates, but the map actually moves really fast. The times I've played, we've gotten through both rounds in 10-15 minutes. Is there any way to auto extend the map by one round if both teams win one round? We got into a good fight and each team one once and then it just ended. Not having a rubber match is un-American because ties suck and belong in soccer only.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Failhorse » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm going to up how many rounds 5cp plays. Was set to 2 a long time ago and no one ever really messed with it since.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by that shiny mudkip » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:51 pm

For westbox the winning vote is almost always the map attached to 4 so I propose maybe using the f1 f2 keys?
and you'll probably need to put a little pop up saying that for mac users they need to hold the fn key and press the f1-f5 map they choose.
(this is because they have action keys bound for f1-f9)
that shiny mudkip
Blue Admin

by resuni » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 am

Failhorse wrote:3) Weighting of maps is more balanced on slaybox 1 and westbox. This means you have more of a chance to play non-pl there.

Is this because slaybox 2 has the least amount of traffic? I'll admit I get a weird FPS lag there so I try not to play on it as much as the other two.
resuni
Donator

by Beartato » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 am

resuni wrote:
Failhorse wrote:3) Weighting of maps is more balanced on slaybox 1 and westbox. This means you have more of a chance to play non-pl there.

Is this because slaybox 2 has the least amount of traffic? I'll admit I get a weird FPS lag there so I try not to play on it as much as the other two.

I suspect SB2 has more PL maps to help keep it popped. It doesn't rank as well as the pother servers so it's tougher to keep populated. PL maps tend to bring in more people since most people quick match with PL.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

Return to Team Fortress 2