Holiday Update

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Holiday Update

by Repoman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Coming from someone who makes a decent income, I have found this update to be absolutely terrible.

http://www.teamfortress.com/australianchristmas/
Repoman

Re: Holiday Update

by Buzzbrad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:58 pm

well hopefully the 20 new hats are drops not u have to buy them
Buzzbrad

by Repoman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Im gonna be done playing TF2 and any Valve related things because of this. It will be a while before I ever play again. Im irritated now because I have so many games on Steam, so now I have to gradually go away from it. Im gonna shift more to gamersgate, D2D, and buying things non digitally now. This update and along with the 1000s of topics on the steam forums saying how stupid this is has convinced me.

I used to like Valve alot, but now they are turning into another EA.
So if you dont see me around often that is why, because Valve has punched its customers in the balls.
Repoman

by NuclearWatermelon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm not too sure why it is you are so displeased with them...

Although, perhaps I would not understand. Just let people who wish to pay, pay, and those who do not, continue as before?
NuclearWatermelon

by Repoman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:00 am

If you dont agree with something, then one should not support it.
Its very simple.
Repoman

by Mike808 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:22 am

im with repoman on this one
valve is just adding too much shit into an already good game
When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by Gho$T » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:07 am

You all could go back to TFC then thats been the same since it came out, just a thought
ImageImage Image
Gho$T
Donator

by squar3d » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:13 am

melee mode was fun. but all the weapons is just a little excessive. what little I cared about items, I have now lost all interest in them.
squar3d
Donator

by Repoman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:11 am

Apparently, they are losing quite a few people to this update while the brainwashed fanboys continue to support the communism.
Repoman

by Toaster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:45 am

TF2 is a great game that doesn't force dlc with a price tag on anyone. I'm all for supporting them while they continue making the game balanced and original.

To each their own
La migliore armatura è di tenere fuori di gamma
Toaster

by Enigma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:17 am

I don't mind these updates, I think they're fun. But I do agree that Vavle is going overboard with excess items.
Enigma

by Vivi Hill » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:32 am

If they were charging for stuff that was necessary to keep up with TF2 I'd definitely reconsider playing the game. But right now nothing is actually damaging to the game. The trading community is quite neat and Valve is finding a way to keep TF2 profitable without forcing people to play the game.

The only thing that annoys me (and it doesn't annoy me that much) is that the game still has a number of annoying bugs.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by squar3d » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:23 am

Repoman wrote:Apparently, they are losing quite a few people to this update while the brainwashed fanboys continue to support the communism.

I believe the term is capitalism.
squar3d
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:44 am

I think it's funny how people who play this game feel so intitled to their 20 bucks they spent to buy the game. News flash: GAMES EVOLVE OVER TIME. Just because there are some new hats to buy doen't mean you need to buy them. They are only hats. They do absolutely nothing. What about the set hats? If you noticed, Valve realized that how stupid it was, so now you don't need a hat for a set bonus. Crates you say? same thing with the hats. If adding in a shit ton of hats that absolutely no one needs to pay for really makes you want to quit the game entirely, then go right ahead. Sorry that Valve found a way to make money without having to charge for new maps and weapons, like some other developers.
VoltySquirrel

by Buzzbrad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:14 am

Well the huge mistake is no Santa hat like come on how can u not have a santa hat
Buzzbrad

by Divide by NaN » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:14 pm

This last update confuses me a little. I'm curious if this is indicative of the direction they're moving in or if it's just a one-off.

I can understand all the new hats and weapons since the community is probably submitting a lot of good art work.

Let them sell items. I'm certainly done buying them. Valve will not be EA until they charge you 50 bucks for a pile of shit software although they are treading
on a very fine line with buying weapon sets. As long as you can find/craft them then its okay I guess. They wouldn't need money so bad if they just worked
on new titles instead of continuously morphing TF2 :P
Divide by NaN

by VoltySquirrel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:18 pm

You do realize Repo that the TF2 team is only one part of Valve, right? Despite popular belief, they actually are working on Episode 3, Portal 2, DotA2, Left 4 Dead in general, and any other stuff we don't know about. TF2 is obviously on their mind, but it's not the only thing.
VoltySquirrel

by Toaster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:20 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:Episode 3, Portal 2, DotA2, L

mmmmmmmm
La migliore armatura è di tenere fuori di gamma
Toaster

by Failhorse » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I think he meant valve is working on Left 4 Dead 3
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Amplify » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:39 pm

Please no. Not left 4 dead 3.
Amplify
Tournament Staff

by Vivi Hill » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Also, they're really doing some amazing things by paying the random developers of weapons and hats. And now with the stamp thing, mapmakers can get some extra revenue.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by VoltySquirrel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Failhorse wrote:I think he meant valve is working on Left 4 Dead 3

Not necessarily. Sure, they might be working on it, but the L4D team still is working on campaigns if the Sacrifice has anything to say about that.
VoltySquirrel

by Mike808 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:35 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:I think it's funny how people who play this game feel so intitled to their 20 bucks they spent to buy the game. News flash: GAMES EVOLVE OVER TIME. Just because there are some new hats to buy doen't mean you need to buy them. They are only hats. They do absolutely nothing. What about the set hats? If you noticed, Valve realized that how stupid it was, so now you don't need a hat for a set bonus. Crates you say? same thing with the hats. If adding in a shit ton of hats that absolutely no one needs to pay for really makes you want to quit the game entirely, then go right ahead. Sorry that Valve found a way to make money without having to charge for new maps and weapons, like some other developers.

i dont mind hats i usually just give mine away for free or for totally useless weapons for scrap
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by Echoplex » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:33 am

Sorry for not staying on the current topic, but the Loch n Load totally owns :twisted:

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Mike808 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

ok this update to the medic is the worst one yet
we had 3 medics on our team and 2 of them were using that crossbow and were on the bottom half of the scoreboard for two reasons
1. they werent healing so that means no heal or assit points
2. the werent killing anyone either

basically new medic update is like having useless afk players on team when they are actually not afk.
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Mike808 wrote:ok this update to the medic is the worst one yet
we had 3 medics on our team and 2 of them were using that crossbow and were on the bottom half of the scoreboard for two reasons
1. they werent healing so that means no heal or assit points
2. the werent killing anyone either

basically new medic update is like having useless afk players on team when they are actually not afk.

Trust me, once I get my crossbow, I'll heal people, get kills, and won't suck. Don't forget, you were in a pub game.
VoltySquirrel

by Maringue » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Doesn't the new crossbow heal teammates if you hit them with it?

Also, I agree, the medic set is the worst. Like we needed to encourage idiots to go battle medic.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by John Magnum » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen people stand around inside the setup area with their crossbow out, not building up an ubercharge. I :|ed.
John Magnum
Donator

by Mike808 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 am

Maringue wrote:Doesn't the new crossbow heal teammates if you hit them with it?

Also, I agree, the medic set is the worst. Like we needed to encourage idiots to go battle medic.

yes its an instant heal
but its just as difficult to hit your own team as it is to hit an enemy

and theres not uber or krit charge arrow. so you dont actually benifit the team by playing your role

i play either medic, demo, soldier, or sniper. (but depends on what my team needs)
but mostly medic. if i get that crossbow, its gonna be instant craft into scrap time
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 am

Mike808 wrote:

yes its an instant heal

and theres not uber or krit charge arrow. so you dont actually benifit the team by playing your role

i play either medic, demo, soldier, or sniper. (but depends on what my team needs)
but mostly medic. if i get that crossbow, its gonna be instant craft into scrap time

Hold on to one for me. I like to have 1 of every weap, whether I use it or not.
VoltySquirrel

by Repoman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 am

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1658557
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1662045
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1658567
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1661634

This is a good one.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1664220

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1649133
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1664417
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1663917
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1664290
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1657780
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1663858
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1660669
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1663895
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1663345
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1658755
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1661585
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1662427

Good sir, you have been absolutely brainwashed.

I used to work for gaming business and I can tell you right now, their approach they are taking will not work in the long run.

Every company that does stuff like this, shoots itself in the foot in the end.

And do you even know how to operate a business?
Your argument is the same ignorant argument everyone posts.
They are a business, stuff isnt free, profit!

Yes, but if you over inflate and over excite a new concept to your own implemented business venture, you will in fact do more damage then good to your business.
Starbucks over expanded when people liked them, Krispy Kreme did the same, heck even the Kirby dolls broke themselves when the went nuts after people bought them.

From a true view, what Valve is doing will in fact cause damage in the long run. What they need to do is calm down, and instead release game fixes and changes instead. Not continue down this dangerous road.

You know I could go on about why this is it for me, but apparently the steam forums and many people are on the same page with me that we are tired of the new TF2.

Too many items.
Too many hats.

Its like Clown Fortress 2 or something.
Repoman

by Fiend » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:24 am

I skipped a lot of this thread, but I think most people ignore one important thing:

If you're bad at the core dynamics of the game, hats and new weapons are not going to help.

Alright, Valve, EA and everybody else is out there to make some dough, yeah? Well, good for them. We've gotten more than we asked for in terms of TF2. Most of us payed no more than $20 for this game, and some of us, myself included, just wanted the next Half Life or Portal and this was essentially free. Meanwhile, we get random and earned drops that are fun, and offer variety. In all reality though, there's very little you're missing out on if you don't pay a dime. I've yet to drop a single cent in the Mann Co. store, and I really enjoy this game. The only thing I ever saw worth "buying" was the Grenadier's Softcap because the sentry damage reduction is pretty cool since I use Battalion's Backup anyway. I traded up to get one. Not that hard.

All of the core weapons are just as good as the new ones, it's just a different play style, not a better one.

All of the hats are just polygons.

Haters gonna hate.
Fiend

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 am

Fiend wrote:All of the core weapons are just as good as the new ones, it's just a different play style, not a better one.

Uhhh.... Equalizer, any pyro melee, degreaser, any medic melee, any sniper melee, any demo melee, any engi melee, etc. Yeah, I know alot of those are melee, but you understand what I'm saying, right?
VoltySquirrel

by Maringue » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:23 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:
Fiend wrote:All of the core weapons are just as good as the new ones, it's just a different play style, not a better one.

Uhhh.... Equalizer, any pyro melee, degreaser, any medic melee, any sniper melee, any demo melee, any engi melee, etc. Yeah, I know alot of those are melee, but you understand what I'm saying, right?

True, all of these weapons have advantages over their base counterparts, but they also have disadvantages. The axstinguisher is probably the only weapon who's downside is not enough to make it relatively equal to the original melee weapon. The bushwhacka seems OP, until you realize that a pyro and his flare gun will end your fun real fast since you take 20% more damage. Even the degreaser has it's downside. If you're on a map where you can't get in for that axstinguisher hit for some reason (terrain, other team doing their job, ect.), then you are going to get a lot less kills because of the reduced afterburn. I'll switch back to the original flame thrower in some cases just for that longer burn, especially if I'm mainly spy checking.

I think Valve wised up by making the new sets not require the hat to get the set bonus. That was clearly a pay to play system and they fixed it. Everything else is craftable, so you can get one without paying for it, as long as you have a little more patients.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 am

Maringue wrote:
VoltySquirrel wrote:

True, all of these weapons have advantages over their base counterparts, but they also have disadvantages. The axstinguisher is probably the only weapon who's downside is not enough to make it relatively equal to the original melee weapon. The bushwhacka seems OP, until you realize that a pyro and his flare gun will end your fun real fast since you take 20% more damage. Even the degreaser has it's downside. If you're on a map where you can't get in for that axstinguisher hit for some reason (terrain, other team doing their job, ect.), then you are going to get a lot less kills because of the reduced afterburn. I'll switch back to the original flame thrower in some cases just for that longer burn, especially if I'm mainly spy checking.

I think Valve wised up by making the new sets not require the hat to get the set bonus. That was clearly a pay to play system and they fixed it. Everything else is craftable, so you can get one without paying for it, as long as you have a little more patients.

You may be right about the degreaser and axetinguisher, but wait, all we ever play is Upward, Goldrush, and Freight! So the critcism is narm, at least on our servers. Those maps are perfect for 'em. Especially Goldrush with all it's delicious choke points. You may be right about the bushwacka to an extent, but you forget that most pyro's can't aim well with their flareguns. The point is that I would rather have crits if someone is pissed on in exchange for fire weakness and reduced melee damage in exchange for instant rape if their on fire. I only actively use melee on a few classes anyway.
VoltySquirrel

by Failhorse » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Degreaser has a down side? I want to throw that one into perspective. Since they released the degreaser I now play pyro a lot more often, and generally end up in a 4-6 k:d ratio. I'd say 1/2 of my kills are reflects, 1/4 are enviro, and 1/4 are axe kills.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:58 am

Failhorse wrote:Degreaser has a down side? I want to throw that one into perspective. Since they released the degreaser I now play pyro a lot more often, and generally end up in a 4-6 k:d ratio. I'd say 1/2 of my kills are reflects, 1/4 are enviro, and 1/4 are axe kills.

The "downside" to it is the reduced burn dmg. Thing is, burn dmg has been nerfed so much since launch it has been pitiful to die because of burn. Let me give you a quick math problem. Taking away from nothing still gives you nothing. So the arguement is moot.
VoltySquirrel

by NuclearWatermelon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:49 pm

I am quite sad this is how you feel.

On the one hand, yes, these are new items that give you a different way to play the game, and yes, you can buy them in the store. On the contrary though, you can simply wait for them to drop, or trade for them. These new weapons will only be rare for so long, as was the case with the polycount weapons.

The requiring of the hats to complete the pack and get the set bonus was a bad idea, and Valve has fixed this accordingly with the new sets, there is no need to whine about being unable to get a hat for a bonus, because the only three hats that will confer bonuses in game are the three that are already there. (And I should note I particularly hate those three bonuses...)

Volty, you mentioned an argument based on just the Critsandvich servers, well, here's another question: Would critsandvich be better off without our trading server and the community that has built itself there? I know a lot of you don't go there, but the more one goes there, the more one sees the same names coming back again and again. In addition it is quite easy to find the new weapons there for trade if you don't want to wait for them to drop.
NuclearWatermelon

by VoltySquirrel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:03 pm

NuclearWatermelon wrote:I am quite sad this is how you feel.

On the one hand, yes, these are new items that give you a different way to play the game, and yes, you can buy them in the store. On the contrary though, you can simply wait for them to drop, or trade for them. These new weapons will only be rare for so long, as was the case with the polycount weapons.

The requiring of the hats to complete the pack and get the set bonus was a bad idea, and Valve has fixed this accordingly with the new sets, there is no need to whine about being unable to get a hat for a bonus, because the only three hats that will confer bonuses in game are the three that are already there. (And I should note I particularly hate those three bonuses...)

Volty, you mentioned an argument based on just the Critsandvich servers, well, here's another question: Would critsandvich be better off without our trading server and the community that has built itself there? I know a lot of you don't go there, but the more one goes there, the more one sees the same names coming back again and again. In addition it is quite easy to find the new weapons there for trade if you don't want to wait for them to drop.

You sir, win this thread.
/thread
VoltySquirrel

by Mike808 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:
Mike808 wrote:

yes its an instant heal

Hold on to one for me. I like to have 1 of every weap, whether I use it or not.

ok sure
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

Return to Team Fortress 2