No MGE on Snow's server?

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

No MGE on Snow's server?

by Vivi Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:59 pm

I love MGE myself, but I don't think it really works for the snow server. Everything is going along well, with a full server, and then MGE comes along and people don't know how to use it, they get bored and leave, or they just get annoyed at it. It breaks the flow of a good pub session.

As a "fix" to this, could we perhaps make the "private" server have (no password) MGE on it when it's not being used, and the MGE-lovers can go to that server when they want to practice? I could set it up myself but I wanted to ask for feedback first.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Re: No MGE on Snow's server?

by Phantom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Yes I agree the maps and the way the server set up is great but MGE just dosnt seem good with the server to me.
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin
Resident Ballonicorn Expert

by Saber » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Let's just have a full MGE server. They're always in decent demand and I need to airshawtay.
Saber

by Vivi Hill » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Saber wrote:Let's just have a full MGE server. They're always in decent demand and I need to airshawtay.

Since the private server isn't used much (maybe 4x a week for a couple hours each?), I figured it would be a good way to squeeze some purpose out of it.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Phantom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Benny Hill wrote:
Saber wrote:Let's just have a full MGE server. They're always in decent demand and I need to airshawtay.

Since the private server isn't used much (maybe 4x a week for a couple hours each?), I figured it would be a good way to squeeze some purpose out of it.

Its better imo than having it on the pub server.
Having a server do mge so two people can come and go as they please is much simpler.
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin

by Rologton » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 am

I haven't gotten to play on the new server yet because I've been on vacation with shitty hotel interwebz, but I admit that the one thing I was interested in was the MGE. I really do have fun playing it, but there aren't many particularly active servers that I get good ping on so I don't really do it much.

I would very much like to have a server more or less dedicated to it. Saber's right, people always want to use them and with all the Highlander teams in the community there are certainly a ton of us that will use it.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Strobe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 am

I love MGE myself, but I don't think it really works for the snow server. Everything is going along well, with a full server, and then MGE comes along and people don't know how to use it, they get bored and leave, or they just get annoyed at it. It breaks the flow of a good pub session.

Hey Benny. Remember when we all voted for MGE and you decided MGE was bad so you switched to some bitch ass map, and then everyone left because that wasn't what we wanted to play and you were left all alone in your temple of failure? Keep your grubby dick-sucky hands off of what could be a great server and go back to the goddamned lovenest.
Strobe

by stanley » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:18 am

wow. in all fairness, she was probably really drunk when she wrote that.
also i mge a ton, i find it to be really fun, and i like that the new server offers mge (although ive only been on it a couple times) but i guess i dont see a problem with moving the feature to a different server

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Fencerboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 am

Strobe wrote:

Hey Benny. Remember when we all voted for MGE and you decided MGE was bad so you switched to some bitch ass map

Ya that was extremely aggravating.
Also. the map was switched when people were in the MIDDLE of MGE matches just a few minutes before by legendary surgeon (to kong king)

I think their intention was to pop the server but we can't forget that Snowsickle's server is NOT slaybox and should not have the same needs (like constant 24/24).
People who go in there WANT to play MGE not kong king which was already running on FB2....
If you want to play the stock maps we have 4 other servers for that.
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Vivi Hill » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:00 am

Strobe wrote:Hey Benny. Remember when we all voted for MGE and you decided MGE was bad so you switched to some bitch ass map, and then everyone left because that wasn't what we wanted to play and you were left all alone in your temple of failure? Keep your grubby dick-sucky hands off of what could be a great server and go back to the goddamned lovenest.

I didn't actually switch the map, that was another admin. I was in the middle of an MGE round myself. I also don't play on the lovenest, like, ever. I feel like you don't know me at all, so try not to jump to conclusions. Thanks.

After helping build the community and the servers almost from scratch, I have a pretty good understanding about how server setups work. The server was completely full for the standard maps and for the custom maps. After it went to MGE, the server lost more than half of the players. Sure, switching to another map in the middle of MGE lost even more players, which is why I wouldn't have done that myself, but the point remains that, setup as it is, the server does not work as a combination pubbing/MGE server. You really can't do that effectively because only about 10% of the people who play on the server even know what MGE is, let alone want to play on it.

I understand your wishes for an MGE server, which is why I suggested we turn the private server into a 24/7 MGE server, while it's not being used for matches. If Snow's server is going to take off, it needs to attract a specific set of followers, not two types of followers. You don't want some people joining the server to MGE, and others joining to play a custom map. One group will vote for MGE and the other for custom maps, and people will leave when either gets voted for.

Additionally, quickplay is not going to help us at all, since it's a nocrits server and has custom maps. The server is doing amazingly well despite the odds, but IMO, MGE is going to mess things up if it stays in the rotation. Again, the private server is literally on the same machine, it barely gets used, and it has 24 slots available. So the MGE lovers wouldn't be losing anything, and the people who want to enjoy the snow server without having MGE interruptions will be accomodated.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Phantom » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:14 am

Fencerboy wrote:
Strobe wrote:

Hey Benny. Remember when we all voted for MGE and you decided MGE was bad so you switched to some bitch ass map

Ya that was extremely aggravating.
Also. the map was switched when people were in the MIDDLE of MGE matches just a few minutes before by legendary surgeon (to kong king)

I think their intention was to pop the server but we can't forget that Snowsickle's server is NOT slaybox and should not have the same needs (like constant 24/24).
People who go in there WANT to play MGE not kong king which was already running on FB2....
If you want to play the stock maps we have 4 other servers for that.

At the same time I and the other wonderfully fantastic people at westbox community all really commented about how the ugc/custom maps were amazing and would like to play there more often.

If people want to play mge we should have a server that way groups of two people can mge as much as their hearts desire and people who want custom/ugc can go to the pub.
I was left with the IMPRESSION from the other night that those custom and ugc maps were the main selling point of the server.

To strobe please remember to be sober when posting on the forums. :lol:
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin

by Dr. Raven » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:37 am

I like the idea of there being a private server for MGE. People are attracted to Snow's server because of the variety of maps that everyone can play on together(and nocritz!), not entirely for training. Those that do want to use MGE would probably have a better time using a server dedicated for it rather than having their training interrupted by a map switch.
Jimmy Status:
☑ Rustled
☐ Unrustled
Dr. Raven

by GoDM1N » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 am

My thoughts. Like Benny said a lot of people don't know what or how MGE works and it kills the server. At the same time Strobe is also right because we are marketing this as a tryhard server, and MGE is something tryhard players tend to like. Its not like MGE is rocket science either, and people will learn to use it. So I don't find the fact that some people don't know how it works to be a valid reason to get rid of it. As the server grows and gains more regs that won't be a problem, which will also fix the problem of it killing the server.

Also unless Finger is able to access the private server I don't think it'll work unless somehow you can do this all automatically because lets face it, Benny isn't around nearly as much as Finger or Fail. Hes got too much school etc. It also wouldn't be fair to the MGE server players whenever you wanted to change it to the private server. So I see that option as a complete mess. We could however simply make another server for it, Its not like we don't have the server power to do it apparently. We could have like 15 or more if we wanted. This all said I still think we should go for the gold and keep MGE around to see if people learn it and like it.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Rologton » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am

GoDM1N wrote:We could have like 15 or more if we wanted.

In my experience, the more servers a community has, the shittier it becomes.

But that's because they keep piling on stock servers and need to use bots to fill them, as well as a host of other problems to pay for them. But a server dedicated to MGE would work out well, I think. Personally, I'd use it all the time.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Vivi Hill » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 pm

GoDM1N wrote:Also unless Finger is able to access the private server I don't think it'll work unless somehow you can do this all automatically

The private server is on the same box as Slaybox 1, Slaybox 2, Fun 2, and Snow's server. Also, anyone doing practice should either have sourcemod access or rcon to be able to switch it to passworded mode and kick people out.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by GoDM1N » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Rologton wrote:

But that's because they keep piling on stock servers and need to use bots to fill them, as well as a host of other problems to pay for them. But a server dedicated to MGE would work out well, I think. Personally, I'd use it all the time.

Oh I'm not suggesting that we have that many servers, but we could if we wanted to.

Benny Hill wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:Also unless Finger is able to access the private server I don't think it'll work unless somehow you can do this all automatically

The private server is on the same box as Slaybox 1, Slaybox 2, Fun 2, and Snow's server. Also, anyone doing practice should either have sourcemod access or rcon to be able to switch it to passworded mode and kick people out.

Well you'd still have the problem of randomly kicking people out, and we could just have both anyway so I don't get why we have to juggle the private and the MGE as one.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 am

Strobe wrote:

Hey Benny. Remember when we all voted for MGE and you decided MGE was bad so you switched to some bitch ass map, and then everyone left because that wasn't what we wanted to play and you were left all alone in your temple of failure? Keep your grubby dick-sucky hands off of what could be a great server and go back to the goddamned lovenest.

Somebody's mad.
VoltySquirrel

by Saber » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:
Strobe wrote:

Somebody's mad.

Strobe being Strobe. This is basically her default.
Saber

by BigShovel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm

I like to MGE. A dedicated MGE server would be swell.
BigShovel

by Phantom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 pm

GoDM1N wrote:
Rologton wrote:

Oh I'm not suggesting that we have that many servers, but we could if we wanted to.

Benny Hill wrote:

Well you'd still have the problem of randomly kicking people out, and we could just have both anyway so I don't get why we have to juggle the private and the MGE as one.

I agree with you there we can always just make a mge dedicated server, it dosnt have to be the private server.
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2