Raw Input: Reddit post I made (useful info)

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Raw Input: Reddit post I made (useful info)

by Vivi Hill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/ek ... raw_input/
After feeling slightly depressed that I couldn't play scout at all in tf2lobby, and failing again and again, seeing other scouts dealing out 100hp per shot and only getting in at maximum 20hp on mine, I figured out the problem: my mouse input was being mangled by the Windows API.
After choosing the Raw Input mode in Settings>Mouse (Clarification: in TF2's settings) I instantly found my turning to be loads smoother, and I was consistently getting 50-100 hp per shot as a Scout with close range scattergun.
This also fixes an issue I had on my laptop where moving (holding down keys) caused the mouse movement to stutter or feel awkward.
So I recommend to any TF2ers who play scout who feel they can't aim, or find tf2 to be choppy while turning to make sure they try Raw Input out. It helped me.
Edit: I was using a Microsoft Mouse when I got these problems.
Also, they added the Raw Input mode in a relatively recent update a couple weeks ago.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Re: Raw Input: Reddit post I made (useful info)

by Maringue » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

If you switch to raw input, how can you adjust your mouse sensitivity?
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Smeemo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:09 pm

For those of you with a high-dpi mouse:
I enabled this option with my 3500 dpi mouse and couldn't hit anything. I assume this protip is only for those with generic, low-dpi mice (mouses?).

Assuming you're using Windows, you can change your mouse sensitivity through the Control Panel, through your mouse's driver software, or in-game, either through using "Options" or using the console command "sensitivity <value>." For instance, I have "sensitivity .4" saved in my cfg.
Smeemo

by Vivi Hill » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:06 am

This tip isn't about sensitivity, it's about mouse acceleration (different things). Windows mouse acceleration is pretty horrible, and seems to depend on random things.

If you turn off windows mouse acceleration this tip will probably do nothing.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Smeemo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 am

Woooo I really shouldn't get on any forums after a few drinks. Someone had recently told me to change.. some... new mouse setting that was added, and after I did so, my aim was wonky. That must've been something different. [edit: It was "Enhance pointer precision."]

But YES everyone should turn off mouse acceleration.
Smeemo

by Toaster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Smeemo wrote:everyone should turn off mouse acceleration.

QFT
La migliore armatura è di tenere fuori di gamma
Toaster

by Maringue » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't know if it matters when raw input is disabled, but I've had enhanced pointer precision on as well. I'm going to see what it's lime now that I've turned it off.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Failhorse » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 pm

I did this. I'm missing a ton of shots now, but the shots i get are generally of the meat type now. As long as its not Smeemo I generally fare better.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Smeemo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:17 am

It might take a little while to get used to not having to twitch so hard to hit a moving target, but your tracking skillz should greatly increase in a little time without mouse acceleration to worry about.
Smeemo

by ReTrO.VeRsIoN » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:16 pm

And this is why I buy expensive fancy 50 dollar mice that glow and match the colors on my tower and keyboard.
Yeah... umm... yeah, that's a... it's a phone, I think, I mean, it has an ear piece, and it makes noises, that's a phone, right?
ReTrO.VeRsIoN

Return to Team Fortress 2