PLR: Why is it in our rotation?

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

PLR: Why is it in our rotation?

by cant speall » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:04 pm

I understand that plr is fun every once and a while, but with the current voting system it comes up far too often in my opinion. If I had any say I would take it out completely, and leave it up to nominations in order to bring the maps to vote. People see the word payload and then instavote for it. Regulars leave, weak players stay, and when it's all said and done the maps last too long and no one has any fun (this is, of course, and exaggeration, but my point stands).

So, you might ask yourself, what the fuck is the point of this post? I'm asking if there is some way to eliminate PLR from the forced map vote rotation. Please PLEASE consider it. At the very least make it last only one set of 3 rounds. 6 rounds of plr is a fucking nightmare.
cant speall
Donator

Re: PLR: Why is it in our rotation?

by fingerman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:24 pm

I hope valve makes a plr_2fort so we can start playing it.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Techercizer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 pm

fingerman wrote:I hope valve makes a plr_2fort so we can start playing it.

plr_arena_2fort_turbine_mariokart_rc2.bsp
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by Saber » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 pm

SIX ROUNDS OF HIGHTOWER YOU SAY?
Saber

by mrpikmin2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

The main problem is the map vote of the following options:

4. capture the flag
5. Payload race
6. King of the Hill

all of which are odd gamemodes in which many players, myself have trouble enjoying. All of these gamemodes devolve into random deathmatch pretty quickly for the most part, for which I usually go sticky jumper demo, in that kind of chaos luck is more important then skill. Beloved admins, please remove this set of options. I promise I'll wait at least a week before bitching about the new system!
mrpikmin2

by Wakka » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 pm

screw you ctf and koth are my favorite gametypes
Wakka

by mrpikmin2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Wakka wrote:screw you ctf and koth are my favorite gametypes

Not saying remove those game modes, or any game modes. Just saying remove that vote that makes those 3 the only options.
mrpikmin2

by Wakka » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 pm

nah make it the only vote that comes up plz
Wakka

by Stolloss » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Would it be possible to have an 'other' option which changes the vote options for a second game mode vote? That way, if there are enough people who don't like any of the options, they can be skipped. This way, people who want to play the map types given can vote for it, and people who just want to skip it all can vote other. Majority/significant amount of voters wins.

I can see how this would be abused by people who only want to play one map type or by griefers to stall map voting, but not allowing an 'other' option on the second vote would eliminate that. There aren't that many game modes, after all (unless someone wants to play TC for some reason).
Stolloss
Donator

by Rologton » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I don't know what you have against CTF and KOTH, but as for PLR:

Honestly, every time people vote for it, half of the people playing talk about how much they hate it. I know I hate it as a gametype. I don't mind hightower as much, but that fact that they take FOREVER gets really old, really fast. I will never understand why we play PLR every 2 or 3 maps, yet almost never get a good game of 5cp going. :/
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Meto » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm

I agree on 5 CP. I always vote for it :(

Not a fan of CTF but I enjoy KOTH.
Meto
Donator
the Medic

by duck » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 pm

personally, i preform best on plr and koth

i did some research on myself and found some cool stuff

overall preformance:
hightower: kdr of about 2.33
nucleus: kdr of about 2.9
turbine: kdr of about 2.5

my normal kdr is about 1.75 (but in the last month its been at about 2)

i know that kdr is a bad example, but for me those maps are easier for me as a tf2 player and i like them better
duck

by Vivi Hill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't think a more complicated vote system than the one we have is a good idea as it seems not many people understand it anyway as it is already. The main reason we get those votes is because we don't allow playing a map type (like payload) two times in a row. This is because we almost always get people voting for payload if it's an option. It's a tough balance between repetition and not having lots of plr/koth options.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by mrpikmin2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm

duck wrote:personally, i p(er)form best on plr and koth

i did some research on myself and found some cool stuff

overall preformance:
hightower: kdr of about 2.33
nucleus: kdr of about 2.9
turbine: kdr of about 2.5

my normal kdr is about 1.75 (but in the last month its been at about 2)

i know that kdr is a bad example, but for me those maps are easier for me as a tf2 player and i like them better

Just because you enjoy getting easy kills on a simple map type isn't evidence that it's a good map type. However, if your only indicator of fun is K:D, why not play on valve servers?
mrpikmin2

by Rologton » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Benny Hill wrote:I don't think a more complicated vote system than the one we have is a good idea as it seems not many people understand it anyway as it is already. The main reason we get those votes is because we don't allow playing a map type (like payload) two times in a row. This is because we almost always get people voting for payload if it's an option. It's a tough balance between repetition and not having lots of plr/koth options.

I don't think we have to make it more complicated, just make PLR appear less.

Since we already don't allow 2 game types in a row, why not make it so, say, it takes 3 rotations to get back to the same gametype? That way we'd see more of a diversity in the game types, if nothing else.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Vivi Hill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm

This would actually make things worse in the case of the original problem, because we'd play through all the "good" gametypes and be stuck with a vote for ctf or plr. There are only cp,ctf,plr,pl, and koth, so the votes would look something like this:

cp,ctf,plr,pl,koth, cp voted
ctf,plr,pl,koth, pl voted
ctf,plr,koth, koth voted
ctf,plr, ctf voted
cp,plr, cp voted
pl,plr, pl voted
plr,koth, koth voted

Assuming no one votes for plr given 'better' alternatives It would actually result in plr being on the list more exclusively than it is now. Right now it's something like this:

cp,ctf,plr,pl,koth, cp voted
ctf,plr,pl,koth, pl voted
ctf,cp,plr,koth, koth voted
ctf,cp,plr,pl, cp voted

etc, which gives people more choice over which maptypes they vote on, but allows for plr to be voted on. The main problem seems to be that people like plr or think they'll like plr better than alternatives like koth or ctf. This isn't something increasing maptype diversity will solve though, IMO.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Havusin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 am

It seems to fall out as the "number 4" option all too often. I friggin hate PLR and it does come up far too often.
Havusin
Donator

by nicewithit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 pm

my biggest issue is the fact that they're all 2 rounds of plr... after playing a 45 min round of hightower the last thing i want to do is slog through another round.

even if you can't reduce hightower to just 1 round, if you could put a timelimit on hightower it would greatly be appreciated

the other plrs, please reduce to just one round imo. two rounds of 3 stages of plr_nightfall or pipeline is too much
nicewithit
Blue Admin

by Snowsickle » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Two things that really need to happen with our voting system:

Some other servers use the F1-F6 keys for voting. This, in theory, stops the vote prompt from locking up your weapon switch which continues to be my biggest issue with the whole thing. I'd grab whatever mod they use for that and start screwing around with it.

Second, the vote should always include all of the different types of maps (in a random ordering), regardless of what was chosen most recently. The same map shouldn't appear twice, but the same type should. A lot of times, I'd rather play PL twice in a row rather than PL and PLR. I imagine plenty of people feel the same way. What would be an interesting solution to experiment with is to require a larger majority to elect the same map type twice. Initially it takes > 50% of the votes, but beyond that it takes > 60, 70 and so on. This sort of ensures at least a bit of variety on the servers.

If anyone has technical issues setting this system up, I'd be happy to do it.
Snowsickle
Blue Admin

by doppelganger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

I like PLR... I think most pick it as a substitute for pl though.
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by GoldfishRT » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am

I enjoy PLR but I'm in favor of time limits on those maps. As has been said, spending an hour and a half on Hightower (which I actually love) is a bit exhausting.
Need mo poniez

GoldfishRT
Donator

by Rumors » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 am

I'd just take it out of the map voting options every 3-5 maps.
Image[/url]Image
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

by Failhorse » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Both Pipeline and Hightower have map limits. But there is no round timer. So the cap must happen for round to end.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2