Pikmin's Medic Thread

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Pikmin's Medic Thread

by mrpikmin2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:01 pm

So, when browsing the hours spent on each class, medic has always, (or at least after learning the basics of the game and getting off the nightteam server I regulared back when I was new) been my most played class by quite a bit. However, when I join servers, it is all too common to see either 0 or only 1 medic. This baffles me, as medic is the most useful class in the game! The whole balance of the game's maps depends on uber pushes/defenses! Anyway, I'd like to make this thread to explain why I love the class so much and why you should too!

1. Medic is the best class to learn with. Even newer players can be immensely useful if they simply keep all of the players around them overhealed! Specifically, an overhealed soldier, scout, demo, or heavy can do much more then they can do without an overheal. By playing medic, you give your team a huge advantage, even if you never uber! Speaking of ubers, newer players usually have misconceptions about the charge. When using an uber, do not just focus on getting kills with it! An ubercharge is extremely important to save players from death by quickly switching it around, keeping territory by ubering against a push, and can even be used to save an otherwise lost cap/point. Protip: If you need to use an uber the second you get it, hold down right click to make sure it pops the second you get it.

2. Medic is a lot of fun to play with friends. There are few better feelings in tf2 then completely mowing over player after player with a trusted friend and a kritzkrieg.

3. Medic can be a lot of fun to play independently. While you should always keep people overhealed and build uber, going for ubersaw kills and crusader's crossbow snipes can make the class a lot of fun, while still being useful. However, do not use these weapons if the people around you are not overhealed. That feeling when ubersawing someone who thinks they are getting a free kill is great!

(some of the best medic frags I've ever seen)

4. Medic chaining! Simply put, a medic ubering another medic, him getting 4 ubersaw hits, then ubering the first medic, him getting 4 ubersaw hits, repeat until time runs out. Extremely high difficulty, extremely high trust required, extremely fun. What I think of as medic on hard mode. If anyone wants to, just let me know in game. Even more fun if you voice chat using steam with each other.

5. Appreciation. Everyone loves a good medic.

6. It's the best way to practice movement/dodging/surfing. Since you do not have to think about aiming, this allows you to focus on making sure you don't get hurt.

7. The ability to control everyone life. Someone harassing you in voice or chat? Someone take the hp pack while you burned to death? make sure not to heal them until they start behaving! Selectively healing accomplishes much more then raging!

8. Awesome hats :P

Anyway, hopefully we can see some more doctors on CSN. Just remember to have fun, feeling like you are force to play medic isn't the right mindset to play well.
Last edited by mrpikmin2 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrpikmin2

Re: Pikmin's Medic Thread

by Vivi Hill » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:59 pm

I love medicing, but I actually play medic less nowadays because I want to get my average more even! Of course, I don't have a problem playing medic, but I just feel like there isn't much I can improve as a medic and I'd like to be a better spy and sniper, and play more as a heavy.

I do agree with you though, medic is certainly my favorite class to play as it's generally the most satisfying and less stressful.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by medkitz » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:51 pm

I enjoy being a pyro, i love being a pyro when a good medic pockets me. My god , i will waste my last airblast just to save that medic.
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Techercizer » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:07 pm

I always switch off of Medic if someone switches over to a 2nd one (unless it's someone pretty talented like pikmin or surgeon). They always find ways to trip me up.

Medic for the win, though.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by keeganzero » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:21 pm

I use to play medic all the time when I first started play TF2. Haven't played a good round as a medic in a long while, maybe I'll put my doctor gloves back on soon.
keeganzero
Donator
Facestab

by mrpikmin2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:35 pm

mrpikmin2

by Rologton » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I played Scout so long (much like you on Nightteam servers when I started) that he by far has most of my hours, but I also love Medic. I consider both of them my main, as 90% of the time I'm playing one of the two (although I have recently been trying to branch out to the others).

Realistically, I'm really better at Medic then I am Scout. I redilly admit that I'm not really at the level as the rest of you CSn guys as almost all of you have significantly more hours playing then I do, yet I often find myself really excelling playing Medic. Sometimes I'll have a really great Scout game (like yesterday I had one where I was kicking ass and feeling good), but otherwise I'm just happy to get an even KDR and get a couple good points. Yet Medic I generally top the scoreboard, and I've had all of my best Medic rounds on the CSn servers. Honestly, I will never understand why he's unpopular. Learning to dodge and surf spam, keep yourself and your teammates alive, spycheck and manage Ubers, all at the same time, is AWESOME. Also, learning to defend yourself with one of the hardest to aim weapons in the game is pretty tough.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Dominus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Honestly, sometimes I find playing medic to be boring. This is probably because I have no sound and no mic, but I can't help it for now. Most of the time I find myself switching the heal beam between teammates and just chilling in the back. The rest is pop uber, flash uber, back off, heal, pop, die. Occasionally a nice spy, scout or derpy pyro will let me ubersaw them or shoot them in the face with the crossbow, but that almost never happens since I don't want to get sniped or jumped by running too far ahead.

When I see 0 medics on a full team, I feel obligated to go medic, but if there is at least one medic, I tend to tell myself "he's got it covered" and go play something else.

It's probably a blast pocketing and talking to a friend, I just think most people play TF2 to burn, shoot and make gibs.
Dominus

by Mike808 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:53 pm

TF2 Medic in a nutshell

When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by mrpikmin2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Dominus wrote:Honestly, sometimes I find playing medic to be boring. This is probably because I have no sound and no mic, but I can't help it for now. Most of the time I find myself switching the heal beam between teammates and just chilling in the back. The rest is pop uber, flash uber, back off, heal, pop, die. Occasionally a nice spy, scout or derpy pyro will let me ubersaw them or shoot them in the face with the crossbow, but that almost never happens since I don't want to get sniped or jumped by running too far ahead.

When I see 0 medics on a full team, I feel obligated to go medic, but if there is at least one medic, I tend to tell myself "he's got it covered" and go play something else.

It's probably a blast pocketing and talking to a friend, I just think most people play TF2 to burn, shoot and make gibs.

I have fun overextending and dying trying to go for an ubersaw kill and pop uber right after, if you only want to only go for being mvp, I guess that might not be fun. Stop being such a tryhard :P
mrpikmin2

by Dominus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 pm

I have fun by either topfragging or doing relatively well with a hipster weapon....and medics don't really have hipster weapons to speak of.
Dominus

by Retro Al » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 pm

To be honest, I think the number of regulars that play/main medic is, in part, what makes this community so awesome-tastic.

I rarely have problems with medic-less teams.
Retro Al

by Havusin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 am

mrpikmin2 wrote:7. The ability to control everyone life. Someone harassing you in voice or chat? Someone take the hp pack while you burned to death? make sure not to heal them until they start behaving! Selectively healing accomplishes much more then raging!

This.....

Awesome post. I'll also say that there are some really good medics on the CSn servers. As a medic main, it's nice to work in conjunction with a lot of the folks on here.
Havusin
Donator

Return to Team Fortress 2