Headset recommendations?

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Headset recommendations?

by Smeemo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:35 am

My low-end Logitech wired headset is finally shorting-out after 6 months or so of use. I'm curious whether anyone here would have any recommendations for a new headset. It seems like a wireless headset would survive more wear and tear, so what wireless headsets are you kids using out there?
Smeemo

Re: Headset recommendations?

by VoltySquirrel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:13 am

Well, I don't use a wireless. I usually get on of the Turtle Beach headsets, especially the cross platform ones.
VoltySquirrel

by Zclipse » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 am

Toaster and I use the razer carcharias, it has great sound and is hella comfortable. Has a braided cord so you can't run over it with your chair and break it like my previous headsets. Its amazing to say the least. Ty toaster for recommending me it.

Steelseries are a good choice to. Same with Seinheisers.
I'mma tell you a secret.
Zclipse

by Mugalugdug » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:52 am

Zclipse wrote:Toaster and I use the razer carcharias.

Add a third name to that. While they do sound great, they aren't able to retain the sound within the headset at higher volume levels. This sound can actually be picked up by the mic, so you wind up with background noise while you're talking, much like if you had speakers in the background (not to the same degree however).

But considering the only downside occurs when you crank them up to earsplitting volume levels, they are a fantastic headset. Plus the padding around the ears is a warm, comforting fuzz... keeps me grounded in reality.
Mugalugdug
Donator
is high on LIFE!

by Failhorse » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:50 am

Smeemo try these
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/IE10.html

I use the IE30s (which are duel driver) but had a set of IE10's for home/ipod use. They are very nice in-ears. Meant for live sound applications. I'd use mine when I play out ect. They wires detach from the earbuds if under stress and the first 2 inches have a braided wire insert so you can't accidentally pull the connectors apart.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Maringue » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:33 pm

I use this sucker: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-HS-980-Fatal1ty-Professional/dp/B002BH3JDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291397502&sr=8-1

My headset died and this one was on sale. For the sale price (I think it's on sale again now) I am very happy with it. I like being able to take the mic off so I can use them as a regular headphones as well.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Bullwinkle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 pm

I've got these. Been quite happy, and I'd say there one of the best surround sound headsets on the market. Extremely comfortable as well. Yes, quite expensive, though.

http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-S ... CCAT-Kave/
Bullwinkle

by Echoplex » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:01 pm

I use these Sony studio monitor headphones - (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826159110) and they are INCREDIBLE for the price. I got mine for $60. I just use a little cheapo Koss mic that I keep wrapped around my neck for talking

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:03 pm

I personally recommend anything from Turtle Beach, but I use these in particular. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-dpx21.aspx
Best headset I've ever used. Period.
VoltySquirrel

by Toaster » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Zclipse wrote:Toaster and I use the razer carcharias, it has great sound and is hella comfortable. Has a braided cord so you can't run over it with your chair and break it like my previous headsets. Its amazing to say the least. Ty toaster for recommending me it.

Steelseries are a good choice to. Same with Seinheisers.

Scary... I was going to write the exact same thing. o.o
La migliore armatura è di tenere fuori di gamma
Toaster

by Toaster » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Mugalugdug wrote:
Zclipse wrote:Toaster and I use the razer carcharias.
they aren't able to retain the sound within the headset at higher volume levels.

you sure yours aren't defective? Don't think I've ever encountered that problem and I often have all my volume setting maxed out when I play tf2 with music on. Since you mention it though, some youtube video's will have really bad crackling audio, is that what you mean?
Toaster

by Ackybur » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 pm

I spent 15$ at walmar 12 months ago. Solid choice.
Ackybur
Donator

by jameless » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm

LoL. All these nice headsets. Makes me ashamed to say that I use the logitech USB mic that came with rockband.
jameless

by Mike808 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

When I got kicked from casual...
Broseph Stalin : why the fuck would you kick him
Rehvii : why did u kick him?
Rehvii : dumbasses
Rehvii : now we are going to get fucked
Broseph Stalin : he was literally the best engie I've seen in a valve server ever
Mike808
Blue Admin
I blame Snowsickle

by Fiend » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:20 am

I've got a $30 Logitech headset, probably comparable to the one you broke as of starting this thread. I used to beat the shit out of it by getting it stuck on/around/under my chair, but I just rigged up some paper clips to make a little rack for them to rest on loop the cord over. Took some discipline to actually use the hooks, but now it's safe and out of sight. Call me MacGuyver :D
Fiend

by Smeemo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm

I had been using pipe cleaners to hold the wire in a certain way so as to complete the connection (why do I have pipe cleaners but not paper clips at my computer table? shhhhhhhhh this is not important), but the headset is so messed up now I can only use it if I hold the wire at a funky angle with my left hand. So I can watch Youtube (fuck TV), but playing games with the sound coming through the speakers just isn't as good.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Right now the Carichas look the most appealing, especially so since I took Toaster and Z's advice earlier this year when I went mouse-shopping (I lurve my Deathadder). I'm broke as a joke at the moment, but I'm hoping a little Xmas moolah will allow me to pick up something after the new year. Thanks again, and I'll post the details of what I bought and how I like it here in a few weeks.
Smeemo

by Toaster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Smeemo wrote:I had been using pipe cleaners to hold the wire in a certain way so as to complete the connection (

Too bad you didn't enter it in the razer competition lol, sounds like it could have been a winner
Toaster

by Maringue » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:37 am

Smeemo wrote:(why do I have pipe cleaners but not paper clips at my computer table? shhhhhhhhh this is not important)

Pothead.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Smeemo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:03 pm

I bought my new Razer Carcharias yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. It's solidly built, and very comfortable. The earpads are covered in velour (?), and all of the headset's weight is distributed across the top of the head instead of partially on the ears. I had to fiddle with my sound settings a bit, but the audio has been fantastic since I did so. My only minor gripe is my voice is still quieter than desired using TF2's in-game voicechat, even with the mic's output cranked up on the hardware and game settings. However, I've had no problems using VOIP programs like Mumble. I was hesitant to drop quite a bit of cash on a piece of hardware that often gets tossed around and occasionally sat on, but as long as these last a few months, I'd consider it worth the price.
Smeemo

by Ackybur » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:19 pm

When I was 15 I had a headset that broke in half. I used a curved hanger and tape to fix it
Ackybur
Donator

Return to Team Fortress 2