Pointless Rant Time With Volty: Sticky/Rocket Jumper Nerf

Discuss your favorite war-based hat simulator.

Pointless Rant Time With Volty: Sticky/Rocket Jumper Nerf

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:12 pm

As you all know, I like to whine, which usually results in this response....

Watermelon says...

But I don't care. So, instead of bitching about it in game, I'm going to bitch about it on the forums. So, today's topic is: The usefulness, or now lack thereof, of the Sticky/Rocket Jumper.

When this first came out, I was a huge fan. I liked the original premise, and I love the unique way it was used in actual play. A Soldier with the Rocket Jumper, Shotgun, and Pain Train was a faux-Scout. When I read about the Sticky Jumper, I was even more excited about the possibilities threre. Then I read about the nerf. Because people will whine about anything, Valve decided to nerf the weapons so that you would have 100hp whilst equipping it. And I was infuriated.

Now, I there was no point to the weapon at all. Why? well, 100 hp is crippling. You can't do shit. Your actually weaker than a Scout and slower. Sure, jumping away is easy, but in combat, you might as well be a spectator. What about the practice uses, you say? Well, all you need to do to get the same effect the weapons give is turn on sv_cheats and use the hurtme command. So, now we have 2 weapons i spent 98 cents on taking up space in my backpack. Thanks Valve.
VoltySquirrel

Re: Pointless Rant Time With Volty: Sticky/Rocket Jumper Ner

by Maringue » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:46 pm

They were initially designed for people to practice the different rocket/sticky jumps used for more competitive style play. They were never meant to be used in normal server play. So, this isn't really a nerf, this is just Valve adjusting the weapon so that it does what they initially wanted it to do.

The sticky jumper is especially overpowered as it originally came out. As a demo, you could use that to launch across the map (waaaay farther than a rocket jump), and once you land, you've got your pipe bomb launcher that still does full damage. I'm very glad they fixed this.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by VoltySquirrel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Maringue wrote:They were initially designed for people to practice the different rocket/sticky jumps used for more competitive style play. They were never meant to be used in normal server play. So, this isn't really a nerf, this is just Valve adjusting the weapon so that it does what they initially wanted it to do.

The sticky jumper is especially overpowered as it originally came out. As a demo, you could use that to launch across the map (waaaay farther than a rocket jump), and once you land, you've got your pipe bomb launcher that still does full damage. I'm very glad they fixed this.

That's all fine and good, but with the fall damage, it serves no purpose. It is much easier and cheaper to just type in hurtme -1000000 than to spend half of your time practicing running to a healthpack. The weapon doesn't need to be as powerful as it was, just make the "adjustment" a little more lenient.
VoltySquirrel

by Smeemo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:28 pm

What Maringue said. Those items were never designed or balanced to be used in actual play. But rant on, brother.
Smeemo

Return to Team Fortress 2