Let's talk football.

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Let's talk football.

by Rologton » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah, yeah, the season's over, but the offseason can be just as exciting. All of our teams are making moves in FA, and with the draft coming up in two months, every day makes speculating about it more interesting as we see how our teams are fixing their needs. Also, I love football and miss talking about it. So let's do that.

A lot of people are saying the Giants need to draft a wide receiver this year, but I really don't think that's as big of a need as everybody thinks. In fact, I don't think our receiving corp is a need at all. Everybody is freaking out about Hakeem Nick leaving the team and worried that we don't have a big play wide receiver. For starters, we do with Cruz, who I've always felt was the better receiver anyway. It's just that he's in the slot and not on the outside. Also, we have Randle. Yes he had quite a few bundles this season, but he's extremely talented. He was a second round pick that we grabbed because he had so many similarities to Nicks. He has big play abilities like Nicks had and has shown it in the past. A lot of people agree that when he breaks out, which I fully expect him to, he's easily capable of being a #1 receiver. Behind them we have Jernigan, who proved last season that he's a serious play maker when he's given the chance, and we just brought back Manningham, who isn't a particularly amazing receiver but is reliable and solid on the outside. Finally, the Giants proved with Cruz that they are capable of finding the talent at this position through the undrafted free agents and bring it out of them. So, they really don't need to address the position during the draft this year because the group we have should have no trouble working defenses with Eli.

What they need to do in the draft is find a starting tight end that they will be able to rely on for years. I have my heart set on Eric Ebron and I firmly believe that he should be their first pick. But if he's not there at #12 (which he should be) than there are other valid starters that they can find in the second round. I will be genuinely a little pissed if he's there at #12 and they pass on him, though. After that, every other pick should be in the trenches. Find a starting center, even if we need to develop him for a year, get somebody that can play guard or that would allow Pugh to move inside, and find a good defensive tackle and a pass rusher. Each pick outside of the tight end should be for one of those. It will add a ton of depth at positions that need them, and can make for great units in the future.

Anyway, there's my thoughts. Join me in the NFL goodness. Also, I'm all for college ball, too.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

Re: Let's talk football.

by taco man » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 am

Colts are actually looking good this year, we just need to focus on our defense a little bit. With Reggie coming back, T.Y being a fucking boss, and nicks joining us, it looks good.

Jim Irsay is also a fucking moron.

lolololol jets got decker and vick

next year is gonna be interesting.
taco man
Donator
Dota 2. for it all. Its a 30$ value!

by cloud » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:55 pm

... go Detroit?
wooooooooooo....
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by megamoose » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 am

Eagles are f*cking screwed. Oh joy to another bad year
megamoose
Donator

by Maringue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:25 am

Rolo, I don't know what player the Giants should draft first, but there first move should be to fire Tom Coughlin. Why exactly is he still a head coach in the NFL? The problem is that the Giants are good at beating terrible teams, but when it comes to an actual skilled opponent, they never can get the job done.

I saw a few of their games last season and I took one thing away from them: a high school football team could pass for 400 yards on the Giants secondary. So they probably need to get that worked out before they get all offensive minded.

And as a Bears fan, I can say that Eli's talent to hype ratio is right about where Cutler's is. And that's terrible. We were at a party and someone tried to make the statement that Eli is the best Manning quarterback. Even including the aneurysm that Payton had at the last Super Bowl, he's still so much better it's not even funny.

And on top of his shitty play and even shittier attitude towards his teammates, Culter's wife has to come out as an anti-vaccination person? Like I needed more reasons to be depressed about how shitty my team is going to do this year. Someone really needs to pull a Weapon XI on Cutler:
Seriously bro, so bitching at your teammates/anyone within a 50 foot radius every time you screw up and throw the ball. And try not to throw it to the other team some of the time.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Ron Swansons Stache » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Maringue wrote:Rolo, I don't know what player the Giants should draft first, but there first move should be to fire Tom Coughlin. Why exactly is he still a head coach in the NFL? The problem is that the Giants are good at beating terrible teams, but when it comes to an actual skilled opponent, they never can get the job done.

I saw a few of their games last season and I took one thing away from them: a high school football team could pass for 400 yards on the Giants secondary. So they probably need to get that worked out before they get all offensive minded.

And as a Bears fan, I can say that Eli's talent to hype ratio is right about where Cutler's is. And that's terrible. We were at a party and someone tried to make the statement that Eli is the best Manning quarterback. Even including the aneurysm that Payton had at the last Super Bowl, he's still so much better it's not even funny.

And on top of his shitty play and even shittier attitude towards his teammates, Culter's wife has to come out as an anti-vaccination person? Like I needed more reasons to be depressed about how shitty my team is going to do this year. Someone really needs to pull a Weapon XI on Cutler:
Seriously bro, so bitching at your teammates/anyone within a 50 foot radius every time you screw up and throw the ball. And try not to throw it to the other team some of the time.

The Giants DID bolster their secondary they signed two strong CBs in Rodgers-Cromartie and Walter Thurmond. They've actually had a rock solid offseason.

I'm a CRAZY 49er fan, seriously during football seasons Sundays might as well be taken out of my calendar for anything else but 49ers football. The Niners haven't had too spectacular of an offseason but I'm super excited for the draft. We need a CB and maybe a WR for the future and we'll hopefully be contending again for the Super Bowl this year if those pesky Seahawks manage to take a step down. This draft is LOADED with talent and depth, especially at WR/CB so the Giants and Niners who both have those same needs will have a ton of talent to choose from. I personally think Mike Evans, a WR who will likely go around 12-15 is going to be an absolute STUD to wherever he goes.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Rologton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Fire Coughlin? Are you out of your mind? The guy that brought us two of the most miraculous all time Super Bowl wins, one of which came with the 31st ranked O-Line in the NFL? The guy who kept the team together to win 7 of 3 after an 0 and 6 start? Coach is the guy who, no matter how bad things look, still brings the team together and still makes them competitive. No way, no how. As far as I'm concerned, Coughlin can coach this team on his death bed. Anyway, they're going to groom McAdoo under him for the next few years and he'll take over.

As for the secondary, some analysts are saying that after the moves they made, it could possibly be the best in the league.

And Eli is the better Quarterback... In the post season. Peyton has gone 1 and out in the postseason 8 times. Eli has twice. Peyton has one win in three Super Bowl appearances, all three games of which he had no business losing, let alone getting his shit rocked this year. Eli has two, both against Patriots teams that they had no business beating and were absolute juggernauts. Peyton puts up godlike numbers in the regular season but can never quite do it in the playoffs. Eli, on the other hand, will make it to the playoffs with a 9-7 team and suddenly everybody's going "Fuck, we have to play the Giants?".

Call Peyton better all you want, and you may not be wrong, but my team's Manning has two rings.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by taco man » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:56 am

megamoose wrote:Eagles are f*cking screwed. Oh joy to another bad year

lol dont worry your probs gonna sign sanchez looool
taco man
Donator

by megamoose » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:32 am

taco man wrote:
megamoose wrote:Eagles are f*cking screwed. Oh joy to another bad year

lol dont worry your probs gonna sign sanchez looool

What good is a rusty quarterback who can't get anything done. Goodbye my Sundays (Oh wait, I work every Sunday, so that didn't do much)
megamoose
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

Rologton wrote:Fire Coughlin? Are you out of your mind? The guy that brought us two of the most miraculous all time Super Bowl wins, one of which came with the 31st ranked O-Line in the NFL? The guy who kept the team together to win 7 of 3 after an 0 and 6 start? Coach is the guy who, no matter how bad things look, still brings the team together and still makes them competitive. No way, no how. As far as I'm concerned, Coughlin can coach this team on his death bed. Anyway, they're going to groom McAdoo under him for the next few years and he'll take over.

As for the secondary, some analysts are saying that after the moves they made, it could possibly be the best in the league.

And Eli is the better Quarterback... In the post season. Peyton has gone 1 and out in the postseason 8 times. Eli has twice. Peyton has one win in three Super Bowl appearances, all three games of which he had no business losing, let alone getting his shit rocked this year. Eli has two, both against Patriots teams that they had no business beating and were absolute juggernauts. Peyton puts up godlike numbers in the regular season but can never quite do it in the playoffs. Eli, on the other hand, will make it to the playoffs with a 9-7 team and suddenly everybody's going "Fuck, we have to play the Giants?".

Call Peyton better all you want, and you may not be wrong, but my team's Manning has two rings.

I wouldn't say the Giants have the best in the league, especially with a safety position with a ton of questions but on paper, as the article says, they are certainly a top tier secondary now.

To say Eli is the better quarterback is just silly and biased though. Even if you want to just specifically look at playoff stats (which is kind of unfair, because Peyton has played in so many more games because he has had the talent to get bad teams to the playoffs) they are about on par. In fact, it's insanely close in terms of QB Rating: Eli's QB rating is 89.3 and Peyton's is 89.2. Peyton has a higher completion percentage by a much higher mark, 3%, and a significantly higher YPA (meaning he is attempting more difficult passes). So even if you call it a wash in terms of postseason play, Peyton is miles away better than Eli in the regular season, even though Eli is actually a very good QB.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Maringue » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:37 pm

The Giants beat the Pats solely because of their defensive line's ability to sack Brady. And then they got lucky.

Here's how you can tell Coughlin is a terrible coach: look at the Giants record against sub .500 teams. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I know I've seen the Giants take a LOT of bad beats from bad teams. That is all about coaching.

And as far as Eli and Payton, I would through out the last Super Bowl. The Seahawks defense was basically taking advantage of a loophole in the NFL. They either held, made illegal contact, or pass interference on EVER. SINGLE. PASS. They even admitted that was their strategy since they knew for a fact that NFL refs won't call the same penalty over and over. Which I don't get, because they have no problem calling offensive holding over and over. It's something that the NFL needs to fix. Rugby has a great fix in that the ref has the authority to sin bin a guy (like a 10 min long hockey penalty) for repeatedly committing the same foul. But the NFL will never do that.

If you break down their career stats into per year numbers, here's how they come out:
Payton throws for 550 more yards per year
Payton throws for 6 more TDs per year
And the kicker
Payton has 2 more wins per year.

I would still take Eli over Fetus Face Cutler any day of the week. Cutler has about as much poise under pressure as a crack head who hasn't had a hit in 4 days.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by taco man » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Maringue wrote:The Giants beat the Pats solely because of their defensive line's ability to sack Brady. And then they got lucky.

Here's how you can tell Coughlin is a terrible coach: look at the Giants record against sub .500 teams. I don't know it off the top of my head, but I know I've seen the Giants take a LOT of bad beats from bad teams. That is all about coaching.

And as far as Eli and Payton, I would through out the last Super Bowl. The Seahawks defense was basically taking advantage of a loophole in the NFL. They either held, made illegal contact, or pass interference on EVER. SINGLE. PASS. They even admitted that was their strategy since they knew for a fact that NFL refs won't call the same penalty over and over. Which I don't get, because they have no problem calling offensive holding over and over. It's something that the NFL needs to fix. Rugby has a great fix in that the ref has the authority to sin bin a guy (like a 10 min long hockey penalty) for repeatedly committing the same foul. But the NFL will never do that.

If you break down their career stats into per year numbers, here's how they come out:
Payton throws for 550 more yards per year
Payton throws for 6 more TDs per year
And the kicker
Payton has 2 more wins per year.

I would still take Eli over Fetus Face Cutler any day of the week. Cutler has about as much poise under pressure as a crack head who hasn't had a hit in 4 days.

*peyton
taco man
Donator

by Rologton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 am

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:I wouldn't say the Giants have the best in the league, especially with a safety position with a ton of questions but on paper, as the article says, they are certainly a top tier secondary now.

What questions at safety? You mean two starters who were top 10 safeties in the league last year, with proven veteran depth and a solid young rookie picked last year? My only question is where you see an issue there.

Maringue wrote:The Giants beat the Pats solely because of their defensive line's ability to sack Brady. And then they got lucky.

The Giants beat the Pats because Strahan, JPP and Tuck rocked Brady's shit and he lost his ability to throw after. After Tuck sacked Brady in the third round of XLVI his completion percentage went from 70% to 30%. Then Eli led a 4th Quarter game winning drive. That's not luck, that's just how the Giants play.

You know how I know Coughlin is a great coach? We went from an 0-6 start to winning 7 of our last 10 last year. Our defense went from the 28th ranked to the 8th, with one of the best run defenses in the league. They held Adrian Peterson to negative yardage in the first half of that Vikings game, and LeSean McCoy and Eddie Lacy to under 50 yards. Coughlin always manages to keep this team together even when it has no business being on the field. That's not luck, that's leadership.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Ron Swansons Stache » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Rologton wrote:
Ron Swansons Stache wrote:I wouldn't say the Giants have the best in the league, especially with a safety position with a ton of questions but on paper, as the article says, they are certainly a top tier secondary now.

What questions at safety? You mean two starters who were top 10 safeties in the league last year, with proven veteran depth and a solid young rookie picked last year? My only question is where you see an issue there.

Well, for starters Antrel Rolle was certainly not a top 10 safety in the league last year. I can name more than 10 off the top of my head that were better than Rolle last year: Earl Thomas, Jairus Byrd, Kam Chancellor, TJ Ward, Eric Berry, Donte Whitner, Laron Landry, Eric Weddle, Louis Delmas, Devin McCourty, Kenny Vaccaro, Jonathan Cyprien, Eric Reid and probably a few more. Furthermore, he's 31 which is getting up there for a safety, so it's reasonable to expect a decline if not this season then relatively soon.

As for the other safety position who are you even referring to? Will Hill? Or Stevie Brown? Because Brown tore his ACL which is a HUGE question mark of coming back, and while Hill played very well last year (Heck, I'd say he was better than Rolle at times..) he has a lot of off the field issues that are a gigantic question mark. Did you forget he was suspended last year for drug possession? That's his second suspension in his career already.

Also, I would easily put Seattle's combo well over the Giants safety combo, and the new Saints safety combo is absolutely terrifying with Voccaro and Byrd who are both young and supremely talented. The Giants can't hold a candle to those two.

Rologton wrote: You know how I know Coughlin is a great coach? We went from an 0-6 start to winning 7 of our last 10 last year.

Err, you know how I know Coughlin isn't a great coach? You started 0-6. And ended 7-9. That's not very good for a team as talented as the Giants were.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Rologton » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Will Hill was the #8 ranked Safety at the end of last year and Rolle was the #10. Brown is coming back from an ACL, yes, but he's on the depth chart, not a starter. Not to mention all the other depth we just added.

Any other team would have checked out after the start the Giants had. Coughlin kept them together. Only one other active coach has more rings than he does right now, and both of his rings came against that coach. Every team has rough years, that's what the salary cap is meant for, so that there are no Yankees (and this is coming from a Yankees fan) who can just outspend everybody when their teams have a rough year. Anyway, I have actual vindication. Guess what? Three of the coaches on that list ended up having terrible seasons after it was released. With the exception of Shanahan, I doubt that list will change all that much.

Bill Parcells had 5 losing seasons and he's possibly the greatest of all time. You're going to tell me Coughlin is bad after his second losing season?

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Rologton wrote:Will Hill was the #8 ranked Safety at the end of last year and Rolle was the #10. Brown is coming back from an ACL, yes, but he's on the depth chart, not a starter. Not to mention all the other depth we just added.

Any other team would have checked out after the start the Giants had. Coughlin kept them together. Only one other active coach has more rings than he does right now, and both of his rings came against that coach. Every team has rough years, that's what the salary cap is meant for, so that there are no Yankees (and this is coming from a Yankees fan) who can just outspend everybody when their teams have a rough year. Anyway, I have actual vindication. Guess what? Three of the coaches on that list ended up having terrible seasons after it was released. With the exception of Shanahan, I doubt that list will change all that much.

What rankings are these? Some arbitrary article written by a football pundit? Like the one you linked me to for coaches that is a year old which doesn't take into consideration the horrid season the Giants had last year? And yes I whole heartedly believe that list has changed. I don't even think it was right to begin with, compare Coughlin's career record vs the other coaches at the top of your silly list and you can conclude he's nowhere near top 2.

Either way, why is some random opinion based article the saving grace for this argument?

Rologton wrote: Bill Parcells had 5 losing seasons and he's possibly the greatest of all time. You're going to tell me Coughlin is bad after his second losing season?

So because Bill Parcel had losing seasons, it doesn't mean you're a bad coach if you have losing seasons? That's quite a slippery slope you have there.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm

As for the other safety position who are you even referring to? Will Hill? Or Stevie Brown? Because Brown tore his ACL which is a HUGE question mark of coming back, and while Hill played very well last year (Heck, I'd say he was better than Rolle at times..) he has a lot of off the field issues that are a gigantic question mark. Did you forget he was suspended last year for drug possession? That's his second suspension in his career already.

Welp, Will Hill reportedly just failed another drug test and will likely be suspended for the year. As I said, huge question marks.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

Return to Spam Fest