What are you reading?

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

What are you reading?

by Harri » Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Books, journals, reviews, magazines- What are you reading?

I adore reading. It's actually the only talent I can confidently boast about. I can read a novel length text a day. I can consume written information quickly and comprehensively. It's not a fantastic talent to have for the job market, but it is fun.

Why should we read what you're reading? Why should we not read what you're reading.

(I feel like a long time ago I made a thread like this. Let's pretend like this is new).
Harri
Blue Admin

Re: What are you reading?

by Fencerboy » Mon May 13, 2013 4:24 pm

game of thrones (Song of fire and ice)
One if best series I've ever read.
So unbelievably detailed and well thought out.

Highly recommend them.
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Rosey » Mon May 13, 2013 4:26 pm

just finished

i can read pretty fast, i just dont want to
now on

Rosey
Blue Admin

by MournfulOdin » Mon May 13, 2013 4:49 pm

I've been working on W.A.R.P., Russia: a History, and Tracking the Dragon.
MournfulOdin
Donator

by Cash » Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Fencerboy wrote:game of thrones (Song of fire and ice)
One if best series I've ever read.
So unbelievably detailed and well thought out.

Highly recommend them.

I second this. I finished the third book recently (A storm of swords) and loved it. They are definitely incredibly detailed. If you don't mind a lengthy read (which Harri obviously doesn't), then it's absolutely worth checking out the series.

It also makes watching the show more enjoyable I think (I also HIGHLY recommend the show for those who don't watch). I love to see what the producers decide to change or keep and try to figure out their reasoning.
This is a signature. Thank you for your time.
Cash

by Fencerboy » Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 pm

the show is absolutely fabulous too
It has the same level of detail
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by cloud » Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Night, by Elie Wielsel (Chronincle of the holocaust)
The catcher in the rye.
The Eragon Series. (rather the first two books, as the last two weren't very good.)
The Great Gatsby.
Lord of the Flies.
Halo : the Flood.

All of these.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Harri » Tue May 14, 2013 4:54 pm

cloud wrote:The Eragon Series. (rather the first two books, as the last two weren't very good.)
The Great Gatsby.

I loved the Eragon series until the last few books. I dropped it. Terrible.

I just finished my semester. I turned in a 60 page Deconstruction essay on Great Gatsby for my theory seminar. I'm not sure I could ever read that novel again without cringing. Have you seen the movie yet? Is it good?
Harri
Blue Admin

by HausOfJoel » Tue May 14, 2013 5:01 pm

I plan on reading the rest of the Wicked Years series this summer. I've only read Wicked so far. It's basically just a prequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, but a different author, and much more dark.

Harri wrote:I just finished my semester. I turned in a 60 page Deconstruction essay on Great Gatsby for my theory seminar. I'm not sure I could ever read that novel again without cringing. Have you seen the movie yet? Is it good?

Yes! I just saw the movie the other night and it was great! The soundtrack is also amazing if you are into music :D
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Harri » Tue May 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Harri wrote:I just finished my semester. I turned in a 60 page Deconstruction essay on Great Gatsby for my theory seminar. I'm not sure I could ever read that novel again without cringing. Have you seen the movie yet? Is it good?

Yes! I just saw the movie the other night and it was great! The soundtrack is also amazing if you are into music :D[/quote]

I think I might see it in the next day or two. I was worried. The critical score for the movie is subpar.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Harri » Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm

HausOfJoel wrote:Yes! I just saw the movie the other night and it was great! The soundtrack is also amazing if you are into music :D

I think I might see it in the next day or two. I was worried. The critical score for the movie is subpar.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Thu May 16, 2013 3:05 pm

Just finished The Sun Also Rises. I feel I could've liked it more with some research of the period and an understanding of Hemingway's life at the time. I don't think I had the right context for it.

In the middle of Learning SQL by Alan Beaulieu, if that counts. It's an introductory book to the database language SQL. I feel it's really well written and paced, but I do not enjoy using the MySQL command-line tool they're going with in the book. I plan to seek out something more user-friendly soon.

Up next I have a bunch of autiobiographies from hockey players and I'm not sure which to start with. I may begin with Playing with Fire by Theo Fleury. I heard it's a real heartwrenching read; in it he reveals that he was sexually abused by one of his junior hockey coaches for years and talks about how it made his life off the ice a mess despite being one of the best players in the NHL during his career.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

Return to Spam Fest