Computer building!

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Computer building!

by gewf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Hey guise!
here's my build, feel free to interject with your opinions on any parts that I chose, the rest of my parts should be here sometime this week! as of right now, I'm using my parent's POS desktop (has like half a gig of ram, lol)
anywho, here goes
case: NZXT gamma classic series
memory: Corsair vengeance 8gb (4x2) RAM
GPU: EVGA GTX 560 (fermi) 1gb
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Quad-Core
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 970 (AM3+, fuck intel :twisted: )
Aftermarket heatsink/fan: Coolermaster hyper 212 evo 120mm
HDD: 500gb caviar blue western digital hard drive
power supply: 500w corsair builder series

THOUGHTS?! :D
gewf
Donator

Re: Computer building!

by Failhorse » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:46 pm

get a better power supply. actually just ask fingerman. overall he'll know the best for price currently.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by gewf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm

that's the one thing I regretted ordering. I already have it though, and I think it will do me okay for my purposes for the time being. will probably upgrade to a 650 or 750w before too long- school's in though, and most of my money is spoken for.
gewf
Donator

by Echoplex » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Looks good, just make sure you get a monitor that supports 1080p resolution (aka don't buy 1600x900). And yeah, you might want a 650 watt PSU if you're running a zambezi + discrete gfx. Great call on EVGA for the gpu too they rock. When you're building it, mount your CPU cooler bracket first. The 212 is fucking enormous (works great though!) and you have to put custom mount screws on the back of your mobo

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Shotgunbob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Failhorse wrote:get a better power supply. actually just ask fingerman. overall he'll know the best for price currently.

I have a 600W Corsair in my system and it has lesser specs than this build. I would upgrade to the CX600/GS600 Corsair to be honest.
Shotgunbob

by gewf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Hmm. how urgent would you say replacing that power supply is? It's not built at the moment, and I don't mind taking the wires down to install a new one too terribly in the future.
is this something that's going to give me serious issues or just bottleneck?
gewf
Donator

by Echoplex » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Worst case scenario, you can fry your system. Computer components operate in tiny windows of 0-2volts so an overloaded PSU can be really bad. When I was a kid we used to unplug our computer during thunderstorms...It's almost never a bad idea to splurge on a power supply :P

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Hatred » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Echoplex wrote:Worst case scenario, you can fry your system. Computer components operate in tiny windows of 0-2volts so an overloaded PSU can be really bad. When I was a kid we used to unplug our computer during thunderstorms...It's almost never a bad idea to splurge on a power supply :P

BUMP !!! listen to this man .... do they still make BFG PSU's ? cause those were always my fav
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by gewf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:55 pm

I don't get thunderstorms where I live and is 100w extra really going to make that big of a difference?
gewf
Donator

by GoDM1N » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Echoplex wrote:Worst case scenario, you can fry your system. Computer components operate in tiny windows of 0-2volts so an overloaded PSU can be really bad. When I was a kid we used to unplug our computer during thunderstorms...It's almost never a bad idea to splurge on a power supply :P

Agreed, plus the difference between a 500w PSU and a 750w PSU is generally only $30.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Echoplex » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 pm

gewf wrote:I don't get thunderstorms where I live and is 100w extra really going to make that big of a difference?

The thunderstorm point was just to emphasize how fragile computer gates can be, modern power supplies probably all have built in surge protectors so it's not a factor.

You can find calculators online to see how much power your computer will probably load, if that number is even close to 500W then you need to upgrade for sure. Discrete graphics cards draw tons of power and AMD isn't really known for energy efficiency on their desktop lines. Every card you add or usb device you plug in draws power from the PSU...Just go with 650W if only to allow for potential upgrades in the future

Edit: I ran one for just the just things you included (assumed 4 fans and a dvd drive) and got minimum power 499W, recommended 550W at peak load. You definitely need to upgrade

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Failhorse » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

i closed my original by accident.
Mobo and CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal ... bo.1026446
pwr supply and case code EMCNBHB23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal ... bo.1046087
GPU (on sale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 130664#top
Cheap OK DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827151255
RAM better ram 44.99 with code EMCNBHB37
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 31468-L04B
HD
no SSD? find something cheap. you cheap person you.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by gewf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:47 pm

well fuck me sideways.
gewf
Donator

by Failhorse » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm

What is your budget anyway?
Failhorse
Red Admin

by gewf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:51 pm

I've already spent the money, the parts you see on that list have already been ordered, and all but the case is here
(case will be here later today)
I found a 600w at a store so I'm gonna go drive out buy that so as to not delay my building process.
also, they have a hardware trade in so I'll be able to get rid of my old 500w at the same time.

edit: fuck a solid state drive

second edit: thanks so much for the help guys! I really do appreciate the input.
gewf
Donator

by LegendarySurgeon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:14 pm

I like this whole, "building a computer" thread idea, where instead of asking for advice and then buying parts you buy parts and then regret not having asked for advice earlier.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by gewf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:07 pm

LegendarySurgeon wrote:I like this whole, "building a computer" thread idea, where instead of asking for advice and then buying parts you buy parts and then regret not having asked for advice earlier.

You think I did this all without advice? :roll:
My friend recommended a 500w which I was skeptical about but he assured me it would be fine.
this is more of a "future upgrades" thread for me. this shit's going in my computer, save for the power supply, which is being replaced. No sweat off my balls I assure you.

The other parts are fine, and I did plenty of research when getting those. I admit I was a bit of an idiot when buying the power supply, but I think I'll survive.
gewf
Donator

by Shotgunbob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

gewf wrote:
LegendarySurgeon wrote:I like this whole, "building a computer" thread idea, where instead of asking for advice and then buying parts you buy parts and then regret not having asked for advice earlier.

You think I did this all without advice? :roll:
My friend recommended a 500w which I was skeptical about but he assured me it would be fine.
this is more of a "future upgrades" thread for me. this shit's going in my computer, save for the power supply, which is being replaced. No sweat off my balls I assure you.

The other parts are fine, and I did plenty of research when getting those. I admit I was a bit of an idiot when buying the power supply, but I think I'll survive.

The only issue I had with mine when I built it was the PSU. I bought a Piece of shit Diablotek 500W that was more realistically a 300W PSU that maxed out at around 500W in testing, it kept faulting when I played games and crashed the entire system, so I went out and bought a Corsair GS600 PSU and its running fine as we speak.
Shotgunbob

by gewf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 am

It wont turn on :? I'm hoping it has something to do with the majority of the cables from the power supply being unconnected, but i couldnt figure out where the hell they went!
Super stressed.
Idk how I'll sleep tonight, much less go to class for seven hours.
gewf
Donator

by gewf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am

It works. I'm installing windows 7 64bit
RIGHT FUCKING NOW.
the sound of the fans turning on, the blue led flicking into gear...
beautiful. absolutely beautiful.
you go desktop. you expand those windows files.
gewf
Donator

Return to Spam Fest