Music Discussion and Stuff.

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

Music Discussion and Stuff.

by BigShovel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:57 am

Hello. I am wondering if anyone listens to a lot of music and enjoys discussing it. I am also wondering why you like certain artists, or albums. Another thing this thread can be for is to recommend an artist, then an album by them and tell people why they should get it. Once this thread gets going I will be discussing a lot, but for now I am just wondering if anyone listens to the following artists;

-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Beck
-The Olivia Tremor Control
-Radiohead
-Dr Dog
-Sam Roberts

Anyways, this should not be a place for simply bashing other types of music, but you can still say why, in a polite manner, why you do not like a certain artist, album, or genre.

Also, If you have last.fm and use it to track what you listen to and stuff, feel free to add me.
http://www.last.fm/user/TheBigShovel

I am aware of the "What are you listening to" thread, and there really is no discussion, so that's the reason for this thread. I don't want to have a thread that's just people spamming songs they like, but rather text.

I am sorry if my writing/grammar is bad, and I hope this thread gets active.

Edit 1:Hey folks, I'm jazzed that this thread is active and I look forward to see more users post. Also, to the people who already posted, feel free to post again with a recommendation of another album.
Last edited by BigShovel on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigShovel

Re: Music Discussion and Stuff.

by Phantom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 am

Well I started playing guitar in 7th grade I believe and I started out playing 90's
Soundgarden, Nirvana, pearl jam, I then moved on to Audioslave, and various soungs that I found I liked then it happend.

Dave Matthews, and I think we all know where im at now.
Westbox is still Bestbox
Phantom
Blue Admin
Resident Ballonicorn Expert

by Saber » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 pm

I LOVE YOU JESUUUUUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST
JEEEEEEEESUS CHRIST EYEEEEEEEEEE LOVE YOU YES I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Uh, I listen to a lot of Touhou rearranges. I'll add you, I'm antiphobia, but I don't use it too much. I only just realized that my last.fm plugin for foobar2000 is out of date.
Oh, got it working. nvm
Saber

by Rologton » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I've been playing guitar since I was 6 and have developed quite a large range of musical interests. There are a metric shitton of bands I listen to. It would take me forever to type them all out, in all honesty.

I'm really into the Blues, both electrics and classic delta, Classic Rock, different forms of metal, a lot of electronic stuff, reggae, indie... There's quite a bit.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Thret » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:14 pm

I've been teaching myself bass for about a year. I'm not very good since life seems to keep taking away all of my time and I haven't had a chance to practice in months. I play blues, rock, and some modern upbeat stuff like Maroon 5.
Thret

by Prof_Schwartz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Guitar for about 8 years now, a little bit of bass, some mandolin, can't read music, pretty much self taught (can kind of play by ear, I use tablature as well)

I listen to classic/hard rock, blues, some metal, I've also opened my ears to rap/hip-hop (past couple years) and of course, dubstep. Also reggae, some jazz, blues-rock.... I love it all. My iPod has so many genres one song will be Hendrix, the next Lil Wayne, after that Slash, Led Zep, then Skrillex... Yea, it's a crazy/weird mix, but it's what I love to listen to. Rock on man lol

Edit

Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule, Guns n Roses, Sublime, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, Aerosmith, some Nirvana (not the biggest grunge fan out there) Metallica, Van Halen, Dave Matthews, White Stripes the list goes on and on....
Prof_Schwartz

by BigShovel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 pm

I see all of you have been talking about your music experience and genres and stuff, but it would be swell that you could give album recommendations by describing the genre and overall sound of the album.

For mine I'll do "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea", by Neutral Milk Hotel.
This is a classic folk album. It tells a great story of a Jewish family (Anne Frank in particular), and has a very passionate voice singing it. It's almost a love/hate album.
BigShovel

by Bagger Vance » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Spiderland by Slint, one of my favorite albums ever. It's pretty chaotic sounding at times but it really retains a sense of unity the whole album, the guitar on it is amazing, and the singer's voice is different, in a good way.

Bagger Vance
Donator
Photographer at Daily Bugle

by Beartato » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:56 pm

@Vance: That's an amazing album. Good Morning, Captain is one of my favorite tracks ever. I was really lucky and picked the album up on vinyl a few years ago for only $7. That was a great night.

@Shovel: Since you like "Aeroplane Over the Sea", I would suggest you check out Arcade Fire's "Funeral". They both have very similar sound and feel, with AF having a splash of a baroque pop. Here's my favorite song fromt hat album:

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

This is my last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Chris__B

Most of what I listen to could be classified as either rock, indie, or electronic. I've been really into shoegaze/nu-gaze, dream pop, and alternative rock for the last year or two. Some bands worth checking out from those genres are:

M83 - Midnight City (2011)

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow (1991)

Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey (1985)

Shoe gaze is usually pretty noisy and gets its name from the fact that the performers typically just look at their feet while performing. I've always really enjoyed noisier stuff with rich timbre and textures. That said, I'm a huge fan of post-rock.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Bagger Vance » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm

I was really lucky and picked the album up on vinyl a few years ago for only $7. That was a great night.

Lucky, the place I go to has never carries Slint vinyl, it's a shame.

My Bloody Valentine

Great stuff, Loveless is one of the greatest albums ever in my opinion, really noisy but still oddly symphonic.
Bagger Vance
Donator

by stanley » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

"el camino" by the black keys is a great album, and i recommend a listen regardless of your musical preference

Also, "the final cut" by pink floyd, even if it is an incredibly depressing album.

i love how in the gunners dream waters voice and the sax are hitting the same note at 2:00, and the two are indistinguishable.

lastly, "who's next" by the who, which is the greatest album of all time in my opinion

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Beartato » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Bagger Vance wrote:
I was really lucky and picked the album up on vinyl a few years ago for only $7. That was a great night.

Lucky, the place I go to has never carries Slint vinyl, it's a shame.

My Bloody Valentine

Great stuff, Loveless is one of the greatest albums ever in my opinion, really noisy but still oddly symphonic.

The reason it was such a lucky pick was that I got it from a vendor at a show. He probably had the best selection I've seen. And I'm with you on Loveless. It's soothing yet haunting, and just absolutely beautiful. It's like pure emotion.

So is it safe to say you're into post-rock?

stanley wrote:"el camino" by the black keys is a great album, and i recommend a listen regardless of your musical preference

Also, "the final cut" by pink floyd, even if it is an incredibly depressing album.

i love how in the gunners dream waters voice and the sax are hitting the same note at 2:00, and the two are indistinguishable.

lastly, "who's next" by the who, which is the greatest album of all time in my opinion

Nice stuff, Stanley! "Who's Next" is absolutely amazing and it's hard to go wrong with Floyd. And I feel like I preferred Brothers over El Camino (gotta love "Tighten Up"), but it's still good stuff.

Also, this seems like a great time to show off this great "Baba O'Riley" cover by the Blue Man Group:

I definitely need to make it out to one of their shows.
Beartato

by BigShovel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:34 pm

When i went on vacation I listen to that Slint album, which I find pretty decent, but I don't find myself listening to it in the future.
BigShovel

by Bagger Vance » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 pm

So is it safe to say you're into post-rock?

Yessir.

When i went on vacation I listen to that Slint album, which I find pretty decent, but I don't find myself listening to it in the future.

You might need to listen to it a couple more times. I enjoyed it on my first listen but it didn't really click until the third time.

Bagger Vance
Donator

by Beartato » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Know of any good stuff recently? I just know about Mogwai's album from last year.

And just something I've had stuck in my head for a few days:

Yuck - Get Away (2011)

Beartato

by Bagger Vance » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Really enjoying this album a lot.
Bagger Vance
Donator

Return to Spam Fest