building a computer

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

building a computer

by nicewithit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 am

1500 budget

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ddoc
what i'm looking at right now

any input?
nicewithit
Blue Admin

Re: building a computer

by fingerman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:32 am

If your using that ssd as your boot, I would at least get 128 gig or 240 gig. I used a 64 gig when they first started coming out about 2-3 years ago. There is not much room and if it gets full the speed suffers greatly.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by GoDM1N » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 am

Assuming you're mainly using this for gaming I'd go with the i5-3570K instead. Even the older i5-2500k beats the i72600k in some games, and where it doesn't its only a few fps behind. I'd use the money you save to up the GPU to a 7950 or a 7870 as well or larger SSDs as finger said. My uncle just got a 128gb for $104 shipped actually, so it wouldn't cost that much more.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Stolloss » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 pm

1) Do some measurements for your cooler. I have the one you're getting, and it is even larger than expected. An ATX mid tower should have just enough space, but it's close.

2) I'd like to repeat Godmin on the CPU and SSD. Assuming you are installing Windows, the base OS alone will take around 30 GB after the page file and hiber file kick in, which is half of your SSD. If you have the money, 128 is optimal for OS+Program Files.
Stolloss
Donator

by Maringue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:10 am

Yeah, I'd dial back on the CPU as well. I got one of the earlier quad cores and while it's awesome for me who needs to run a bunch of programs at the same time while they work, games don't generally get that much of a boost from them. The bottle neck is still usually the GPU, so I'd shift more cash towards that component.

And on GPUs, I forget who told me this, but most games are written for a GeForce GPU as opposed to a Radeon GPU, so there's some potential advantage in going with a GeForce chip. I could also be totally fucking wrong.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by GoDM1N » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:02 am

Maringue wrote:Yeah, I'd dial back on the CPU as well. I got one of the earlier quad cores and while it's awesome for me who needs to run a bunch of programs at the same time while they work, games don't generally get that much of a boost from them. The bottle neck is still usually the GPU, so I'd shift more cash towards that component.

And on GPUs, I forget who told me this, but most games are written for a GeForce GPU as opposed to a Radeon GPU, so there's some potential advantage in going with a GeForce chip. I could also be totally fucking wrong.

This could be true, however the AMD cards are still faster generally

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=550

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=548
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Return to Spam Fest