The Fall. A short story

Talk about random stuff that has nothing to do with TF2 or other games.

The Fall. A short story

by cloud » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm

well, with my internet moving at the speed of a turtle and myself being bored out of my mind, I decided to write a short story. Godm1n is really the one who inspired me to write this, and i just kinda wanted to know what you all though. I might continue on with the plot later on, but I'm not entirely sure. Hope you all like it

I was running. Running from the terrors. Running from the fighting. Running from the demons. I was dimly aware that a fellow soldier was next to me. I looked over and noticed his frightened face, cut deeply by the tearing branches as we ran through the woods. He looked at me and I could see the plea in his eyes, the sheer terror of knowing what would happen to us if we stopped. I took a quick look behind me, and I noticed that the giant black shapes were still chasing us down, their red eyes glowing hungrily in the dark.
The largest of them was gaining on us, but wasn’t able to catch us while we were fueled by the adrenaline coursing through our veins. It seemed to take note of this, and made a sudden stop. It crouched low and grabbed large boulder from the ground. It let out an ear splitting roar and threw the rock straight at us. I turned and tried to move out of the way, but I was too late.
I felt an immense pressure on the back of my body, and everything went black.

As I came to my senses, I saw that I was sitting in a cave. There was a small fire glowing in the center, and a box of military rations sitting next to it. I attempted to climb to my feet, but it was no use. Every movement caused my back to explode with pain.
“Ah, I see you’ve awoken. Very good. I was afraid I was going to have to leave you.”
I froze. The voice seemed to come out of nowhere. I searched for the source but was unable to locate it. Finally I could make out the shape of a large human being. He stepped forward and in a booming voice said, “The name is Jameson. I was sergeant of my own platoon at one point, but they were wiped out by the stalkers. One of ‘em would have done you in too, if I hadn’t been there to stop it.
Slowly the fog started to clear, and I remembered the other marine that was running alongside of me. “What of the other soldier, the one that was with me?” I said weakly.
Jameson shook his head. “He was already gone by the time I got to you boys. I had to leave the body though. The stalkers were closin’ in pretty quickly.”
“Stalkers? What’s a stalker?”
“They’re a result of those nukes that went off on the west coast. Multiply like wildfire, some sort of lizard beast. ‘Swhy they can see so well in the dark.”
Jameson helped me to my feet and led me over to the fire, and handed me the box of rations. I sat down, enjoying the heat of the flames, and busted open the box.
“Yeah, I wouldn’t scarf those down too fast there boy,” said Jameson. “Tastes like someone left some skunk meat out in the sun for too long. By the way, I never caught your name.”
“It’s Durrant,” I said as I took a small bite of the rations. He was right about the taste. I set the box down with no intention of picking it back up, and asked, “How did you find me?”
“Well, me and what was left of my platoon were heading through the woods, when we heard a fairly loud shout. Turns out it was you and that friend of yours. The rest of my boys got wiped out when we were trying to get you two out of there.”
“Sorry about your men, and thank you for rescuing me. What happened to those stalker anyw-“
I never got to finish. A hulking monstrosity that looked more like it belonged in the pits of hell than on this earth lunged from the dark and pinned Jameson to the ground. He yanked his pistol out of its holster and opened fire, but it was too late. The stalker bit down on his throat, just as he threw me the gun and yelled, “GET OUT OF HERE, NOW! THAT’S AN ORDER!”
I turned to the opening of the cave and sprinted towards safety. I could hear the stalker close behind me, so close that I could feel its burning breath on the back of my neck. I turned and fired a shot. It took the beast in the eye. It let out a high pitched yell as it skidded to a stop in front of me, dead.
I went back to Jameson’s body to retrieve his supplies, other weapons, and his dog tags. They read “Sergeant Leonard “Tex” Jameson”. I holster the pistol and grabbed his M16, which had fallen to the ground when he had been jumped. “Thank you sarge, for all your help. May you rest in peace.”
The exit of the cave seemed to be beckoning to me. I stepped outside into the night, and heard the distant howls of beasts and animals alike.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

Return to Spam Fest