_______
_______
_______
_______
_______
_______
_______
_______

$99 for an alpha! This is awesome. Welcome to Galactic Civilizations 3. If you are unfamiliar with Stardock or the previous entries. This franchise is awesome... For those who like this sort of game. Even with the previous entries to the game, the Dev's pretty much told old computer owners to piss off. They wanted to make a great game with reasonable (ly high) system requirements. I mean look at this:

Code: Select all
Minimum:
Processor: Dual-Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB DirectX 10.1 Video Card (AMD Radeon HD5x00 Series / Nvidia GeForce 500 Series / Intel HD 4000 or later)
DirectX: Version 10
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Additional Notes: A Stardock account is required to register and play this game. Minimum supported resolution is 1280x800.

This is not a review of the game.

This is a critique of a developer. Those min. system requirements aren't the highest I've seen. I mean Crysis 2 was pretty up there. But they are clearly making a game for the hardcore fan. More importantly the 'early access.' A $99 dollar Founder Alpha. That's pretty intense. After watching the failure that is DayZ. Hey. Spot on Stardock. The extra little perks aside. And knowing there will be at least 2 major ($29 at release) expansions that will be free. That's cool right? I mean, someone pays $30 bucks for DayZ and all they can do is pop on the forums shitting on the game because zombies walk through buildings. - Side note. I get that. And it should have been something they were prepared for and patched quickly. But, as it turns out DayZ was just a cash grab. Broken game + hype = early access + collect fanboys monies.

So what does a $99 alpha play like? Doesn't matter. Stardock cleared the herd of morons that would otherwise buy the game because their older brother played it in 2002.

And the thought of that is awesome. Look at the reviews. Both sides: wtf $99 for an alpha... Or, $99 thank god.

Cheers I'm out.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: A company finally takes 'early access' seriously. $$$

by Sanic-X » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:08 pm

It is worth noting that the $99 gets you some cool stuff-
Become an Elite Founder and get special perks!

A lifetime subscription to all GalCiv III DLC and expansion packs
Create your legacy* – Suggest a star name and get special thanks credit
Founders' Vault* – Access exclusive art, music and more from the development team
Forum badge* – Display with your account on the official Stardock forums

I think this is meant only for hardcore fans who want to help with testing and making the game better. An Alpha release at such a high price would only appeal to such people. I personally think the price is way too high. With that price, it will be harder to get testers to help make the game work.
..::..-context is important-..::..
gotta go fast
Sanic-X
Blue Admin

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 am

One other game I remember doing this during its alpha stage was Planetary Annihilation, which was also priced at $90. I didn't really pay much attention to the game during that time (and I still don't), but that is a pretty high price tag. I do see the reasoning for it, and I do agree that this stuff is really meant for the fans loyal enough to actively support a game during its development, so long as feedback is seriously taken and put into effect and the early players do get some sort of reward for actually helping the game grow.
Nikki Wolf

by Balubish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 am

I wouldnt play it if I got it for free. But for those who like games like that I guess you would pay for it.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Ron Swansons Stache » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:41 am

How is this any different than one of those collector packs that people apparently buy?

Like it was already said this is obviously for the hardcore lovers of the series, and no one's forcing you to buy it. It's also not awful value when you consider the price points they'll eventually release.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by NickTheCanadianCore » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 pm

seems like a rip of sid meiers civilization 5
Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Canada in a nutshell.
ImageImage
NickTheCanadianCore

by GoDM1N » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Currently have $254 into Star Citizen, and would probably do it again. Lately a lot of games have been doing this cash grab where they come out unfinished and are forgotten, so you got to be careful. That said, some do it and things work out, namely Minecraft. I also have hopes for Richard Garriott's new game "Shroud of the Avatar".
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary