Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan -Miopic discussion

You review games and life. We post it in the blog

Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan -Miopic discussion

by Repoman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Failhorse wrote:Everyone here is mature enough to know how to act in said server.

This is not true, on both sides of the current admins. The only issue I have with merging admins, is having a slaybox admin coming on the fun server and acting like douche. Thats the simplest way to state it, and I state it that way because yes I know the fun server has some nasty infamy, and its the butt of most jokes on the slayboxes. If the admin powers to certain servers remain separated, then its fine. Because also, all of sudden fun admins can admin on slayboxes...scary right?

I think regardless of how the slay box admins and pink admins view each other, this change where we admin all servers may not go over so well on both sides of admin.

Also, I could mod the minecraft server, or maintain bukkit on it. Ive done it before and Ive done it with friends on personal servers. Its not hard to do, just alot of trial and error. But I could get it running to where we have all the essential plugins to make it a decent server.
Repoman

Re: Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan (Maybe)

by GoDM1N » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Personally don't think combining Blue and Pink would work. For one they're two different communities and for the most part they don't get along, or at least they haven't in the past. Assuming we did combine them we'd have to make sure the blue admins understand the rules on the pink server, as they are very different. However in my opinion it's just easier to have pink and blue
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Re: Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan (Maybe)

by Failhorse » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks for being complete dicks and ignoring everything else i said.

cheers.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Future of CSN: A Grand Misguided Plan -Miopic discussion

by Nikki Wolf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:47 pm

To be honest, I'm fine with a merge. I know I'm not really so social outside of the servers, but I don't really see any sort of fuss about the fun servers or any of the pinkmins in the Slayboxes from any of the bluemins. *shrugs* I don't know, though.
Nikki Wolf

by Arty_pn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:39 pm

No admin will get fired unless they do something stupid.

^^
I'm fine with mixing.
Will current admins have reign over other servers? I have every game except NS2 and DayZ.
Arty_pn

by Failhorse » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:32 pm

arty post on the other tread if it's about the games or plan.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Repoman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:43 pm

I was going to say, Fail, that I liked everything else in your post...I just didnt criticize anything else because it was fine.

I dont think silence means we are ignoring what you said.
Repoman

by Rologton » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 am

I mean, I know for me and a lot of the other BLUmins, mixing adminship really wouldn't change anything. Nothing against the Funboxes, but I just have no interest in the games played on them, except for maybe Dodgeball on occasion. Even if I had Admin on them, I honestly wouldn't go on any more than I already do, which is to say, almost never.

At that, I do think we should all have Admin on the servers playing the Halloween maps. I remember half way through last year's maps Blumins lost Admin on the server playing them. It came down to an issue with all the Blumins not giving a shit if you kill people on the maps (being as there was no actual rule against it) and a bunch of the Pinkmins enforcing not killing. On that note, we should address that issue, because it got annoying last year.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Ninja » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

The main thing I have ever done is trying not to kill each other during a boss, as people do want their items, better than having the majority of people complaining cause no one can ever kill the boss. Leading to more people leaving and going somewhere else.

Other than that there is no rule against killing in the pink servers and no admins that we have currently will ever enforce not killing.
Either way it seems they want to make sb2 and snows box halloween maps (being snows box is mixed admins the former is not)
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by Balubish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Ninja wrote:The main thing I have ever done is trying not to kill each other during a boss, as people do want their items, better than having the majority of people complaining cause no one can ever kill the boss. Leading to more people leaving and going somewhere else.

Other than that there is no rule against killing in the pink servers and no admins that we have currently will ever enforce not killing.
Either way it seems they want to make sb2 and snows box halloween maps (being snows box is mixed admins the former is not)

Yeah I didn't get my item last year. But doesn't matter that much. Maybe more too others.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Rosey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Rologton wrote:I mean, I know for me and a lot of the other BLUmins, mixing adminship really wouldn't change anything.

True. I don't really have a big problem with any specific pinkmins myself, but there are general problems. A big annoyance for me is the constant talking and pointless conversation that seems to happen alot over the mics in the funboxes, and I'm all up for fun game modes, just not when everyone's talking your ear off. I haven't been in the funboxes for a while now, so this might not be the case anymore.

"hurr durr theres a mute button for a reason durr"

I'd rather not join then have to use the damn thing every time I do join

Rologton wrote:Nothing against the Funboxes, but I just have no interest in the games played on them, except for maybe Dodgeball on occasion. Even if I had Admin on them, I honestly wouldn't go on any more than I already do, which is to say, almost never.

I for one enjoy the different game modes that appear on the funboxes, it's the general audience it attracts that puts me off. (see above)
Rosey
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Not sure how this thread started off, but my two cents:

I could support merging the two, but I would want to see people go through a trial to be a dual-min just to make sure they're acquainted with the other server. In addition to there being different rules in the different servers, there's also different cultures, which are important to pick up on. Rosey mentioned an important one: chatter. Sometimes the chatter pink regulars carry out on the slayboxes becomes annoying for those of us interested in pubbing. Voice is an important communication tool and it isn't fair to take that away from those who want to play the game as a multiplayer FPS. Pinkmin also seem to be less tolerant of binds, which is an issue with the SBs. Bind spam is part of the culture and should be dealt with by asking users to dial it back rather than with gags. I don't mean to rag on the pinkmin, it's just that I only know things from this side; I'm sure someone else can point out mistakes a bluemin would make on the fun servers.

My last concern is popping. When the fun server regulars come to help pop the SBs, they come as a big army and usually get it up to 24 people pretty quickly. But then the 10-12 leave at the end of the popping map, and all of a sudden you have 12-14 players on cp_coldfront or some other less popular map, which is a great way to lose a freshly popped server. It's important that they would take care to avoid that problem if the pinkmin gained power on the SBs and partook in popping duties.

But overall I could support a merge with enough discussion and some experience for those seeking duelmin status. After all, the requirements for adminning the two servers are exactly the same (to my knowledge) so no one is unqualified to help out on the other side of CSn.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by GoDM1N » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:43 am

Beartato wrote:Not sure how this thread started off, but my two cents:

I could support merging the two, but I would want to see people go through a trial to be a dual-min just to make sure they're acquainted with the other server. In addition to there being different rules in the different servers, there's also different cultures, which are important to pick up on. Rosey mentioned an important one: chatter. Sometimes the chatter pink regulars carry out on the slayboxes becomes annoying for those of us interested in pubbing. Voice is an important communication tool and it isn't fair to take that away from those who want to play the game as a multiplayer FPS. Pinkmin also seem to be less tolerant of binds, which is an issue with the SBs. Bind spam is part of the culture and should be dealt with by asking users to dial it back rather than with gags. I don't mean to rag on the pinkmin, it's just that I only know things from this side; I'm sure someone else can point out mistakes a bluemin would make on the fun servers.

My last concern is popping. When the fun server regulars come to help pop the SBs, they come as a big army and usually get it up to 24 people pretty quickly. But then the 10-12 leave at the end of the popping map, and all of a sudden you have 12-14 players on cp_coldfront or some other less popular map, which is a great way to lose a freshly popped server. It's important that they would take care to avoid that problem if the pinkmin gained power on the SBs and partook in popping duties.

But overall I could support a merge with enough discussion and some experience for those seeking duelmin status. After all, the requirements for adminning the two servers are exactly the same (to my knowledge) so no one is unqualified to help out on the other side of CSn.

The pink admin rules are here, and as new mods are added they'll change. Also, unless something has changed spamming chat in general isn't allowed, It's not necessarily the binds, it's when the binds take up the whole chat window. Some members, admins as well, rely on that because they don't have a mic, and when people keep it filled with "lol heavies" they cant communicate.
GoDM1N
Donator

by Rosey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 pm

GoDM1N wrote:Also, unless something has changed spamming chat in general isn't allowed, It's not necessarily the binds, it's when the binds take up the whole chat window. Some members, admins as well, rely on that because they don't have a mic, and when people keep it filled with "lol heavies" they cant communicate.

Beartato wrote: Bind spam is part of the culture and should be dealt with by asking users to dial it back rather than with gags. I don't mean to rag on the pinkmin, it's just that I only know things from this side; I'm sure someone else can point out mistakes a bluemin would make on the fun servers.

think deres some miscommunication here buds
Rosey
Blue Admin

by Arty_pn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:16 am

I think spam has to do with timing, end of a round fine, people are moping and celebrating more than team commands then, but during the middle of a round there is near no need to bind spam more than 15 seconds at a time. I've seen a few admins gag after two binds and I feel that is unacceptable if our two words aren't said.
Arty_pn

by check six » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:03 am

i thought bind spamming died with me. strange.

anyway i dunno, from what i remember funbox culture always had the pretty dumb "randumb" sorta thing that i guess i'd understand why people wouldn't like it, since they share a really, well, childish sort of humor that mor appeals to the "lolrandumb" crowd that generally is more filled with kids idk

but yeah promote mumble, it helped me make some friends in the past even though the only one i talk to anymore is gayboy420 if you're really going for that community thing

ur future plan is 2 unban me rite 8) #meahtsoth >c
any questions? #meatshot
check six

by Balubish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:31 am

check six wrote:i thought bind spamming died with me. strange.

Lol, probably ur account died with that spamming and still u want unban in every fuckin thread as we have spoken about haven't we #meatshot? Talk to the redmins about it or the guy that banned ur meatshot ass, about you getting unban. No one else will. The End

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Beartato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 am

GoDM1N wrote:The pink admin rules are here, and as new mods are added they'll change. Also, unless something has changed spamming chat in general isn't allowed, It's not necessarily the binds, it's when the binds take up the whole chat window. Some members, admins as well, rely on that because they don't have a mic, and when people keep it filled with "lol heavies" they cant communicate.

It's not as if "these are the rules" clarifies everything. There absolutely is judgment required in enforcing some of those rules and it really comes down to understanding the server you're on. I have a few examples from last night:

• This is probably a rare one to come up but did happen last night: The use of pallets of crates. Is dropping one of those on the server every 30 seconds spam? After all, the crate drops are going to fill up the chat to a point where chat is hard to use. And some users wanted the pallet users to stop using them. They continued and some people continued complaining, but others were loving it. Would that be harassment of those who didn't want the crates? Can no one use pallets of crates if I single person on the server will object? In the end, I don't think anyone left because of the crates and a lot of people were happy that they got a ton of fall crates or even a salvage crate. Overall, the server remained at 24/24 the entire time and I feel it even helped interest people in our community by seeing that things outside the ordinary happen from time to time.

• Last night we had a couple people who enjoy talking into the mic. Like, a lot. We're talking "I narrate my life" people. And as a result, pretty much no one else talked because they didn't want to talk with those people. Personally, I think that the narration folk are highly out of place in the SBs while they probably fit right in on the Fun servers. And I say this because one of them from last night is a regular and donor who frequents the Fun servers.

• Some kid came in last night wanting to mic spam some "files" for us. When I told him it wasn't allowed, he got pretty bent out of shape and went on about the servers are no fun and he got support from the Fun server regular mentioned in my previous point. Well, he went ahead of played his "files" and I got quite a few thanks for kicking the kid from users on the server. (Oddly enough, the kid played the quintessential randumb file: A reading of "katy, teh p3nguin of d00m." Like saber mentioned, randumb isn't exactly appreciated in the SBs.)

• And then binds. Those are actually received well on the SBs. Generally people call-and-response with them. One person uses one and five people will use theirs. They're a lot better received than narrating your life over the mic, for sure. But I've noticed in the past that duelmins who spend more time on the Fun servers are quick to gag for their use and without any warning. If nothing else, it's the heavy handedness of gagging without warning that is unnecessary.

So yeah, it's all about judgment because "Don't be a douchebag" isn't a black-and-white rule. The cultures of the different servers require different viewpoints for managing them. In my experience and opinion, it's not helpful to plop a pinkmin into the SBs and give them full powers. That's why I advocate a trial "culture immersion" period for people wishing to work on both sets of servers.
Beartato

by UncleTestes » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 am

I'll add my part since I still want to be an admin.

As for merging, I'm alright with it but, excluding popping duties, would there be a requirement to carry out administration duties on both servers equally, or near equally?

As for bind spam, I was hoping it had died with the wide-eyed smiley face spam (though entertaining at first, was horribly overused). As for Crate pallets, I think a warning should be in order, especially if there's another conversation going on. (except we don't have a good way of informing people of that rule to new players, or strangers who join servers and immediately use the things) However I've seen several people get Salvaged Crates from these, and as Beartato said they cause more joy than anger, so I don't think we should ban them indefinitely.

UncleTestes wrote:"As for"
"As for"
"As for"

whoops
UncleTestes
Donator

by GoDM1N » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:40 am

Beartato wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:The pink admin rules are here, and as new mods are added they'll change. Also, unless something has changed spamming chat in general isn't allowed, It's not necessarily the binds, it's when the binds take up the whole chat window. Some members, admins as well, rely on that because they don't have a mic, and when people keep it filled with "lol heavies" they cant communicate.

It's not as if "these are the rules" clarifies everything. There absolutely is judgment required in enforcing some of those rules and it really comes down to understanding the server you're on. I have a few examples from last night:

• This is probably a rare one to come up but did happen last night: The use of pallets of crates. Is dropping one of those on the server every 30 seconds spam? After all, the crate drops are going to fill up the chat to a point where chat is hard to use. And some users wanted the pallet users to stop using them. They continued and some people continued complaining, but others were loving it. Would that be harassment of those who didn't want the crates? Can no one use pallets of crates if I single person on the server will object? In the end, I don't think anyone left because of the crates and a lot of people were happy that they got a ton of fall crates or even a salvage crate. Overall, the server remained at 24/24 the entire time and I feel it even helped interest people in our community by seeing that things outside the ordinary happen from time to time.

• Last night we had a couple people who enjoy talking into the mic. Like, a lot. We're talking "I narrate my life" people. And as a result, pretty much no one else talked because they didn't want to talk with those people. Personally, I think that the narration folk are highly out of place in the SBs while they probably fit right in on the Fun servers. And I say this because one of them from last night is a regular and donor who frequents the Fun servers.

• Some kid came in last night wanting to mic spam some "files" for us. When I told him it wasn't allowed, he got pretty bent out of shape and went on about the servers are no fun and he got support from the Fun server regular mentioned in my previous point. Well, he went ahead of played his "files" and I got quite a few thanks for kicking the kid from users on the server. (Oddly enough, the kid played the quintessential randumb file: A reading of "katy, teh p3nguin of d00m." Like saber mentioned, randumb isn't exactly appreciated in the SBs.)

• And then binds. Those are actually received well on the SBs. Generally people call-and-response with them. One person uses one and five people will use theirs. They're a lot better received than narrating your life over the mic, for sure. But I've noticed in the past that duelmins who spend more time on the Fun servers are quick to gag for their use and without any warning. If nothing else, it's the heavy handedness of gagging without warning that is unnecessary.

So yeah, it's all about judgment because "Don't be a douchebag" isn't a black-and-white rule. The cultures of the different servers require different viewpoints for managing them. In my experience and opinion, it's not helpful to plop a pinkmin into the SBs and give them full powers. That's why I advocate a trial "culture immersion" period for people wishing to work on both sets of servers.

This pretty much sums up why I think mixing the two is a bad idea. The only thing I'd say is if someone is hogging the mic like that, do a vote mute. I think non admins can start these as well. That way the players make the judgment call for you
GoDM1N
Donator

by Maringue » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:11 pm

I honestly have no idea what's going on in the fun servers, so I wouldn't know what's best for them at all.

And to bring some humor to the situation, I still remember the first time I went to the funserver. And I was pretty freaking drunk.
This is kinda what it felt like, with amazement and bewilderment in equal share. People were having an awesome time all around me, but I had no idea why:

Look, there's two women fucking a polar bear.

Maringue
Blue Admin

by Beartato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:53 pm

GoDM1N wrote:This pretty much sums up why I think mixing the two is a bad idea. The only thing I'd say is if someone is hogging the mic like that, do a vote mute. I think non admins can start these as well. That way the players make the judgment call for you

Yeah, I think I'll start doing that in the future. I have been hesitant in the past just because I don't want to anger people since now I represent the server. I try to tread lightly with my adminning for things that aren't explicitly breaking a rule.

Regular users can indeed votemute and votegag, but so far I've only seen people use those commands on themselves or on replay.
Beartato

by Dravved » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:35 am

Balubish wrote:
check six wrote:i thought bind spamming died with me. strange.

Lol, probably ur account died with that spamming and still u want unban in every fuckin thread as we have spoken about haven't we #meatshot? Talk to the redmins about it or the guy that banned ur meatshot ass, about you getting unban. No one else will. The End

Fucking rekt
Dravved

by WET BUTT DISEASE » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Beartato wrote:
[list][*]This is probably a rare one to come up but did happen last night: The use of pallets of crates. Is dropping one of those on the server every 30 seconds spam? After all, the crate drops are going to fill up the chat to a point where chat is hard to use. And some users wanted the pallet users to stop using them. They continued and some people continued complaining, but others were loving it. Would that be harassment of those who didn't want the crates? Can no one use pallets of crates if I single person on the server will object? In the end, I don't think anyone left because of the crates and a lot of people were happy that they got a ton of fall crates or even a salvage crate. Overall, the server remained at 24/24 the entire time and I feel it even helped interest people in our community by seeing that things outside the ordinary happen from time to time.

yeah my bad

granted it was funny at the time
WET BUTT DISEASE

by Beartato » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I couldn't play because I was laughing so hard. I loved it, but there were a few complainers so it balances out.

BTW, how's that strange fan o' war working out for ya?
Beartato

by WET BUTT DISEASE » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Beartato wrote:I couldn't play because I was laughing so hard. I loved it, but there were a few complainers so it balances out.

i am full of shame and emptiness at all times

the angry video game nerd will be making a video about it soon enough
WET BUTT DISEASE

by Someone Special » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Beartato wrote:I couldn't play because I was laughing so hard. I loved it, but there were a few complainers so it balances out.

I've got one kill on it.
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by UncleTestes » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:31 am

..........................................................................................................................^^
Special
I've been meaning to ask this since I joined the forums.
What is that from?
UncleTestes
Donator

by Someone Special » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

UncleTestes wrote:..........................................................................................................................^^
Special
I've been meaning to ask this since I joined the forums.
What is that from?

What is what from?
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by GoDM1N » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm

what else?
GoDM1N
Donator

by cloud » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. It's the space president named Zaphod Beeblebrox. Strange, I know.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary