Imagine Dragons: Night Visions

You review games and life. We post it in the blog

Imagine Dragons: Night Visions

by Rologton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 am

Imagine Dragons is an indie band out of Las Vegas that has been on the music scene for a few years. After being picked up by Battle Born Studios and dropping their first two EPs, Imagin Dragons and Hell and Science they began to pick up favor amongst the Indie, Alternative and Electronic crowed and began to tour with a number of bands across the nation. On September 4th they dropped their first official studio album, titled Night Visions.

Let me put it this way: Since picking up the album over a week ago, I've probably listened to every song on it about 7 times. Imagine Dragons really has a great, unique sound. The best way that I can think of putting it is that every song sounds big. The album is packed with well put together layerings of guitar and bass, with a nice electronic feel from keyboards, and some very steady drum beats that actually add to the songs instead of keep them in rhythm. For an Indie band, these guys certainly bring a number of influences into their music. The Alternative and Electronic influences are certainly noticable, with the sort of rhythms and melodies that you wouldn't be surprised to hear out of the likes of the Foo Fighters, and the kind of electronic layering and occasional dirty drop that would give Skrillex a chubby.

Frontman Dan Reynolds brings a lot of emotion in his voice with each song. Throughout the album there is an almost anthemic feel that is teased at but only occasionally fully realized. To me, that's good. A lot of bands get lost in the big chorus that gets the crowed standing and yelling along to, and neglects the meaning and feel of the songs. Their breakthrough single It's Time is an example of what I mean. While somewhat anthemic, it's an emotional and meaningful song that portrays its feel just as much through the lyrics sung as through the drum beats and bass and guitar riffs. Reynolds also has an impressive range, for at some songs you need to remind yourself that it's the same person singing. Guitarist Wayne Sermon melds his melodies perfectly into each song, at once distinct from the lyrics and fully supporting them. Bassist Ben McKee shows his skill in switching between holding the rhythm and supporting the melody very cleanly and distinctly. His bass parts often stand out on their own, not just within the song. Similarly, drummer Daniel Platzman really adds to the song. Too often Indie bands are so focussed on the singer and lyrics that the rest of the bad comes almost secondary, and the drummer falls into just holding the rhythm for everybody else. He and McKee have a great interplay when holding the rhythm that makes each part distinct and yet fit perfectly together.

I'm not going to say that I've followed these guys for years, but when I was first introduced to the band a few months ago from some of their LPs I became very excited at the prospect of their first official album. Happily, I am far from dissapointed. I highly recommend both this album and their other LPs, which are equally filled with great songs, including a few that they put into Night Visions. If you see it in stores or on iTunes, do yourself a favor and get Night Visions. I'm going to say it now: Someday, Imagine Dragons is going to be huge.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

Re: Imagine Dragons: Night Visions

by BigShovel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:12 pm

I'll check them out.
BigShovel

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary