Revolution - TV show 1st ep review

You review games and life. We post it in the blog

Revolution - TV show 1st ep review

by Failhorse » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/

Over the weekend you were able to watch the entire first episode of Revolution on NBC.com. You may still be able too, not sure. There are spoilers ahead. But with any JJ Abrams story you know there will be dozens of contrive mysteries.

Some pretext. Something happens to electricity. Not an EMP or something simply explained. And of course the main character at the start of the story knows it's going to happen. He even has this little USB thingy (explained later,) that has magical properties. But when we flash 15 years ahead and apparently he hasn't told a single person what was going on. Simply explained within a few minutes from a fat former google executive, something happened to physics. Something so bad in fact, within 5 minutes of opening a plane falls, in a spiral, out of the sky. At this point i realized the show would be terrible. And I was right. Regardless I will probably still watch, just to support some sort of Sci-fi programming on network TV.

OK so this show is terrible. The pretext is terrible. The adding mysteries for the sake of mysteries, from JJ Abrams... He's turning into the M Night Shamalamdingdong of network TV. Why? OK firearms in the US. Their are about 3 for every person in the US. This is before most of the population was wiped out. But the only person with a firearm made anywhere near the 20th century was the main antagonist. Everyone else in the militia is using 18th century firearms, swords, or bows. These are supposed to be the bad guys. The Monroe Republic. Lead by a former Army Sergeant. Hell, the first thing the leader did after the power went out was walk to his base. What no guns there? And. He also outlawed firearms in his territory. Yet we find some still carry. Again nothing modern. So not only does physics take out electricity. It also completely removes common sense.

OK moving on. The guy that knows what happened and why dies. Tells his niece, or daughter (forgot which) to go to Chicago and track down his brother. His son was kidnapped and his brother is apparently really good at killing. We also find another contradiction. We hear people who didn't leave the cities died. Yet Chicago, which last I checked was a city, was still functioning pretty well. Meanwhile the Google guy is secretly carrying the magic USB thing. ( still gotta wait for that explanation.)

Meanwhile the son who was kidnapped escapes. He makes his way to a house and has an asthma attack. He wakes up to find he was rescued by an algebra teacher. Who then proceeds to give him up to the main antagonist.

Back with the main group. The father warned the roads weren't safe. We see why. They find the brother. Then we see how good he is at killing people. First says he won't help. Then says he will. We find out that Monroe wants the brothers ( 1 who is now dead) because he thinks they know how to get the power back on. Thankfully the jackass never explained why the power went off. So we have an added unnecessary mystery.

Then the end of the episode. Funny how the son of the guy who knows what happened, happens to stumble upon a house with the algebra teacher. Why? Well she happens to have one of the magical usb devices too. We find out it lets the power work. Great for story telling. Terrible to make it seem like a good story. Just like Fringe and several other shows. There's a device (like the typewriter in Fringe.) that allows her to communicate with a mysterious informed someone.

But watch the show!!!!

It's Sci-fi on network TV. We are still in the midst of way too many reality shows ( on network TV) and the redneck renaissance on cable. So, unless you like Hillbilly Handfishing, Swamp Loggers, and whatever else. Watch the damn show. Most decent shows suck their first season. These days original programming dies after 6 episodes. Years ago, shows would suck (IE MASH) but are given a chance. Otherwise TV will have a for mentioned or X crime show.

Why is this review so jumbled? Because the show is as well. It doesn't deserve a reviewed review. I hope it doesn't hurt to read. The show hurt me. A lot.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Revolution - TV show 1st ep review

by Hatred » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm

you just saved me a hour of my life TY !
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by Repoman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:34 pm

You would think there would be more guns. Im not quite sure how electricity going away makes guns go away.
Repoman

by Failhorse » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm going to revise my review. I was doing while on a conference call.

A lot of this show makes no sense whatsoever. Ball and cap guns? Really? The show takes place 15 years after the power goes out. And apparently tons of people died. But I don't see 1) all the ammunition being used. 2) if so, you can make it without electricity pretty quickly.

And the father's kid. Just happens to come upon a house, with a lady, who just happens to have to same usb drive thing. It's really bad story telling. Mystery for the sake of mystery. Like i said in the original post. Add JJ Abrams to the same club as M Night, Chris Carter, Mel Gibson, and Seth Macfarlane for over playing the same crap time and time again.

We need more story tellers like j Michael Straczynski and Stephen Chbosky.

But watch the show!!!!

It's Sci-fi on network TV. We are still in the midst of way too many reality shows ( on network TV) and the redneck renaissance on cable. So, unless you like Hillbilly Handfishing, Swamp Loggers, and whatever else. Watch the damn show. Most decent shows suck their first season. These days original programming dies after 6 episodes. Years ago, shows would suck (IE MASH) but are given a chance. Otherwise TV will have a for mentioned or X crime show.

So watch the show. Then blame JJ for screwing it up, by putting his name on it.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Maringue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 am

This is tough, I'm already giving one shitty Sci-fi show (Falling Skies) a shot. I don't know if I can take two, especially one that rapes all known science and common sense.
Maringue
Blue Admin

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary