My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

You review games and life. We post it in the blog

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

by xalde » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:31 am

Available through iTunes - $50/season $2.99/episode
Full episodes also available on YouTube (free)

I’m going to be brave and take a stab at reviewing My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. A few things first though. If you don’t like cartoons, then don’t bother reading on. If you’re just going to harass/spam/troll, and you’re already prejudiced against this show, then nothing I can say will change your mind so move on. However if you were like me and honestly curious to see what the hell this show is about and why so many people like it, then please continue reading. I will try to relate my process of viewing my first episode, my thought processes, and how & why I think the way I do – that this is an honestly fantastic cartoon that although seemingly focused for little girls is actually an entertaining show for all ages and genders.

I’ll start with the basic observation: this is a cartoon. Like most cartoons it is geared toward kids of ages 8 – 17. I happen to be a kid at heart and love cartoons. Some of my favorites are Avatar the Last Airbender (and the sequel Korra), Powerpuff Girls, Fairly Oddparents, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, and Talespin. I was a bit apprehensive to watch this show at first because I remember watching the old My Little Pony cartoon from the 80’s (checkout YouTube to find out why I was apprehensive). I gave it a shot anyway, and after a couple of episodes have become a big fan of it.

The main premise of the story is the character Twilight Sparkle, a nerdisly bookworm unicorn pony studying magic at a private school, is sent from the kingdom of Canterlot to the small town of Ponyville to learn about the “magic of friendship.” Or in other words her mentor knew she was a hermit and forced her to go out and make friends. This is easily done as everyone in Ponyville knows she’s new to the area, and 5 other ponies her age make it their point to make her feel welcome and be friends.

Those 5 other ponies are the other “main” characters of the show. I’ll go over each of them quickly. There’s Pinky Pie, the bubbly always happy laughing pink pony – always provide humor. Apple Jack is the orangish pony from a large family living at the farm (an apple orchard); she’s hardworking and honest much like most farm folk. Rarity is the prim and proper unicorn pony that owns a dressmaking shop, always on top of fashion, and yet is consistently generous with her time and possessions. Rainbow Dash is the loyal adventure-seeking tomboy pegasus pony. Finally Fluttershy is another pegasus pony that is kind to a fault and incredibly shy who that can also speak with animals.

Each episode usually involves some sort of hyjinx or problem or issue, like Apple Jack being a work-a-holic and not asking help from anyone, or a “strange pony” that comes to town that everyone is afraid of for no good reason, or something more epic like in the first of the season 2 episodes where this being of chaos returns and the ponies must defeat him (excellent episodes by the by, guest starring John de Lancie a.k.a. Q from Star Trek). At the end there’s usually some sort of moral that Twilight learns and relates to princess Celestia (her mentor) in her letters – about how it’s important to ask for help when you need it, or to always be there for someone, or how to not spread secrets because trust is utmost importance among friends, etc. These morals aren’t normally dealt with in the corny cheesy “we just put this in here and it doesn’t fit into the story or theme at all” kind of way. In fact these are put in so seamlessly you hardly notice it’s a teaching mechanism.

Going into my initial viewing of the series I was expecting something sickeningly sweet and girly and all around made for the younger viewing audience. I was wrong. The only “girly” thing about the show is that it’s about ponies, but there are guy ponies too; along with a few squees and group hugs, but nothing I couldn’t handle nor register an eye roll. It was nothing like the 80’s ponies, or Rainbow Bright, or Strawberry Shortcake. As for being made for the younger viewing audience, I was surprised to discover that it didn’t think I was a moron, it wasn’t talking down to me like in Dora the Explorer or other pre-school aged cartoons. Instead it was actually quite humorous; it was along the lines of regular cartoons I’ve watched over the years like Gummi Bears and Duck Tales. The humor they add in is perfect for those young at heart like me. Scenes involving Pinky Pie popping out of nowhere for one reason or another, ponies trying to get Fluttershy to shout encouragement or be more vocal and in response getting something incredibly soft and meek though Fluttershy thinks otherwise and apologizes for. There are many faces of anger or frustration which look completely out of place for the characters and yet fit so very well with the scene to not disrupt the story or mood and instead provide humor as in “that’s so unlike them!” All in all each episode I watched was entertaining, something I could just zone out and enjoy like many other cartoons I enjoy. Nothing broke the zone; nothing really made me roll my eyes in disgust. This show sucked me in and brought me a bliss that only a good cartoon could.

Besides the humor that satisfies the kid in me without being ridiculous, another reason I love this show is I can relate to many of its characters. Like Twilight I’m nerdish and hermit-like, and can find it very difficult to go out and meet new people, let alone make friends. Like Apple Jack I come from a farming background and work very hard, I am the definition of work-a-holic just like my father. Finally like Fluttershy I’m very timid and shy most of the time, and unless pissed off am kind to a fault. I can identify with the characters, and I can identify with the situations they are put in. To be brutally honest I even take heart a few of the lessons the show offers, I see what I do in my life through this show and relate with their lessons. This show actually gets me to care about the characters, to feel sorry for those hurt or let down. Any show that gets me so involved emotionally like that is a great show in my opinion.

I also enjoy the animation style; it has the barest hint of anime to it like Avatar the Last Airbender but to a lesser extent. It is also very colorful yet simple and not overwhelming.

In short, if you can get yourself past the “girly” prejudice others give this show, if you can get past the title “My Little Pony” and just watch an episode or two, and if you like cartoons in general, I honestly think you would enjoy this show. A show that has John de Lancie as a guest star cannot possibly be all that bad, and if anything go watch Season 2 Episodes 1 & 2 just for him. If there is any kid in you at all you will enjoy those two episodes. Perhaps then you’d be willing just to see what the heck the others are about too.

Season 2 Episode 1 link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g-pVfRsF1o
Season 2 Episode 2 link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXSapCY9Pa4
Last edited by xalde on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
xalde
Donator

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

by Ninja » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:37 am

I for one was pulled into the show because of the animation and lauren faust whom I love from other series.
I immediately fell in love with the show.

I feel alot of people could love this show too, but are put off due to seeing it generically as a show for little girls.
Which I honestly think it isn't, I also love the creators.
They pay attention to what the fans want, as in naming ponies due to what 'pet 'names we give them on the internet.
Best examples are derpy and doctor whooves.
They also put subtle things in the shows for us as well.

I mean come on how can you say this isn't a reference to something?

Anyways, amazing job on this Xalde.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by VoltySquirrel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 am

I'm not a brony or anything, but I find it to be a pretty okay television program. If it's on TV I'll watch it.
VoltySquirrel

by stanley » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 am

if i were to watch it, i would either like it, and hate myself forever. Or not like it, and have wasted my time. its a lose-lose, so i will never watch it

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Rologton » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 am

I really have nothing against the show at all. I don't know anybody IRL who likes it, but enough of my internet friends (read: Critsandvich people) like it that, if nothing else, I've gotten used to it. I did watch the first two episodes, and although I laughed, I wasn't wowed by it. I suppose I'll give others a shot, I had heard that it gets better as the season progresses. I suppose part of it is the cartoons that I watched (and still watch sometimes) as a kid. They were either rediculous and funny, like Freakazoid of Hysteria, or actiony and cool like Batman Beyond, Spider-Man and Dragon Ball Z.

Also, those few people who claim that "MLP is my life" kind of put me off. Then again, there are people like that everywhere soooo.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Prof_Schwartz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:02 am

Ninja wrote:I for one was pulled into the show because of the animation and lauren faust whom I love from other series.

Those other series include Codename: Kids Next Door, which I would still watch whenever it's on. That show was great. And another show, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. That show was unbelievable the characters, the creativity... I would still watch that show too if it was still on. I barely see it.

But MLP is something I wouldn't watch. I guess I just don't understand the whole fascination with animated ponies and bronies, etc. I've looked into it a little bit, but I'm just not a fan. I have absolutely nothing against it whatsoever, but it just isn't my thing.

But great job on this review xalde! :)
Prof_Schwartz

by megamoose » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 pm

All hail the former admins of the Love Nest and the Love Nest in general for getting me into MLP:FiM, especially Jett.

I liek the show constantly, and when a new episode goes in the Steam group (yes, SEVERAL steam groups about MLP:FiM) I want to watch the video. One thing is, I love the .MOV serioes because it's a parody on it.
megamoose
Donator

by Smeemo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Well-written review. I watched the entire first episode. I couldn't get my brain to stop screaming, "THIS WAS MADE TO MARKET PLASTIC JUNK TO LITTLE GIRLS." I realize that the show might be good on its own merits, but I just can't enjoy it.
Smeemo

by Pikmin3411 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:49 pm

*Ahem*
My gif sig.

Best Pony.
Pikmin3411
Donator

by Beartato » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:32 pm

xalde wrote:Some of my favorites are Avatar the Last Airbender (and the sequel Korra)...

I'd be interested in a review of Korra if you feel compelled. I feel that show is rich for discussion both standalone and relating to The Last Airbender.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Pikmin3411 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Someone do a review of the Legend of Zelda Movie.

...Yes, there is a legend of zelda movie.
Pikmin3411
Donator

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary