The Amazing Spider-Man

You review games and life. We post it in the blog

The Amazing Spider-Man

by Rologton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:08 pm

This movie was bad and it hurt me. :cry:

*Sigh*

You have no idea how much it hurts to have to say that. I've never really mentioned it here on CSn, but I am a HUGE Spider-Man fan. Like, seriously, I have loved him since I was a kid. I read the comics, watched the cartoons, went to all of the movies in theatres, not played the games because quite frankly I have yet to play a super hero video game that didn't make me sad, everything. I love Spider-Man.

But there's very little I can say to redeem this movie. Here's what I can say: the action scenes are pretty cool, it's more accurate to the comics than the first 3, and I liked that they brought back Spider-Man's signature banter and goofing around. That's more accurate to the character: half the time he spent crime fighting he spent just kind of messing with his opponants.

But even those have their flaws. The actions scenes were really hectic and fast paced, even though it was more accurate than the old movies it still wasn't all that accurate, and although the banter was funny at times, other times it was just really stupid and spilled into moments that should have been serious and just kind of ruined them. The moment that was supposed to be the city finally standing with him was nothing like the phenominal train scene in Spider-Man 2, in fact it was just kind of stupid.

They also demolished the character of Peter Parker. He goes from the nerdy and awkward but lovable genious, to the clearly smart but angsty, twitchy skateboarding teenager with abandonment issues. He doesn't start fighting crime because of his deep-seaded sense of what is right and what is wrong and because he wanted to uphold the lessons Uncle Ben taught him, he does it because he's pissed that Uncle Ben was killed, than because he feels guilty that he's part of the reason Dr. Connors turned into The Lizard. There was a moment in the middle of the movie where it looked like they were about to get it right, but then they just lose it.

Lets get back to the accuracy issue. Yes, Gwen Stacy was in it, she was the original love interest, Mary-Jane came much later. Fine. Yes, The Lizard is the villain, he was Spidey's first actual villain. That's great, The Lizard is actually my favorite Spider-Man Villain. Cool, he's in High School. Yeah, pretty sure the first one got that right.

Aaaand that's where it end. Hope you don't like Harry Osborne, because he's not in it. I hope you don't like Dr. Conner's backstory of having joined the Army as a surgeon, where he lost his arm, because they don't even bother giving him a real story, or even any particular characterization. I hope you didn't like that his parents were S.H.I.E.L.D. agents killed in the line of duty, instead now his father was a worker for Oscorp, yet another (/ghasp!) evil corporation only around for the CEO's goals, killed off when he goes against it (how generic can you get?!). I really hope you didn't like the story arch where he goes to a wrestling match as "The Human Spider", where the announcer calls him Spider-Man, and he lets a robber go free because the guy that was supposed to give him prize money ripped him off only to find out later that the guy robbed and killed Uncle Ben. Yes, the original movie got that right. Instead they have Uncle Ben die in a pretty lame way and then (SPOILER!) half the movie is Peter trying to find the guy that did it only to have that whole plot point be completely forgotten.

But the worst tragedy is what they did to The Lizard. Not only was Dr. Conners turned into a totally generic and entirely stupid character, they did The Lizard all wrong. The Lizard was orriginally essentially a reptilian Hulk: he gets pissed, turns into a giant animal and goes on a rampage. I wish that's what they did, but instead they gave him a big desire to dominate the world. And yes, I know that was a story line in the comics, but it was a stupid story line that nobody liked. And this may seem petty, but you know what bothered me the most the whole time? The Lizard didn't wear his fucking labcoat! In any of these is he not wearing a lab coat? No! Becaue that's what The Lizard wore! There are times when he has it on in the movie, and I was about to sigh in relief, but then he wears it for about 20 seconds before taking it off! They couldn't get that ONE FUCKING THING right?! (/nerdrage!)

You know what the best summary for this movie I could think of is? It feels like a live-action re-imagining of the 90's Spider Man cartoon done on ABC Family. Have you ever watched that cartoon when you were older and realized just how stupidly fast paced it was? Yeah, it was perfect for the 90s, and for a 30 minute kids cartoon, but for an hour and change movie in 2012?

In conclusion: It's not Green Lantern bad. God no, you have to actually try to be that level of god-aweful. And yes, this is coming from a fan, and we're notoriously hard to please. I never expected it to be better than any of the original three (And yes, I am saying that it's worse that Spider Man 3), but I did expect it to be at least as good as the first one, and it just wasn't. It didn't make me angry that I spent money to see it like Green Lantern. In fact, it mostly just made me sad. Really, really sad. :cry:
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man

by MamaWeegee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 pm

:O You have to play Spiderman 2: The videogame. Or at least Ultimate Spiderman. They actually are really good games
Level 12 Cardinals Fan
MamaWeegee

by Bagger Vance » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 am

:O You have to play Spiderman 2: The videogame

Weegee that is literally my favorite video game of all time.

And this movie was absolute garbage and slander and should be removed from theaters immediately
Bagger Vance
Donator
Photographer at Daily Bugle

by Wakka » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 am

ill jump in on this bandwagon, spider-man 2 was a damn good game
Wakka

by Prof_Schwartz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:18 am

Spiderman 2 game was incredible i remember playing it on the Gamecube....

As for reading this review for the movie? I'm not surprised it was terrible. I knew from the start that the second they were changing up the whole storyline and not continuing from Spiderman 3, I knew it wasn't going to be good. Yes, I understand they wanted to make it more like the original comics but c'mon, really? New costume? New personality altogether? :|
Prof_Schwartz

by NBC011795 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:31 am

Prof_Schwartz wrote:Spiderman 2 game was incredible i remember playing it on the Gamecube....

Same here.
NBC011795
Pink Admin

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 am

This is relevant:

You see, Spidey's nimble moves represent the decent set up. Then it falls flat on it's face, killing himself and the person he was trying to save, the woman (aka the fans) when a bomb (awful writing) blows up in their faces, destroying everything that is good in sight.
VoltySquirrel

by Rologton » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah, I really should play Sider-Man 2, I've always heard that was great...

Anyway, it's actually less accurate to the comics. Unless you count the Lizard story arch, which I don't, because that story arch was fucking retarded, nobody liked it, and they ret-conned the shit out of it when it was done.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:28 am

Saw this on Twitter:

Also, there's this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Spider-Man
VoltySquirrel

by Saber » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm gonna watch it later with my sister. I think she's just there to see pretty boys.
Saber

Return to Community Reviews and Commentary