Windows 10 free upgrade ends July 29th

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Windows 10 free upgrade ends July 29th

by Balubish » Mon May 09, 2016 6:54 am

So for you guys running on older Windows version like Windows 7, 8 and have a free upgrade for Windows 10 should do it pretty soon.
Be reminded, after July 29th ur upgrade wont be free anymore. So even if you have a payed copy of Windows 7 or 8+8.1 and right now are allowed a free upgrade to Windows 10,
should do it before July 29th. After that anyone will have to buy a new copy of Windows 10 and they wont give a rats ass if you have Win 7 or 8 on hard copy.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Re: Windows 10 free upgrade ends July 29th

by L0wsound » Mon May 09, 2016 9:13 am

On the flip side, if you hate change that much(or love 7(or xp...)) they'll stop with the upgrade nagging as well
http://www.winbeta.org/news/get-windows ... offer-ends
L0wsound

by Balubish » Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am

L0wsound wrote:On the flip side, if you hate change that much(or love 7(or xp...)) they'll stop with the upgrade nagging as well
http://www.winbeta.org/news/get-windows ... offer-ends

Yeah thats true, forgot to type that out.

Balubish
Donator

by Poppet » Mon May 09, 2016 10:48 am

I loathed getting Windows 10 when it came out because it had all of those problems when it was new. Now it doesn't suck nearly as much. Ended up getting forced into it when my computer auto-updated. Since there was the 30 day backup I could switch back to Windows 7 if I wanted to so I decided to try it.

The only problem I have with Windows 10 is no Aero glass which made Windows 7 so pretty. Task Manager isn't retarded anymore and does what it's told. Virtual Desktop is good. The Windows store is bonus.

Recommend getting it if any of you haven't. I'm past 30 days and I had no inclination to go back.
Poppet
Blue Admin

by Ron Swansons Stache » Mon May 09, 2016 5:17 pm

I was holding off because I read negative things but sounds like they have their shit figured out and I guess I can't pass on a free OS upgrade..
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Rumors » Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Yeah its gotten noticeably better since its release. I feel like It's an improvement on Windows 8, but deep down I still prefer Windows 7

There are a lot of updates coming over the next couple months that may be worth looking into if you're inclined.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/343347/4-big-updates-coming-to-windows-10-this-summer

After July 29th, you'll have to shill out at least $130 USD for Windows 10 Home, or $200 for Windows 10 Pro, so it might be worth upgrading before then if you you don't want to pay that steep price later. :S

I recommend turning off peer to peer download sharing when you update first thing, that way your internets don't get used to seed windows updates to people around your area.
Image[/url]Image
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

by L0wsound » Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 am

Rumors wrote:I recommend turning off peer to peer download sharing when you update first thing, that way your internets don't get used to seed windows updates to people around your area.

Was the first thing I did.
I really wouldn't mind it if only it was more easily managed. It really just feels like to much 'smoke n mirrors' / behind the curtain-y
Like simply being able to choose which computers around you were allowed to pull updates, etc.

I already manage a few hundred Windows machines at work through WSUS(which has a perfectly usable interface) so not having any insight or granularity in the peer-to-peer system is irksome.
L0wsound

by MGunz » Sat May 21, 2016 3:36 pm

I've heard Windows 10 is more of a resource hog than 7... that's what scares me away from upgrading. I have a 5 year old PC ... runs TF2 well now, but I am afraid it will become more choppy if I upgrade.

Anyone have any feedback on this?
MGunz
Donator

by Balubish » Sat May 21, 2016 6:41 pm

MGunz wrote:I've heard Windows 10 is more of a resource hog than 7... that's what scares me away from upgrading. I have a 5 year old PC ... runs TF2 well now, but I am afraid it will become more choppy if I upgrade.

Anyone have any feedback on this?

Well im having lower FPS at the moment but I have the same FPS at 1080p and 4K so not sure if its TF2 or Win10.
But I did have one weird issue when it comes to TF2 and I could not play 1080p fullscreen. Had to change to borderless window mode on startup otherwise I got this weird ass lag.
And yeah beeing newer and all that Im pretty sure Win 10 eat up like a bit more RAM etc. Im usually around 120 softwares running in win 10, alot less in win7.
If it will make a major hit on ur system I have no idea. Other than that im pretty happy with it.

Balubish
Donator

Return to Intense Debate