Why do you play games?

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Why do you play games?

by NickTheCanadianCore » Sun May 25, 2014 2:16 pm

I just watched a game theory episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyUC_28HIvA and it got me thinking. Why do YOU play video games?

Now, the theorists mentioned that the 3 main reasons are for:
Competence(the feeling of mastery,achievements and completionists), so platformers
Autonomy(control over actions and choose your own adventure), so open world games
Relatedness(we matter to others, and help society and others), so multiplayers/online.

However, I believe there is another reason, being: Artistic values.
What is art? I think of it is anything, being food, vehicles, tattoos, music, paintings, etc.
The main reason I play games are for artistic values, such as music, and ambience, realisticness, and environment backgrounds.
So, Sid Meier's Civilization has it's own great music setlist, The Beatles: Rock Band has realisticness up to a point, miles beyond the normal rock band, And Zelda and the lion king game have amazing backgrounds

to understand by my reasoning check these.
Lion King: http://i4.minus.com/iYlfINoehVLdv.png
Zelda: http://gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/North_Hyrule_Field.jpg
Rock Band:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaE379v4kh4
Civilization 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH-Qw2pbrNk

To conclude, Why do YOU play?
Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Canada in a nutshell.
ImageImage
NickTheCanadianCore

Re: Why do you play games?

by HausOfJoel » Sun May 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Because there are Mosquitos outside
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Sanic-X » Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 pm

I found that a really interesting video. I've played a ton of games, and I'd say I draw mostly off of competence and relatedness. I love trying to get 100% in games (I don't often do, but I like to try!), and I love the feeling when you get better and can see yourself improving. I've always found myself drawn into stories in games (I've cried playing video games before and I'm not afraid to admit it), and I always get really attached to characters. And I also enjoy interacting with fans and seeing what they can come up with (fanart, fanfiction, cosplay, etc.). Games also offer an escape and a time killer, and are a great way to relieve stress.
..::..-context is important-..::..
gotta go fast
Sanic-X
Blue Admin

by taco man » Tue May 27, 2014 1:56 am

on multiplayer games i like to piss people off
taco man
Donator
Dota 2. for it all. Its a 30$ value!

by Ron Swansons Stache » Tue May 27, 2014 9:57 am

Since joining a community I found myself playing a TON more TF2. Mostly I just play for competence and competitiveness (plus, ya know, it's just fun). I'm a super competitive guy so anyway I can fulfill that while also being lazy is a plus.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Nikki Wolf » Tue May 27, 2014 2:47 pm

I hate video games, so I don't play them at all.

Okay, being serious, I play TF2 so often, since CSn does feel like a second home for me. I've been here since December 2010, and I have been enjoying my time here as an admin and as a regular player. Just an amazing group of people here. Aside from that, I like to play video games as a way of relieving stress and as a way to spend time with friends. In regards to Minecraft, that feels like an addiction, as I feel so immersed in the world that I can do whatever I want to in XD
Nikki Wolf

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu May 29, 2014 8:53 am

Nikki Wolf wrote:I hate video games, so I don't play them at all.

Okay, being serious, I play TF2 so often, since CSn does feel like a second home for me. I've been here since December 2010, and I have been enjoying my time here as an admin and as a regular player. Just an amazing group of people here. Aside from that, I like to play video games as a way of relieving stress and as a way to spend time with friends. In regards to Minecraft, that feels like an addiction, as I feel so immersed in the world that I can do whatever I want to in XD

That's definitely me as well, I love to blow off steam. if I had a long day or stuff's pissing me off I kind of just let go by jumping into TF2 and hanging with everyone and forgetting about it for a few seconds. I do the same with offline sports/lifting as well.

Speaking of Minecraft Nikki, do you have a specific server you play on or do you just play singleplayer? I've been looking to get back into it but can't find a server that isn't modded up the ass with stuff I don't know and has a relatively older and mature community.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Nikki Wolf » Thu May 29, 2014 11:11 am

Ron Swansons Stache wrote:Speaking of Minecraft Nikki, do you have a specific server you play on or do you just play singleplayer? I've been looking to get back into it but can't find a server that isn't modded up the ass with stuff I don't know and has a relatively older and mature community.

I host my own server, which I use to play with Grey Fox and Rainbow (a friend of his). My net's not that great, but it has to do. It's modded up the ass as well (Tekkit with some stuff pulled in from Hexxit, from the feel of it), but still. We don't put any rules or restrictions down, so we just do whatever we want to or what needs to be done.
Nikki Wolf

by Balubish » Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 am

You should get oculus rift for even more immersion into Minecraft then :)

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by Nikki Wolf » Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Balubish wrote:

You should get oculus rift for even more immersion into Minecraft then :)

Didn't they cancel Rift support for Minecraft, though?
Nikki Wolf

by Balubish » Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Nikki Wolf wrote:In regards to Minecraft, that feels like an addiction, as I feel so immersed in the world that I can do whatever I want to in XD

Didn't they cancel Rift support for Minecraft, though?[/quote]

There are patches I guess, cause I have seen ppl play minecraft on it anyways.
Last edited by Balubish on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balubish
Donator

by arteezy1 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:21 pm

don't have too much else to live for anyway
arteezy1

by Orland » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:56 am

There are lot's of reason due to which i like to play games some of them are as follow
Because i feel relax after playing games.
Games help in increasing the sharpness of mind.
through games you can learn new things.
and so on....
Orland

by Balubish » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 am

Orland wrote:There are lot's of reason due to which i like to play games some of them are as follow
Because i feel relax after playing games.
Games help in increasing the sharpness of mind.
through games you can learn new things.
and so on....

This is actually true. They did a study that ppl that play racing games gets faster reaction over time of playing. The synapses in your brain can actually be trained this way. The more you play the faster your reaction time gets.
I guess this works with FPS games too. Cause its often a quick reaction time on life or death. So over time you get "Skill" can also be called reaction time. If you are new to a game it can be hard at first. Manly new grounds, new weapons etc.
A gamer as most of us here have faster reaction time in general so our learning time for new games are often faster and play games on hard right from the beginning just to make it harder and more of a challange.

Edit: I have heard but dont remember the right number but a (IRL) racecar driver in general have 1/3 faster reaction time than a average person.

Balubish
Donator

by Guy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Because of my blindness in real life keeps me from being a military medic, I live the fantasy threw TF2.
The other FPS games don't really give me what I am looking for, a medic in real life doesn't go around attacking unless they have to... just like tf2.
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:49 am

Guy wrote:Because of my blindness in real life keeps me from being a military medic, I live the fantasy threw TF2.
The other FPS games don't really give me what I am looking for, a medic in real life doesn't go around attacking unless they have to... just like tf2.

Wow really? That is absolutely awesome.
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by Doctor Galaxy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Multiple reasons.
I've felt that it's either because
A: I hate physical labor, and because of that I don't care much for sports.
B: I am not extremely fond of insects, i.e. Haus's comment about mosquitos.
C: Unlike a majority of my friends, I don't have either a girlfriend or something actually going on for them.

But the real reason is that video games are pretty cool on expanding some skills.
Skyrim emphasizes dedication on getting perks and such to make some type of Swordsmagetheifperson. Metal Gear involves both espionage and stealth, and helps build up patience so you don't trigger an alert phase. And I guess TF2 has something to do with making you appreciate hats and bread.
EDIT: I forgot to mention the fact that I've been a longtime Nintendo fan since I was 3 at the very most because I used to play Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros. on my Dad's old NES despite growing up in the N64/PS1 era. I transitioned over to other systems when I was about 6, owning an outdated Windows 98 and having a disc copy of Team Fortress Classic which unfortunately later broke when we were moving, but when I became about 14 or so I got interested in Xbox 360 gaming, especially Halo 3. My favorite console games are both Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 and Metroid Prime for the GCN, which I occasionally go back to find glitches and sequence-break stuff.
Last edited by Doctor Galaxy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Galaxy
Pink Admin

by flufffage » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 pm

HausOfJoel wrote:Because there are Mosquitos outside

I'm allergic to the sun. And people.

Jk. No but I think its because I was essentially deprived of video games growing up. To this day, I have only ever had a PC... No game boys, no Nintendo, not even a Tamagotchi. I suppose its safe to say that I Nintendon't

And even then, I only had those Barbie computer games, because any other video game console/computer game was, at best "for boys", and at worst, "unproductive". I suppose the whole reason I'm so into them now is some form of rebellion against that stigma that my parents still carry today. They seem to put up with it now, since I think they realize its something I seriously enjoy, but I can tell they don't approve 100%.

So yeah, got about 22 years of games to catch up on.
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by Balubish » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 am

Well I kinda grew up when the games starting too come on different platforms, PC, Atari, Amiga etc.
I have basicly gamed all my life and love it for the stories and action etc.

First I saved up for about a year, dont remember how old I was but got a Commadore 64. Loading the games on cassette tapes. One game I had was V from the series. Took about 15min to load a map. Many of you guys probably dont know what it is lol But still loved it, sucked to load games but I played the hell out of that.
And that is the first kinda PC I had, you could program and much more, but I mainly gamed on it.
Image Image

Next up was the Nintendo. Oh man, my first and last console I bought. Zelda, Megaman series, Ballon Fight, Kid Icarus, Goonies 2, Super Mario, and lots of games that actually ppl play today but later series of it like Snakes Revenge that is today the same series as Metal Gear Solid

Next I saved up to buy my first computer with much better graphics "then" I think it was the first type of platform with XGA if im not wrong. Had alot of games and demos and even then I started using a music program. It was shit if you compare today lol but that is why I love the evolution of technolgy in the PC/Gaming world so much. I like to see the improvments and all that. And that was the first time I had a 3,5" Diskdrive, it were the new shit then. Much faster to load games than a tape for the C64.

And my first PC I bought was a ICL branded 4x86 4mb ram 130MB hardrive 2mb cirrus graphics card. First PC I ever had with a harddrive. Year later the optical drive "CD" got mainstream so bought one.
And so on and so on. And after that I started building my own pc's :)
And now here I am.

Balubish
Donator

by Mr.Dr.Adorable » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:26 pm

I play cuz'....It help's with SCIENCE! Or something along with those lines....Yeah. 8-)
Mr.Dr.Adorable

Return to Intense Debate