What people dislike about creationism, or other religion

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

What people dislike about creationism, or other religion

by NickTheCanadianCore » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 am

I am a varying agnostic to an evolutionist, when it comes to religion,.
Now I am not asking for personal opinions on which is best, I just ask what people dislike about another religion or such topic. Using examples will be permitted, and made up religions count (whatever that means).

And You Know You Should Be Glad!
Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly, a girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Canada in a nutshell.
ImageImage
NickTheCanadianCore

Re: What people dislike about creationism, or other religion

by Arty_pn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:32 am

I am agnostic catholic, I feel things that make me agnostic the most are the power and corruption, it's resistance to change, what the bible says about sex and sexuality, lastly the Trinity, "One God",and the Miracles depicted within the bible. I feel the things that make me feel catholic are the teachings of forgiveness, charity, unity, and mostly, empathy. I really think the holy books should be taken with a grain of salt and a open mind, but some are good reads, you can probably poke around and find funny excerpts in the catholic Bible, the book of Mormon, Quran, Tao Te Ching and other works.
Arty_pn

by Maringue » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 am

Topic moved.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by UncleTestes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am

I like Christians. They're generally good people who do good things. What I don't like about them is when they get offensively preachy, or they come to my door and try to shove it down my throat in the nicest way possible so that I can barely refuse.
UncleTestes
Donator

by Beartato » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I was raised and confirmed a Roman Catholic, but I'm not very religious and am a Deist if I must call myself something.

I'm fairly cynical about religious folk in general from my involvement with the church growing up, but I don't like to criticize others if their beliefs aren't imposing them on others or hurting others in some way.

Evolution is real and is the foundation of so much of modern science at this point that it's a joke to still deny that it happens. The Christian creation myth can still exist if you avoid reading it literally and instead take it as a parable.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by LegendarySurgeon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Deism looks pretty fancy from a 60 second skim of the Wikipedia article.

I, too, was raised Roman Catholic and have not made a concerted effort to attend weekly mass since leaving my parents' home (as far as religious background is required).

In terms of creationism, I've always been frustrated by people who take any scripture literally. Attending a Jesuit parish we were always taught that evolution and creationism are in absolutely no way mutually exclusive. Evolution can be just as easily described as God's hand guiding the development of a species. For those that insist the world was made in seven days I have always appreciated something my father says, "Is there any greater hubris than to assume that God's days are the same as ours?"

By far and a way the thing I think people dislike most about creationism is not that it conflicts with science or its religious significance but rather that so many people refuse to even allow scientific truth to speak to them because of their refusal to understand anything more than a limited and literal interpretation of some story of creation. You hear far too often people saying evolution can't be true because the bible says God created all the creatures of the world. I'm not sure there's any easy way to sway those people from their ignorant and fear-filled holes of traditional thinking but if anyone can do it I have high hopes for our Jesuit pope.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by GoDM1N » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm

For the most part, if not all, people who don't believe in evolution don't actually understand what it is. It is not a creation theory as most proclaim it to be. It is change to living organisms, nothing else. It has nothing to do with creation. However, some (again if not all) people who proclaim it to not be fact, see it as such. Every time I find myself talking to someone who doesn't think evolution is a fact, I like to ask "If evolution isn't happening, why isn't penicillin as effective as it used to be? Have you gotten more than 1 flu shot? Where do dogs come from?". Generally this awakens them to the fact they've believed in it most of their life but haven't admitted it, or call you names and have a fit, one of the two.

I was raised southern baptist here in North Carolina. From the time I was born till around 13 I would always go to church and enjoy it. I did the "normal" things a kid would do in a church, I participated in plays, did a lot of arts and crafts, I sang, etc. However I started to question my parents on things like the Easter bunny, Santa and eventually god. I imagine pretty much all kids in my position do this, especially after finding out the great pumpkin is made up. My parents would always try to answer with the Bible and I'd accept it as I didn't have any reason to not believe them or the Bible. Later on in my youth I learned of other religions and started questioning more and more. The Bible, which was suppose to be the holy book had competitors such as the Quran. I later realized how many religions there actually are in the world and that every area seemed to have it's own version of things and this all varied based on what year it was. I realized the religion I had thought to be the truth that was suppose to been what people believed since the beginning of time had only been around since the mid 1800s. Long story short I came to the conclusion that even if one of them were true, it's totally a game of chance picking which one is fact.

Around this time I stopped going to church. I had better things to do like play games, watch movies etc. Between 15-18 I spent a lot of time watching people like "Jesusfreak" and "TheAmazingAtheist" battle back and forth. After years of pressing the matter I stopped watching them all together and considered myself a atheist. I don't hate people who believe in religion, but I do think they're wrong, and I'm sure they think I'm wrong. Could literally go on forever about this topic of why I don't think a god exist, but to sum it up there have been so many supposedly "true gods" what makes anyone think they're right and everyone else is wrong? A book? Generally, either side could point to a book as fact. The way they feel it in their hearts? Again, two sided street.

All this said please, to the religious people reading this, I ask one thing. DO NOT GROUP ME WITH THOSE REDDIT ASSHOLES! As I said, I'm fine with religious people, I even think they should be able to preach it. Hell most atheist who get all offended on the matter do the exact same thing to theist.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Balubish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 pm

I don't belive in religion. If you have had fysics or chemistry in school how can u belive in any religon. Some belive earth is only about 5000 years old. And when science have proved it to be atleast 5 billion years old. "But but but GOD made earth". Yeah I don't belive it. I haven't heard a believer that can answer why we have so much suffering in the world, the answer aint "cause GOD has a plan" Fuck no! It's no plan, its just common fuckin evil around the globe. Get real and don't hide behind "Jesus". Know why, cause if he even existed hes fuckin dead. He won't help shit! And yeah Im baptized. But doesn't mean shit really. Sweden are atleast before a Christian country. And im sorry if somebody feel offended but I would really like having a discussion with one true believer and prove me wrong. Havent happened yet so why should it happen. I see religon as an hobby. I have faith, but not in something that cant be proven. Im really sorry, this topic pisses me off so much.

My tip, believe in urself and not a guy that they said were living 2000 years ago. He wont help you in any way.GOD wont help you. Allah wont fuckin help you. Shiva wont help you. Thor wont help you. And so on...

And yeah i spell bad as a MOFO but I dont bother to use the swedish to english lexicon for this.

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

by cloud » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Balubish wrote:I don't belive in religion. If you have had fysics or chemistry in school how can u belive in any religon. Some belive earth is only about 5000 years old. And when science have proved it to be atleast 5 billion years old. "But but but GOD made earth". Yeah I don't belive it. I haven't heard a believer that can answer why we have so much suffering in the world, the answer aint "cause GOD has a plan" Fuck no! It's no plan, its just common fuckin evil around the globe. Get real and don't hide behind "Jesus". Know why, cause if he even existed hes fuckin dead. He won't help shit! And yeah Im baptized. But doesn't mean shit really. Sweden are atleast before a Christian country. And im sorry if somebody feel offended but I would really like having a discussion with one true believer and prove me wrong. Havent happened yet so why should it happen. I see religon as an hobby. I have faith, but not in something that cant be proven. Im really sorry, this topic pisses me off so much.

My tip, believe in urself and not a guy that they said were living 2000 years ago. He wont help you in any way.GOD wont help you. Allah wont fuckin help you. Shiva wont help you. Thor wont help you. And so on...

And yeah i spell bad as a MOFO but I dont bother to use the swedish to english lexicon for this.

So much anger. Why?
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Holomovement » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:25 pm

fuk u god is gay he doesnt exist
Holomovement

by cloud » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Holomovement wrote:fuk u god is gay he doesnt exist

This is why I've never wondered why a lot of aetheists have a poor reputation. What a likable and open-minded statement.
cloud
Donator

by UncleTestes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:47 am

Balubish wrote:I don't belive in religion. If you have had fysics or chemistry in school how can u belive in any religon. Some belive earth is only about 5000 years old. And when science have proved it to be atleast 5 billion years old. "But but but GOD made earth". Yeah I don't belive it. I haven't heard a believer that can answer why we have so much suffering in the world, the answer aint "cause GOD has a plan" Fuck no! It's no plan, its just common fuckin evil around the globe. Get real and don't hide behind "Jesus". Know why, cause if he even existed hes fuckin dead. He won't help shit! And yeah Im baptized. But doesn't mean shit really. Sweden are atleast before a Christian country. And im sorry if somebody feel offended but I would really like having a discussion with one true believer and prove me wrong. Havent happened yet so why should it happen. I see religon as an hobby. I have faith, but not in something that cant be proven. Im really sorry, this topic pisses me off so much.

Balbuish, while your point is valid and I respect it, it isn't nice to disrespect people's religions like that.
Also I think Thor would help me if I begged him enough.
UncleTestes
Donator

by UncleTestes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:48 am

And credit to Nick for doing the same thing I did to start building up posts.
UncleTestes
Donator

by Balubish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 am

UncleTestes wrote:

Balbuish, while your point is valid and I respect it, it isn't nice to disrespect people's religions like that.
Also I think Thor would help me if I begged him enough.

Im sorry, I do respect other ppl and what they believe in but I can't understand it not at the year 2013 with all science in school etc. Im a science man my self. If I say I bought my PC parts and built it not GOD. A religious man would say yes but GOD made you so you could build ur own thing... I have so hard accepting that. Maybe a bad example but well thats how they talk. And why protect a not proven body of all the suffering going on in the world. It's man made not by GOD! Yes but GOD made man! GOD made the Tsunami cause he needed. GOD made that Volcano errupt and kill 1 billion ppl. Give me proof of GOD and that he exist and we can talk more. Otherwise I can't believe in stuff I can't see or touch. I might see Jesus or something while on Acid.
Last edited by Balubish on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balubish
Donator

by UncleTestes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:25 am

Well, Nick asked what people don't like about creationism and you basically said you don't like anything about it, which is fine. And again, I respect and share your views, but you must respect the religious beliefs of others as they must respect yours.

I guess I'll toss in my opinion since I didn't give much.
Again, I respect Christians and their beliefs until they try to get preachy with me. I haven't believed in God for 4 or 5 years now, as a result of a slow realization that God, according to Earth's science and physics, can't possibly exist. I try very hard not to get into religious arguments (although I will share my beliefs) with people for two reasons: it's pointless, and I don't want to risk changing someone's beliefs. It isn't my job, and if society is eventually going to abandon religion then it needs to happen naturally and not by force, and not by my hand.
UncleTestes
Donator

by Balubish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:25 pm

UncleTestes wrote:Well, Nick asked what people don't like about creationism and you basically said you don't like anything about it, which is fine. And again, I respect and share your views, but you must respect the religious beliefs of others as they must respect yours.

I guess I'll toss in my opinion since I didn't give much.
Again, I respect Christians and their beliefs until they try to get preachy with me. I haven't believed in God for 4 or 5 years now, as a result of a slow realization that God, according to Earth's science and physics, can't possibly exist. I try very hard not to get into religious arguments (although I will share my beliefs) with people for two reasons: it's pointless, and I don't want to risk changing someone's beliefs. It isn't my job, and if society is eventually going to abandon religion then it needs to happen naturally and not by force, and not by my hand.

Im sorry if im ruff in my answers but well. I say what I feel and I like to share it.

Here are some Wiki info about Swedes and Americans.
" In a Eurobarometer Poll in 2010, just 18% of Swedish citizens responded that "they believe there is a god".

" The majority of Americans (73–80%) identify themselves as Christians"

Balubish
Donator

by cloud » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:28 pm

UncleTestes wrote:I haven't believed in God for 4 or 5 years now, as a result of a slow realization that God, according to Earth's science and physics, can't possibly exist.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on that point?
cloud
Donator

by UncleTestes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:43 pm

cloud wrote:Could you please elaborate a bit more on that point?

If you'd like. Again, none of this is remotely meant to disrespect or offend anyone.
I spent a lot of time during middle school and early high school thinking about religion. Over time I discovered or realized a few things: religion was more or less invented so people could go to bed at night knowing there was an explaination for why there there was a giant mofoing glowing sphere in the sky that sank and then jumped back up for some reason. Of course, ancient religion evolved from Greek and Egyptian and whatnot, but I imagine that's how it started out: an excuse.
Hell can't exist. It just can't. There's no way there's a chamber under the surface of Earth where a flaming horny guy stirs his pot while shoplifters burn for eternity.
Heaven is a bit harder to disprove, but I have a hard time believing that there's a gate sitting on a cloud where people who died good people go for eternity. Many believe, after seeing a new picture of a nebula waaaay out there that just so happens to be shaped like Jesus (or really ANY HUMAN), that the nebula is the location of heaven. Of course, that's crap.
Another thing: what makes Christianity anymore true than Islam, or Hindu? The fact that their followers say it does? Correct me if I am wrong, please, but wouldn't that mean anyone who didn't pray to God for forgiveness just because they believe in Allah is damned? The fact that religious afterlives conflict helped lead me to believe they generally don't exist.
I remember hearing a story in the Bible, back when I was sorta Christian, about a woman who stuck to her beliefs in God while everyone else worshipped idols. The idol-huggers made asked her to prove to her that her God existed by praying to him to light a fire, and the idol-huggers would do the same. At first, no one's fires would light, but then her pile glowed, and turned ablaze. Does that sound even remotely possible? I don't personally believe any of it is.

Fun fact (unconfirmed by me): the Bible prohibits eating pig.
UncleTestes
Donator

by GoDM1N » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:22 am

Well that's why it's call "supernatural". As far as heaven and hell when I did believe I always considered those to be outside our universe. While I agree none of that stuff happened, I don't really consider it to be a reason not to believe, as after all, it's all based around a being that created the universe. I'm sure it knows the console command to set a fire or whatever.
GoDM1N
Donator

by UncleTestes » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:31 am

GoDM1N wrote:Well that's why it's call "supernatural". As far as heaven and hell when I did believe I always considered those to be outside our universe. While I agree none of that stuff happened, I don't really consider it to be a reason not to believe, as after all, it's all based around a being that created the universe. I'm sure it knows the console command to set a fire or whatever.

Good point. But what was there before the universe? Was God just there? What's his origin? Truth be known this is also why I have a hard time comprehending the big bang theory. Yeah, there were gases there beforehand. But how did they get there? Trying to comprehend nothingness is interesting but difficult and mind-boggling.

But the way I see it, everything has to have an origin. What's God's?
UncleTestes
Donator

by GoDM1N » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I've wondered that as well but you'd never be able to answer the origin of something that's always existed, so why bother :P
GoDM1N
Donator

by Balubish » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm

GoDM1N wrote:I've wondered that as well but you'd never be able to answer the origin of something that's always existed, so why bother :P

Amen

Balubish
Donator

by cloud » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Well, in the bible, God refers to himself as I Am, which implies that he always existed, and therefore could not have an origin.
Its kind of hard to wrap your mind around it, but I guess you can just say... He Is?
cloud
Donator

by NickTheCanadianCore » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:32 am

IMO, I think everyone about religion was made up in the past in an effort for people to make money, or they wanted an imaginary friend with them, but you don't question them.(kinda like how Santa is, you don't question how he flies, you just sorta believe it).

I took a bit of that line from a bill bye clip about creationism :3
Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

Canada in a nutshell.
ImageImage
NickTheCanadianCore

by GoDM1N » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:12 am

GoDM1N
Donator

by Balubish » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am

cloud wrote:Well, in the bible, God refers to himself as I Am, which implies that he always existed, and therefore could not have an origin.
Its kind of hard to wrap your mind around it, but I guess you can just say... He Is?

You do know the bible is written by humans right? Not God. So he can't implie anything cause he didn't write it. So it might be a writer that is God if so. Otherwise its impossible. Like a writer hes/she have written thier novel. <-- sorry my bad spelling.

Balubish
Donator

by Balubish » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:29 pm

I watched this. And my asking are. Are you guys brainwashed from birth? Braindamaged or just "GOD DAMN CRAZY PPL" WATCH THIS IF YOU ARE A BELIEVER! The people he ask easy questions that believe in god, they can't answer. How come?! They are very religous ppl but when asked an easy question that don't make no sense what so ever they either dissagre to the bible and come up with other answers that the claim are in the bible. One guy says Jesus was fond of Gold and luxuary. But he wasnt. Another claims dinosaurs lived while human did. Is it brainwash or just plain crazy? I see it like propaganda, ppl getting rich on your beliefs paying for their merchandise. God's so called Amendments easiest rule that religous ppl cant answer. You shall not kill. See it in this view then. America is one of the strongest military countries on this frikkin planet, also the country with most religous ppl. Do religion kill or just maniacs? And yes I mean that US fuckin A have killed alot of ppl over the years in wars. So plz explain that one for me if someone can. And If you say "GOD told US military to go fuck up the Japanese, Iraq, Afgahni, Veitnamese ppl" I will buy I fucking plane ticket and fly over there and kick your ass until u make some sense! GOD DAMN! And yeah it might be a bad example but think about Gods amendment "You shall not kill" See my point!?

I make new religeon "Grow some balls" Amendment 1. stop believe in fantasy stuff we got movies and comics for that.

And btw I respect in what ppl believe in but I want answers. And why. And so on. Please explain.

Balubish
Donator

by cloud » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Personally, I believe because it was how I was brought up. You say that the bible is a novel, but history shows that the events written in the Bible actually occurred. Another thing is that Christians, Muslims, and Jews TECHNICALLY pray to the same god, as all of these religions stemmed from a man named Abraham. They all just happened to branch out and have different beliefs. So its true, who is to say one is right and one is wrong, but I'll stand by my choice until the day I die.

And for someone who claims to respect other people's beliefs, Balubish, you seem to be trying awfully hard to disprove them.
cloud
Donator

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Meh, I stopped caring about religion a long time ago. I respect everyone's beliefs, just as long as they're not a dick about it. Though looking at part of this thread (and it's not to disrepect anyone), I can see why we don't normally bring up religion in any of our conversations, on the servers/forums.
Nikki Wolf

by Maringue » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Religion is a response to peoples' inability to deal with their own mortality.

Can't deal with the fact that you're going to die and your conciseness will evaporate into nothingness at that point, invent religion, profit.

That's not a joke, that's what happened in history.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Balubish » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Maringue wrote:Religion is a response to peoples' inability to deal with their own mortality.

Can't deal with the fact that you're going to die and your conciseness will evaporate into nothingness at that point, invent religion, profit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Balubish
Donator

by Beartato » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:14 pm

NickTheCanadianCore wrote:IMO, I think everyone about religion was made up in the past in an effort for people to make money, or they wanted an imaginary friend with them, but you don't question them.(kinda like how Santa is, you don't question how he flies, you just sorta believe it).

I took a bit of that line from a bill bye clip about creationism :3

Ancient religion was invented to make money or imaginary friends? That's just ludicrous. Religions' origins lie in explaining the natural world, whether through observations, philosophy, or supernatural means. The first piece of the Bible (i.e., the Torah) is a pretty solid example: A supernatural creation story, the history of the people, a bunch of ethics and morals, and a bunch of laws. Another great example is the work of the pre-Socratic Greek philosopher Xenophanes, who harshly criticized Homer and Hesiod for their anthropomorphic descriptions of the gods. He felt that the divine were supernatural in pretty much every way: They could not be explained in ways a natural creature (e.g., humans) could comprehend.

cloud wrote:Personally, I believe because it was how I was brought up. You say that the bible is a novel, but history shows that the events written in the Bible actually occurred. Another thing is that Christians, Muslims, and Jews TECHNICALLY pray to the same god, as all of these religions stemmed from a man named Abraham. They all just happened to branch out and have different beliefs. So its true, who is to say one is right and one is wrong, but I'll stand by my choice until the day I die.

And for someone who claims to respect other people's beliefs, Balubish, you seem to be trying awfully hard to disprove them.

Is it the same god if some of them believe in the Holy Trinity and others do not? Is the Jewish god complete to a Catholic, who was raised knowing that their god is "the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit"? After all, the Jews aren't Christians because they don't accept Jesus as the messiah (i.e., "the Son"). Does that mean the Jewish god is only 1/3rd of the Catholic god to a Catholic or is he an entirely different god or is he still the same god (since the Holy Trinity espouses that the three are one)?

And are they the same god when Muslims don't accept the Bible as the word of god, despite the Christian claim that their god wrote the Bible through human authors? Don't they have to be separate gods if one says the Bible is the word of god and the other says the exact same book is not?
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by Dravved » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Maringue wrote:Religion is a response to peoples' inability to deal with their own mortality.

Dravved

by NickTheCanadianCore » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:33 am

Is it possible for your god to lift a boulder that he made, but unable to lift it?

...Then how strong is he???

Canada in a nutshell.
ImageImage
NickTheCanadianCore

by GoDM1N » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:37 am

GoDM1N
Donator

by sociopath » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:22 pm

i just noticed this thread and i applaud it for its lack of ArGuMeNt

anyway

i was raised roman catholic and now im agnostic athiest. however, i follow laveyan satanism. no, that does not mean i worship the devil and sacrifice cute little animals and virgins.

what i do not like about religions is how defensive some people get about it without saying anything about it. or worse, theyre incredibly inaccurate about it. for example, god hates gays. he really doesnt. he loves all his children. thats what hes about. hes just one great ball of love. hes disappointed, maybe. but he doesnt hate them. and by the way my thoughts are going to the westboro baptist church. theyre a huge example of whats wrong with religion. they shove their religion down people's throats and basically invade privacy. i view that as incredibly wrong.

anyway. thats my input. short and simple and thats really all i want to say goodbyyeyeeyeagrfyaegyegayrgea.
honk honk :o)
sociopath
Donator

Return to Intense Debate