Should the age limit to get a driver's license be raised?

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Should the age limit to get a driver's license be raised?

by weapondude5 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Should the age limit be raised from 16 to 18? Discuss below.
weapondude5

Re: Should the age limit to get a driver's license be raised

by fingerman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:39 pm

I say 21.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by CR33D » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 pm

fingerman wrote:I say 21.

I dunno about 21. Kids these days would get their license, then get drunk. Then bad things would happen :| (IMO)
Most of my friends are pretty stupid though.
I deal ¹º² Damage with my favorite gun.
I also spend way to much time on the forum.

HOW THE **** DO I GET IMAGES WORKING?

http://i.imgur.com/3pXBPQs.gif
CR33D

by Knees of Justice » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 pm

It would be rather difficult for teens (like me) to commute to school and work if the age limit was increased to 18. I'm a safe driver! Even though there are plenty of kids my age who make stupid decisions.

Not really sure how to approach this... I can definitely see why someone would want to raise the limit. :?
edit: I think Nikki has the right idea with enforcing more regulations.
Last edited by Knees of Justice on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by Nikki Wolf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Personally, I think it should remain 16, as not everyone that's a teenager is a bad driver. Accidents will always happen, regardless of age. I don't know if other states do this or not, but where I live, people who get their permit or license at 16 can't drive from 9 PM to 5 AM until six months after they have had their license, provided they didn't break any sort of driving laws. I'm not sure what laws exactly, if it's certain ones. I think they can drive after 9 PM if the teen is driving home from school or work, but I'm not sure.

But I think their ability to drive should also be affected how they behave and perform in school, as in they can't drive for a certain period of time if they misbehave or make like a D average. I think that's what my high school did. It's been so long, so I can't really remember.
Nikki Wolf

by Someone Special » Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 am

Reviving the thread, I agree with Fingerman to an extreme. With so many unsafe drivers around nowadays, we need a better age base for drivers. So, I'm for the age limit being set to 18 or above.
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Harri » Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 am

Actually, age has nothing to do with driving skill (to a large extent). Rather than increase the age-limit, I suggest providing extensive and required driving classes in all high schools. In the US, we currently do not require driving education classes. We actually ask our young people to drive around an incredibly dangerous piece of metal and plastic without extensive training.

Also, Ageism is no bueno.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Someone Special » Mon May 06, 2013 12:49 am

Harri wrote:Actually, age has nothing to do with driving skill (to a large extent). Rather than increase the age-limit, I suggest providing extensive and required driving classes in all high schools. In the US, we currently do not require driving education classes. We actually ask our young people to drive around an incredibly dangerous piece of metal and plastic without extensive training.

Touche.
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Rologton » Mon May 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Eh. I think the driving test should be more extensive and comprehensive, and in particular should require driving through busier areas and on the highway. Perhaps even more than one test to really see how people do. Would that increase the likelihood of idiots getting in crashes during their tests? It's a possibility, but I never understood why the driving test didn't require the more difficult parts of being on the road.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by Beartato » Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 am

Harri wrote:Actually, age has nothing to do with driving skill (to a large extent). Rather than increase the age-limit, I suggest providing extensive and required driving classes in all high schools. In the US, we currently do not require driving education classes. We actually ask our young people to drive around an incredibly dangerous piece of metal and plastic without extensive training.

Good luck getting driving classes into public schools, which already need all the time they can get to teach for standardized tests, which is another discussion for another thread.

That said, extensive training is expensive training. If it's going to be required, it absolutely needs to be made inexpensive, if not a free public resource.

Actually, I'm going to talk about standardized tests again. The driving exam is supposed to prevent ill-prepared drivers from getting a license but it must be failing if you are suggesting what you are suggesting.

So how do you make sure students drive within the law all the time instead of just when they are taking their road exam? How do you get them to both learn and retain all the rules of the road rather than just cram and forget for the written exam? Are either of these things even possible to prevent in any way through the licensing process and requirements?

But I definitely agree the age issue is a red herring.
I got tired of looking at Drawed's face.
Beartato

by CR33D » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Honestly, I don't feel as if the age is a major problem. Its's more of a lack of experience, if anything.
I deal ¹º² Damage with my favorite gun.
I also spend way to much time on the forum.

HOW THE **** DO I GET IMAGES WORKING?

http://i.imgur.com/3pXBPQs.gif
CR33D

by xalde » Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Age is fine, but maybe more strict rules. For instance, no seatbelt = liscence suspension for a few months. Using cellphone while driving = suspension for months. Multiple infractions increase the penalty up to suspension until 18 (when they're legally an adult). This may go a bit too far too but a special liscence plate or magnetic attatchment for young drivers, much like how here people have to have a liscence plate beginning with W if they've had too many DWIs ( them be whiskey plates).

Just some random not-too-serious ideas.

As for drivers Ed I wouldn't mind seeing that expanded. Here we had to pay for it ourselves and it was an after school thing held at the school, and included 6 behind the wheel sessions. Before we could take the driving test we also had to have something like 100 hours of driving experience with a parent or other older liscenced rider. That's what the driving permit is for.

Course we could be the exception and not the rule.
xalde
Donator

by GoDM1N » Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Oh god, all the drunk first time drivers. The horror....

Also, how the hell do the people who actually agree with a 21 year old driving limit expect people to fucking get to work? Not everywhere has good or even any public transport. Raising the limit also won't make people any better at driving because people aren't allowed to grow up. If you want safer drivers, have better driving schools/test like in Finland. Imo if you can reach the pedals, and pass the driving test, you can drive, no matter the age. In some parts of the US you can drive as young as 14-15. And in the Florida Keys, I believe the driving test is nothing but driving down a street and back.

CR33D wrote:Honestly, I don't feel as if the age is a major problem. Its's more of a lack of experience, if anything.

This
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

Return to Intense Debate