Red Cross says blood supply at lowest level in 15 years

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Red Cross says blood supply at lowest level in 15 years

by Touchy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Touchy

Re: Red Cross says blood supply at lowest level in 15 years

by FlamingOwlOfDeath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 pm

This is really important. Please, if you have any time to spare, go to a blood drive or donor center. They really are in desperate need of blood right now.
FlamingOwlOfDeath

by GoDM1N » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm

If I donate blood do I get a reserved slot and colored text?
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by fingerman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 pm

GoDM1N wrote:If I donate blood do I get a reserved slot and colored text?

Godm1n this is a serious discussion, meaning life and death to some people.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Guy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:08 pm

I would donate, but my blood is considered high risk. Just for being a gay male. :|

They turn me down even though I am healthy and don't have any infectious diseases or STDs.

That and I haven't had sex in about 3 years.... someone shoot me, please.
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Prof_Schwartz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I've donated blood a few times. I'm O Positive which is common, so yea. Idk.
Prof_Schwartz

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Eh, I could never donate blood when I was in high school, since I almost fainted the first time I tried, and I really did the second time, which was an actual attempt. I just gave up with trying there, and even thinking about it kinda makes me feel like I will faint again -w- (not like they probably would take my blood anyways, since, from what Guy said, it seems like they don't want gay donators :/)
Nikki Wolf

by Rologton » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:56 pm

I have done it before. I usually do it through my college, but it can be tough at times. My school has a nasty habbit of scheduling donation days right before a PT test.

It is always cool, though, to see all of the kids walking around with the tape on their arms during the donation days. There are about 4 a year and the turnout at my school is always great.
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

by MrElTacoTeh3rd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Donate blood? Hell no, too scared.
.: - | MrElTacoTeh3rd| - :.
Don't give up just try a little less.
MrElTacoTeh3rd

by Smeemo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 pm

No need to be scurred! I feel a little light-headed for a couple of hours after being drained of a pint, but that's it. It's on par with the feeling of having a glass of strong beer, and then I'm fine. A small number of people pass out afterwards, but hey, free nap in the care of medical professionals. :D Or if you have a needle phobia, that's something different, but what better way to face your fear than to do so to maybe save a life with no chance to end your own?
Smeemo

by GoDM1N » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 pm

MrElTacoTeh3rd wrote:Donate blood? Hell no, too scared.

I never got why people are scared of this kind of stuff. Personally I'd take a needle before they gagged me.
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Enigma » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Always wanted to give blood, but unfortunately I can't. At least I know a few good members of this community are stepping up!
Enigma

by Patrid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 am

Last time I went to the doctor for a bloodtest (and EKG), turns out I have an abnormally high concentration of red blood cells in my blood.
Pretty sure this is a good thing, but just in case:

Failhorse:Exploits are okay as long are you're an admin
ImageImage
Patrid

by Maringue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I donate blood sometimes, but I have A positive, so they are fairly meh about wanting my blood since they can't give it to too many people. My mom is O neg, so they always pester her for her blood.

Also, on the side of awesome, when you donate blood you can get drunk sooooo much easier. Saves a lot of money for people with stupid high tolerances like me.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by Touchy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:06 pm

I love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I also learned something terrible, if you are gay you can not donate blood? That is crazy and needs to be changed. Lets see is we can get the word out about this blood shortage. Thanks
Touchy

by Maringue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Touchy wrote:I love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I also learned something terrible, if you are gay you can not donate blood? That is crazy and needs to be changed. Lets see is we can get the word out about this blood shortage. Thanks

If you are a gay male you are classified as "high risk" for blood bore pathogens. It is bullshit. It's a hold over from the 80s when AIDS broke out when it was an actual problem.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) used to be called GRID. GRID stands for Gay Related Immune Deficiency. The CDC wised up after finding numerous straight people who had gotten AIDS and changed the name so that straight people wouldn't assume they were immune to it.

Oh, and just as an FYI, don't have unprotected sex with anyone in DC, we've got the highest AIDS rate in the country, or at least close to the top.
Maringue
Blue Admin

by xalde » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Touchy wrote:I love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I also learned something terrible, if you are gay you can not donate blood? That is crazy and needs to be changed. Lets see is we can get the word out about this blood shortage. Thanks

Well we could if we lie on the questionnaire. I have, not like I date or have sex anyway -.-

Anyway after a bit of research I found this. Don't hate the Red Cross, hate the FDA:

Donor Deferral for Men Who Have Had Sex With Men (MSM)

The top priorities of the American Red Cross are the safety of our volunteer blood donors and the ultimate recipients of blood. On June 11, 2010, the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary's Advisory Committee on Blood Safety and Availability voted against recommending a change to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) policy of a lifetime deferral for men who have sex with other men. The FDA is responsible for determining donor eligibility requirements and the Red Cross is required to follow their decisions. However, the Red Cross does support the use of rational, scientifically-based deferral periods that are applied fairly and consistently among donors who engage in similar risk activities. We will continue to work through the AABB (American Association of Blood Banks) to press for donor deferral policies that are fair and consistent and based on scientific evidence, while still protecting patients from potential harm.

Source: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-b ... #lifestyle
xalde
Donator

by Touchy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 pm

So I gave blood yesterday. I had to answer a questionnaire beforehand. One of the questions asked if you ever had sex with a male. I put no. Next question.. not even once? Wat?
Touchy

by GoldfishRT » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:08 pm

I'd love to donate but my body doesn't seem capable of it. I've been having blood drawn lately for other reasons and after one small sample I black out. What should have been a one time visit has taken 4 (they need 4 samples).

Of course I come back almost instantly, but not without vomiting all over then feeling quite sick for a few hours.
Need mo poniez

GoldfishRT
Donator

by gewf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 pm

http://www.redcross.org.sg/wp-content/u ... final2.pdf
for underage donors, such as myself.
I had a blood transfusion when I was a few months old that saved my life, this stuff's important, guys.
gewf
Donator

by Knees of Justice » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:52 pm

I would donate.

But I have a huge phobia of blood. Seriously, I feel like I'm going to faint when I see that stuff, even in moderate amounts (I have once, actually).
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by megamoose » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm 5'4", 100 pounds, 16 (17 soon!) who needs atleast 1/2 a pint of blood taken from me for growth reasons. I never faint, but feel woozy for ~10 seconds. I give myself needles everyday, so I don't understand why some people are afraid by a 1/3 mm think needle. If I could, I would probably, even though I have type AB blood.
megamoose
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am

I actually want to donate as well, but I don't know if I can. My grandmother is British and for a good while she and my mom lived in Britain during the Mad Cow scare. Consequently, my mom can't donate blood. However, I'm not sure if that means I can't donate. Plus, the military keeps changing the rules regarding blood donations. Used to be that so long as you were 16 and had clean blood, you were clear. Now, I don't even know. I'll look into it. I want that cookie. Also, some soldier could use that blood. There's that too.
VoltySquirrel

Return to Intense Debate