Good on BioWare.

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Good on BioWare.

by Rologton » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:04 pm

http://www.nomorelost.org/2011/03/25/st ... y-bioware/

And with this, BioWare solidifies its position next to VALVe and Bethesda as one of my favorite developers. Not only is it great that they put such controversial options in their game to begin with, but to stand by it like they did with that letter has really impressed me.

But this, of course, brings up the question: Just how much do we know about video game's demographics? How true is it that most of the players are straight males? Ok, granted, the majority of us are, but in all honesty, I havn't seen a study in a long time that really lays out this current generation's demographic of gamers. There's obviously ladys that frequent this very website, let alone who game in general, and with all the CSn supporters there's got to be someone who is gay or lesbian.

And, of course, just how true is what the guy said at the end of the post? Would there be more LGBT gamers if more games had the same options that Dragon Age has? That's something I personally wonder about, really. Thoughts?
I play Scout and Medic a lot.

ImageImage

CRITS MAKE ME SKILLED.
#PCgamingmasterrace
Rologton

Re: Good on BioWare.

by Wakka » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:15 pm

this is awesome

as far as demographics, it seems to me like the rules on CSn have made it more welcoming to LGBT gamers. i know it's part of the reason i've stuck around, and i'm pretty sure there are others. maybe the reason you tend not to see many gay/lesbian gamers is the prevalence of homophobic language in online gaming... i know it annoys me.
Wakka

by Spyder » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 pm

People who get offended at video games like Dragon Age, merely for the romance/relationship content, should promptly off themselves.
Image Image
Spyder

by BoB Dolen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Rologton wrote:http://www.nomorelost.org/2011/03/25/straight-male-gamer-told-to-get-over-it-by-bioware/

And with this, BioWare solidifies its position next to VALVe and Bethesda as one of my favorite developers. Not only is it great that they put such controversial options in their game to begin with, but to stand by it like they did with that letter has really impressed me.

But this, of course, brings up the question: Just how much do we know about video game's demographics? How true is it that most of the players are straight males? Ok, granted, the majority of us are, but in all honesty, I havn't seen a study in a long time that really lays out this current generation's demographic of gamers. There's obviously ladys that frequent this very website, let alone who game in general, and with all the CSn supporters there's got to be someone who is gay or lesbian.

And, of course, just how true is what the guy said at the end of the post? Would there be more LGBT gamers if more games had the same options that Dragon Age has? That's something I personally wonder about, really. Thoughts?

I like Bioware's stance a lot.....just still wish they were tied to EA still.

I'd put them close to Valve also on my scale but Beth is much farther down my list lol.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by Nikki Wolf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:36 pm

As a gay gamer, I do think gaming is for everyone. I really do appreciate CSn for being the most welcoming community I have came across. (not counting furry communities)

That said, I think people make too big of a deal out of a lot of stuff. Okay, you have an option to have a homosexual relationship in Dragon Age and Skyrim. Nothing wrong with that. Don't like it? Just go down the straight route of the game and shut up about it. I'll enjoy the games how I want to, and so will everyone else.
Nikki Wolf

Return to Intense Debate