Texas judge beats daughter with belt *WARNING: GRAPHIC*

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Texas judge beats daughter with belt *WARNING: GRAPHIC*

by HibiscusKazeneko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:56 pm

This video shows Aransas County judge William Adams beating his then-16-year-old daughter Hillary for using an unnamed program to download games and music off the Internet. The video was posted to Reddit about a week ago and went viral, leading to a flood of criminal complaints and a subsequent investigation. However, due to the state statute of limitations, Adams cannot face charges.
I must add that (the Honorable my ass) Judge Adams handles child abuse cases in his line of work, and his daughter has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth (which I strongly suspect he caused). He apparently also abused and manipulated his wife (who can be seen exhibiting some classic signs in the video), leading to their eventual divorce in 2007. I must also add that some of the lines used in the video are parroted from Roy Lessin's 1979 book Spanking: When, Why and How.

My question to you is this: Would you ever do this to your own children? I hear a lot of comments these days from purported social conservatives saying that if more children were treated like this from birth, we wouldn't have the problems of disrespectful youth, crime, etc. Thoughts?
HibiscusKazeneko

Re: Texas judge beats daughter with belt *WARNING: GRAPHIC*

by Ackybur » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:27 pm

I wouldn't beat my child with a belt no. I might spank, but nothing extreme. I don't have a kid so I can't even say if I would do a spanking... I find that sticking them in their room to fume for a while is better than any other options out there.

Edit: Just watched the video... I feel absolutely sick.
Also, who did the video? Did she leave it on as proof or what's up with that?
Ackybur
Donator

by HibiscusKazeneko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Ackybur wrote:I wouldn't beat my child with a belt no. I might spank, but nothing extreme. I don't have a kid so I can't even say if I would do a spanking... I find that sticking them in their room to fume for a while is better than any other options out there.

Edit: Just watched the video... I feel absolutely sick.
Also, who did the video? Did she leave it on as proof or what's up with that?

Hillary Adams (the daughter) placed a hidden camera in her room to capture the abuse. She only recently released the tape to the public, as retaliation for even more harassment (her college grades weren't what her father wanted, so he threatened to cut her off financially and strip her of all her belongings).
HibiscusKazeneko

by Prof_Schwartz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I couldn't even watch the whole thing. This is disgusting I would and could NEVER and i mean NEVER hurt my own child let alone anyone else unless it is VERY well deserved. So who gives a shit, you know how many people download shit illegally or whatever? This is ABSOLUTELY no fucking excuse to take your child and beat the shit out of her with a leather belt. And on top of all of it, he's a fucking judge. A JUDGE. Usually judges sentence people for shit like this. People like him make me sick. The worst I would do to my child is scold them and tell them to go to their room, or punch a pillow or SOMETHING, but definitely not beat them to tears with ANYTHING. This sickens me. NOT acceptable in any way possible.
Prof_Schwartz

by Harri » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:06 pm

First- I was beat far worse than this by my father and mother. I think this is too far, but I wasn't shocked to see this. My sister actually was hit so hard by a willow tree branch that she has scars. My Dad broke my arm when I was 8, he was too rough and yanked me around. It was an accident. I'm not saying these things for sympathy. I love my Dad. I know how to work and I respect people. I wasn't raised to be a little bitch, like most American children are (Sorry for the generalization)

I will say this - when I got a beating it was generally for better reasons than downloading shit from the internet. Though- I would punish my child for that (if it were illegal). I'd take a paddle to their ass.

Edit- My biggest thing with the Dad is that he is obviously mentally not right, and probably will never repent for that.
Edit- She's 16 too. I wouldn't hit my own kid past 12. There are far better punishments for that.
Harri
Blue Admin

by Spyder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Corporal punishment is not that necessary.

Parents have (for the most part) control of their child's lives. They control what they "own", what they eat, when they eat, where they go and what they do. Not to mention that they usually have far advanced cognitive thinking.

But, not only does corporal punishment teach their children to avoid not getting caught out of the sake of getting their ass hurt, it also teaches them that they can get what they want out of physical harm.

Studies have shown that children who are physically punished tend to be delinquent, violent in schools, and violent in crime later on in their lives.

"For some children, the lessons learned through spanking include the idea that they only need to be good if Mommy or Daddy is watching or will know about it." - Straus & Donnelly, 1994

"These findings...support the conclusion that spanking during toddler-hood can have negative consequences for toddlers' cognitive as well as socio-emotional functioning." -Berlin et al. (2009)

It has also been shown that, parents who use corporal punishment on their children when they are older tend to be physically abusive. Parents can become frustrated and increase the physical harm they give.

I never got spanked as a child. However, I watched as one of my older brothers got spanked on different occasions. My brother would throw violent tantrums whenever things didn't go his way or if he was pissed off, and this continued until he was about 18 (though, thankfully, not frequently).
_____

Anyway, I think that the Dad is a fucking asshole and should DIAF. He deserves all the scorn he is receiving, and I find it hilarious that he had to run from town with a briefcase and a car trunk full of rifles. He can beat his daughter with no problem, but when someone else comes along, OH SHIT!

I don't like the Mom that much either.
Image Image
Spyder

by Ackybur » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Spyder wrote:
I don't like the Mom that much either.

I feel bad for the mom more than anything. It seemed like she was trying to get her husband off her kid and give the punishment which was a lot less forceful. I think it was wrong that she didn't try to stop it, but she tried (in her own way) to help her kid. I think Hib is right when she says the wife is beat just as much... It's probably why she didn't stop him. I don't know how to explain it. I feel bad for the mom and hate the dad.
Ackybur
Donator

by BoB Dolen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 am

Mr. Judge went way to far.

Spanking I think is fine when controlled, if you have issues controlling it then there are some bigger issues at hand.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by Prof_Schwartz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 am

WOW you people are old school. I don't understand why you guys are pretty much okay with what that judge did. Maybe it's cause that's how I was raised, but I would never harm my kid
Prof_Schwartz

by Wakka » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:20 am

Prof_Schwartz wrote:I don't understand why you guys are pretty much okay with what that judge did.

BoB Dolen wrote:Mr. Judge went way to far.
Ackybur wrote: I feel bad for the mom and hate the dad.
Spyder wrote:Anyway, I think that the Dad is a fucking asshole and should DIAF.
Harri wrote:I think this is too far...
I will say this - when I got a beating it was generally for better reasons than downloading shit from the internet...
She's 16 too. I wouldn't hit my own kid past 12.

i'm confused
Wakka

by HibiscusKazeneko » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 am

Prof_Schwartz wrote:WOW you people are old school. I don't understand why you guys are pretty much okay with what that judge did. Maybe it's cause that's how I was raised, but I would never harm my kid

Easy now, Schwartz. Ad hominem attacks are not permitted on this forum.

But yeah, you do bring up a good point. Not surprisingly, many people still condone physically assaulting a child as a form of punishment, especially here in the South. There are even individuals (such as Michael and Debi Pearl of No Greater Joy Ministries) who condone training children as though they were mules.
HibiscusKazeneko

by Prof_Schwartz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:30 pm

I wasn't attacking anyone. I saw everyone's replies and they DID pretty much say "ok the dad's a fuckin asshole and i feel bad for the daughter, but i would still spank my child, etc" that's why i posted said reply.
Prof_Schwartz

by Ackybur » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Prof_Schwartz wrote:I wasn't attacking anyone. I saw everyone's replies and they DID pretty much say "ok the dad's a fuckin asshole and i feel bad for the daughter, but i would still spank my child, etc" that's why i posted said reply.

Spanking is completely different than this. A spank, a quick slap on the bottom to show the child "This hurts" and to show what they did is wrong. Later on, you can use it as a threat. I see it as something you can say after you count to 3 with them. My roommates kid has never been spanked since I have lived here (3 years), but she'll use it often as a threat. The kid then does what she was told and all is well in the house hold. No hit, no lasting fear of the threat. That's why I said I would use it.

Now, what the judge is doing is straight asssault. That's not a spank, there is no lesson being learned and there was hate in every strike.
Ackybur
Donator

by mrpikmin2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Harri wrote:First- I was beat far worse than this by my father and mother. I think this is too far, but I wasn't shocked to see this. My sister actually was hit so hard by a willow tree branch that she has scars. My Dad broke my arm when I was 8, he was too rough and yanked me around. It was an accident. I'm not saying these things for sympathy. I love my Dad. I know how to work and I respect people. I wasn't raised to be a little bitch, like most American children are (Sorry for the generalization)

I will say this - when I got a beating it was generally for better reasons than downloading shit from the internet. Though- I would punish my child for that (if it were illegal). I'd take a paddle to their ass.

Edit- My biggest thing with the Dad is that he is obviously mentally not right, and probably will never repent for that.
Edit- She's 16 too. I wouldn't hit my own kid past 12. There are far better punishments for that.

:/
mrpikmin2

by Harri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:40 pm

I would like to note (after two private messages) that my mother told my sister to go find a stick in the yard so she could spank her.

My sister thought- "Hey if the stick is smaller maybe it won't hurt." We had a willow tree. You can see where this went.
Harri
Blue Admin

by HibiscusKazeneko » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Harri wrote:I would like to note (after two private messages) that my mother told my sister to go find a stick in the yard so she could spank her.

My sister thought- "Hey if the stick is smaller maybe it won't hurt." We had a willow tree. You can see where this went.

I have a family friend (with whom I have been trying to break off contact for years now) who did the same thing to her kids.
There's a famous quote by Astrid Lindgren about this subject that you all ought to read; I'll see if I can find it.
HibiscusKazeneko

by cloud » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:27 pm

This judge is a total (insert word here). I know he can't face charges, but on what grounds did he make his defense for beating his child? It was a fair and just punishment? I belive that parents shouldn't lay a hand on their children except on very rare occasions where the child has done something tremendously wrong. Thats what my parents did for me and I turned out (mostly) okay.
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Angus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Human beings are shit...
Angus

Return to Intense Debate