Michigan passes pro-bullying bill

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Michigan passes pro-bullying bill

by HibiscusKazeneko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:44 am

I just got word of this on Tumblr:

The Michigan state legislature just passed a bill granting impunity to bullies who claim moral justifications as their reason for bullying others.
I feel that this bill, which started out as a blanket anti-bullying bill before Republicans gutted it and inserted the new exemption, is a slap in the face to all the children, teens and adults who have suffered permanent psychological harm or committed suicide because of long-term bullying and abuse. Anyone else have opinions on this?
HibiscusKazeneko

Re: Michigan passes pro-bullying bill

by Spyder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 pm

The bill is, no-doubt, a travesty on human welfare.

However, in my opinion, I think that it won't get much mileage in the end.
Image Image
Spyder

by Guy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Sick bastards.
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by duck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:32 pm

this is ridiculous, i wonder what they are trying to make better by this. if someone is being an asshole to someone else, they should be punished, if i punched hibiscus in the face and said it was because that she had a cooler computer than i did or something i should be charged with assult and not acquitted for having a reason for doing so. this is stupid, a kid here in town commited suicide over the summer because they were bullying him for being gay, should the bullys be charged with second degree (or third degree i dont know which) murder? i think yes
duck

by Maringue » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Hitler had a moral justification for bullying Jews. Just sayin'.

Also, if I were a parent in Michigan I would have any kid who bullied my child (with a witness) arrested for assault. Most people do not know what the crime of assault actually means, but it's basically any threat of violence (does not require any physical contact) that you consider credible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault#United_States
Maringue
Blue Admin

by HibiscusKazeneko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 pm

There's another side to this that even Senator Whitmer failed to mention:
Traditionally, bullying has been viewed as a positive activity, that it "toughens kids up" and prepares them to deal with real-life disappointment, or that it helps them conform to social norms. Just look at this video from 1954:

Notice how the narrator repeatedly bullies Barbara and belittles her, then Barbara magically changes her ways. This is the (now widely known to be unrealistic) expectation many conservatives hold and that the Michigan Republicans parroted.

What's even more insulting about this new law is that it was originally written in memory of a boy who committed suicide due to bullying. Remember back to the case of Matthew Shepard: he was bullied to death for being gay. If this law had been in effect when Shepard was murdered, his killers would have gotten off scot-free.
HibiscusKazeneko

by duck » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:27 pm

There was another thing here in juneau, we have a ski area called eaglecrest here and some kids were chasing another kid in their cars, they were attempting to iniciate (i have no clue how to spell that) him into highschool, the kid ended up crashing his car and dying. are the bullys to blame, or is it just that they wanted to toughen him up for highschool
duck

by Spyder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 pm

duck wrote:this is ridiculous, i wonder what they are trying to make better by this. if someone is being an asshole to someone else, they should be punished, if i punched hibiscus in the face and said it was because that she had a cooler computer than i did or something i should be charged with assult and not acquitted for having a reason for doing so. this is stupid, a kid here in town commited suicide over the summer because they were bullying him for being gay, should the bullys be charged with second degree (or third degree i dont know which) murder? i think yes

Probably fueled by the fundamentalist Christians who wish that the Old Testament was the outline for American Law.

You know, disregard the fact that Jesus told us to love our enemies and love those who despise us.
Image Image
Spyder

by Spyder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 pm

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:There's another side to this that even Senator Whitmer failed to mention:
Traditionally, bullying has been viewed as a positive activity, that it "toughens kids up" and prepares them to deal with real-life disappointment, or that it helps them conform to social norms. Just look at this video from 1954:

Notice how the narrator repeatedly bullies Barbara and belittles her, then Barbara magically changes her ways. This is the (now widely known to be unrealistic) expectation many conservatives hold and that the Michigan Republicans parroted.

What's even more insulting about this new law is that it was originally written in memory of a boy who committed suicide due to bullying. Remember back to the case of Matthew Shepard: he was bullied to death for being gay. If this law had been in effect when Shepard was murdered, his killers would have gotten off scot-free.

Good ol' 50's. Choc-full of annoying, white, socialite snobs.

Now they're the baby-boomers: a fucking annoying breed who thinks that they saved the world countless times.
Image Image
Spyder

by Ackybur » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Detroit represent. Gotta get our switch blades ready.
Ackybur
Donator

by HibiscusKazeneko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Ackybur wrote:Detroit represent. Gotta get our switch blades ready.

I thought you lived in Utah.
HibiscusKazeneko

by Wakka » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:48 pm

this is disgusting
Wakka

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm

HibiscusKazeneko

by cloud » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:23 am

I couldn't agree more that bullying is never justified, no matter what the reason could be. When i was in middle school, i was bullied for being short. People thought that just because I was small, they had the ability to pick on me however they pleased. The one time I tried to stick up for myself, the group that was tormenting me litterally almost killed me. I landed in the hospital for two weeks in critical condition, and I'll never forget it. Bullying has always been trouble for me and I think that all bullies deserve to burn in hell. This bill is absolute bullshit (pardon my french) and there is absolutely no excuse for it to have been passed in the first place
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by Vetos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:35 am

Between this, Topeka's city council decriminalizing spousal abuse, classifying pizza as a serving of vegetables, and establishing a military base in Australia, I think our nation as a whole has gone criminally insane. I feel terrible for Shepard, knowing his name is attached to a bill like that. Poor kid's probably rolling in his grave. And will anybody who has the power to change it give a shit? Nope.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
Vetos

by Rustic Apple » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Vetos wrote:classifying pizza as a serving of vegetables

Excuse me for partially hijacking the thread, but I lost my shit when I heard about this. Not only is it incorrect, but don't our government peoples have better shit to do than argue over fucking school lunches? Y'know, like... doing something about the economy?

Vetos wrote:Amazing. Simply amazing.
Rustic Apple
Donator

by cloud » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:14 pm

@apple cider. Do you live in michigan? If so, do you live in the detroit area? It isn't really as bad as you think it would be, but that doesn't mean that the members of our government aren't just lazy asses who do nothing but exploit the people for their own wants *cough* kilpatrick *cough*. Declaring pizza a vegetable isn't as far out as you would think it is
CSn's professional thread killer.
cloud
Donator
Hey look. It's that one guy.

by mrpikmin2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Rustic Apple wrote:

Excuse me for partially hijacking the thread, but I lost my shit when I heard about this. Not only is it incorrect, but don't our government peoples have better shit to do than argue over fucking school lunches? Y'know, like... doing something about the economy?

rustic reforming public school lunches is a huge issue, the bill was passed to do so, however lobbiests got ahold of it and added that.
mrpikmin2

by Techercizer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:31 pm

mrpikmin2 wrote:
Rustic Apple wrote:

rustic reforming public school lunches is a huge issue, the bill was passed to do so, however lobbiests got ahold of it and added that.

I'd like to clarify something: Lobbyists did not get a hold of the bill and add this clause; elected officials were influenced into adding that by funding pressure from interest groups (namely lobbyists). The first sentence makes it seem like the lobbyists are the ones responsible for this change; it's their job to suggest crazy ideas like this, and the government's job to turn them down.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

Return to Intense Debate