Very serious shit in Oakland

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

Very serious shit in Oakland

by Failhorse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 pm

The main stream media reported yesterday night that cops dispersed protesters. Among things using 1 can of tear gas.
Reports, including this video say otherwise.
Not only that but an Iraq vet was hit in the skull with a rubber bullet. Now in critical condition.

OK so now this video. Shows a protester on the ground injured. And one of the cops firing a flashbang right into everyone.

how crazy do you think this is going to get?
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Very serious shit in Oakland

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Kent State 2.0?
HibiscusKazeneko

by Ackybur » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Many will disagree with this... but I'm more with the police on this one. I don't think anyone would want a large gathering of angry people from Oakland ANYWHERE. Granted, they did go overboard, but Oakland isn't running for "Nicest city in the country" right now.
Ackybur
Donator

by Techercizer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Ackybur wrote:Many will disagree with this... but I'm more with the police on this one. I don't think anyone would want a large gathering of angry people from Oakland ANYWHERE. Granted, they did go overboard, but Oakland isn't running for "Nicest city in the country" right now.

Because Washington and New York are just known for having large friendly crowds of roving people who destroy public property and shit on police cars, right?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Axtinguisher; Phlogistinator
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
I don't expect you to, but I appreciate those of you that do.
Techercizer

by Ackybur » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Techercizer wrote:
Ackybur wrote:Many will disagree with this... but I'm more with the police on this one. I don't think anyone would want a large gathering of angry people from Oakland ANYWHERE. Granted, they did go overboard, but Oakland isn't running for "Nicest city in the country" right now.

Because Washington and New York are just known for having large friendly crowds of roving people who destroy public property and shit on police cars, right?

I think it's all a bad idea. A good friend of mine from New York who wen to the protest was mugged by knife point in their camp... he wasn't the only one. He had 3 other friends that it happened to. I'm against it for safety reasons, mainly because it has none.
Ackybur
Donator

by Techercizer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Ackybur wrote:
Techercizer wrote:

I think it's all a bad idea. A good friend of mine from New York who wen to the protest was mugged by knife point in their camp... he wasn't the only one. He had 3 other friends that it happened to. I'm against it for safety reasons, mainly because it has none.

So you're pro-safety, but also in favor of shooting at vocally peaceful groups of people without a clear cause or warrant for escalation of violence. Seems contradictory.
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Failhorse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:13 pm

OK no flame wars.
When the police riot as they did here, it breaks the social contract. They are charged with keeping the peace. The are given a weapon and tools to stop illegal activity. They are also trained to not "break" as easy as regular people. The broke the social contract. If the police riot as they did here. What do we have?
Failhorse
Red Admin

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Failhorse wrote:OK no flame wars.
When the police riot as they did here, it breaks the social contract. They are charged with keeping the peace. The are given a weapon and tools to stop illegal activity. They are also trained to not "break" as easy as regular people. The broke the social contract. If the police riot as they did here. What do we have?

Tiananmen Square. That's what.
HibiscusKazeneko

by stanley » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 pm

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Failhorse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 pm

What? No. Nixon. Big difference.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

stanley the manley wrote:
HibiscusKazeneko wrote:

I wasn't kidding.
I actually anticipate full military force being used against these protestors in the near future.
HibiscusKazeneko

by mrpikmin2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Seriously, cut down on the hostility.
mrpikmin2

by WHAMbulance » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am

HibiscusKazeneko wrote:I wasn't kidding.
I actually anticipate full military force being used against these protestors in the near future.

Nope. Police opposition has been fairly mellow when considering the entire spread of the Occupy movement. Pulling martial law on peaceful occupation would have worldwide ramifications that wouldn't leave the government in to kind a position.

Also. Cops dun gone and thrown tear gas at the wrong veteran.

"Late last night, Scott Olsen, a former Marine, two-time Iraq war veteran, and member of Iraq Veterans Against the War, sustained a skull fracture after being shot in the head with a police projectile while peacefully participating in an Occupy Oakland march. He remains unconscious in critical condition at Oakland's Highland Hospital.

Olsen was hit at close range. After demonstrators rush to Olsen's aid, an Oakland cop waits a few beats before lobbing a second tear-gas canister at the crowd. They are attending to Olsen when the canister explodes, sending smoke everywhere. "

From the occupy wall st. site.

*more info: http://www.ivaw.org/blog/press-release-marine-veteran-critically-injured-occupy-oakland-march
Bacon is delicious.
Don't squeeze me, I'll fart
WHAMbulance

by Techercizer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

mrpikmin2 wrote:

Seriously, cut down on the hostility.

What hostility?
I refuse to use
    Soda Popper
    Liberty Launcher
    Stickybomb Launcher
    Tomislav
    Pomson 6000
    Quick Fix
    Bushwacka; Machina
    Enforcer; Spycicle

on CSn servers.
Techercizer

by Rustic Apple » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:41 am

When are people going to realize that this whole "Occupy" bullshit isn't going to accomplish anything worthwhile and/or long lasting? Seriously. Go do something productive.

On a less serious note, I would love to head up to New York dressed as the Soldier and go dominate some hippies and tell them to get jobs.
Rustic Apple
Donator

by stanley » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Rustic Apple wrote: tell them to get jobs.

i dont think you realize the problem

stanley

by HibiscusKazeneko » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:08 pm

WHAMbulance wrote:
HibiscusKazeneko wrote:I wasn't kidding.

Nope. Police opposition has been fairly mellow when considering the entire spread of the Occupy movement. Pulling martial law on peaceful occupation would have worldwide ramifications that wouldn't leave the government in to kind a position.

It wouldn't, but we know it's happened before. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some people were murdered in a city like Los Angeles or New Orleans where we already know the police are corrupt.
HibiscusKazeneko

by Repoman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 am

People have the right to protest, but you still need to obey basic law.
You need permits to protest as well.
Knowing that many of the protests are from younger generations per say, it only makes sense that when told to leave or not to do this and that by the police, they are of course going to disobey being that its part of their nature as younger adults.
Also Im on board with the idea that the protests are accomplishing absolutely nothing, and that both sides have too many contradictions to warrant any good argument.
Sure big business is a problem and there are not many jobs.
Where I live stores are actually closing nearby because people wont work there.
Orchards down south cant hire after the immigration laws were put in place, because people wont work there.
Its seems to me that the american populace is:
A. Greedy, Indulgent
B. Lazy.
C. Thinks they are entitled to everything.
D. unaware or ignorant.

Or of course all of the above.
I dont agree with Occupy Wall Street because in my opinion it reminds me of communists. And thats my own personal opinion, it may be blunt and Im sure someone will say you dont understand, or you dont see the big picture, but believe me.
Ive talked to hardcore liberal environmentalists who were outspoken in support of communism, and I see alot in the military that most dont see because of all the stuff going on in this country.
So yeah, communism.
Repoman

by BoB Dolen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 am

Shit won't change till you score some serious death tolls, just more bitching and moaning till then.
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by stanley » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:00 am

Repoman wrote:Also Im on board with the idea that the protests are accomplishing absolutely nothing, and that both sides have too many contradictions to warrant any good argument.

such as?

stanley

by Spyder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:05 am

What happened to the veteran is the only exception in my opinion.

All the cries of "police brutality" have just been embellished by media and the left wing, just as the protesters themselves have been dramatized by the right. You see these whiny little douchebags whining about how their "cuffs are too tight". They lay down on the asphalt, tell everyone they're not moving, and start screaming like bitches when the police have to physically move them off the street so the city's flow of traffic can proceed.

Oh, by the way, the so-called "police brutality" here is NOTHING compared to 3rd world countries.
Image Image
Spyder

by Failhorse » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Except for that instance in NY where that cop started hitting people pinned off with mace.
Or here in Chicago where a chick got hit in the face with a club by a cop.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Spyder » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Failhorse wrote:Except for that instance in NY where that cop started hitting people pinned off with mace.
Or here in Chicago where a chick got hit in the face with a club by a cop.

The people who were macing civilians were white-shirts; supervisors.

Problem is, if a cop doesn't follow orders, he will most likely be marked for "insubordination" and perhaps ostracized from the rest of his colleagues. If he does follow orders, then he's viewed as tyrannical to the public.
Image Image
Spyder

by Failhorse » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:00 pm

It sounds mostly like you don't get it.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by mrpikmin2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 pm

can we all agree that some of the protesters are exaggerating?
mrpikmin2

by HibiscusKazeneko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:03 am

mrpikmin2 wrote:can we all agree that some of the protesters are exaggerating?

I agreed with that from the start.
Their cause is a valid one, but one rotten apple can easily spoil the whole bushel.
HibiscusKazeneko

Return to Intense Debate