This seems to sum OWS up quite nicely.

A place for serious conversation. Follow the rules!

This seems to sum OWS up quite nicely.

by Vetos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:22 pm

I used to be a conservative (at least, what passes for conservative these days), and while that started changing during the Arab Spring and the debt ceiling fiasco, I still maintain the habit of listening to my local talk radio station, which features an array of neocons spewing the same rhetoric I've been hearing since the '08 elections, occasionally altered and repackaged to stay half-relevant to current events. I'm not sure why I still listen, most times I get so mad hearing the lies and logical fallacies these people market as facts. I guess it's partly out of habit, partly to hear how they'll spin stories I read a few days ago online. I don't recommend it.

Anyway, I about lost it today. This guy, Greg Garrison, hosts a show on this particular talk channel in the mornings before (shudder) Rush Limbaugh. The way this guy talks, you'd think we were in the midst of the Red Scare. Today's show in particular (in addition to his shows for the past week or so) were almost exclusively about how these protesters are all teens who don't understand government, college kids who are spoiled and living with their parents, and of course, the S-word. This guy does this for 3 hours. Three goddam hours each day. And he gets paid to do it.

The callers aren't much better. This one prick called in today while Garrison was covering the spoiled-college-kids portion, saying basically "if you can't take on the loans/debt, either get a job or don't go to college". I couldn't believe it. I damn near lost control of my car in my rush to switch frequencies because I'm pretty sure I'd have had an aneurysm if I kept listening. I'm going to community college right now precisely because I don't have a job, and I refuse to take out any sort of loan knowing the shitstorm I'll bring upon myself and my parents. If I had my own income, I'd shoot for state university, but I'd still wind up putting myself 50 large in the hole just to get a 2-year degree. To hear someone say that, and actually believe what they're saying is accurate. It's mind-boggling. It's infuriating. The student loan practice in this country is outrageous, designed to suck you in and keep you in debt for as long as possible. Not to mention the fact that the cost of education continues to rise year after year, while our economy and unemployment rates stagnate. And people AGREE WITH THIS. What the fuck, America? What the actual fuck.

Didn't mean to get so ranty, but, uh.... yeah. Discuss. :?
Vetos

Re: This seems to sum OWS up quite nicely.

by jawsh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 pm

jawsh

by Saber » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Pretend that it's all satire.
Just pretend that nobody actually believes the shit they're spewing out, and are doing it to make a point.
Just preteeeeeend.
Saber

by Necro Wes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

Yeah I'd agree with you there. They are a bit unorganized though; to paraphrase a friend of mine "if the occupiers really want to cause some positive change they need to sum up the protest in like 5 bullet points that get to the heart of the problem."
Necro Wes
Donator
Friendly neighborhood zombie

by Failhorse » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 am

5 bullet points? Just 1. That's the problem with democrats. Too big o' tent. So nothing gets done. 1/2 the problems could be solved by overturning the citizens united case. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

Vetos. Try to find a radio host named Thomm Hartman. The guy is a genius.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by HibiscusKazeneko » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:51 am

The kids' version...
HibiscusKazeneko

by HibiscusKazeneko » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Sorry to bump again, but I just had to post this.
It's an article comparing the Occupy Wall Street protests to the civil rights and anti-Vietnam War protests of the 1960s.
HibiscusKazeneko

Return to Intense Debate