Volty's thought's on Terraria after 1 1/2 hours of play.

Discussion of Terraria and our community server

Volty's thought's on Terraria after 1 1/2 hours of play.

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:47 am

So, thanks to Mike's generosity (although Auron could have been in his boat had he had a pair!), I got Terraria. So far, so good. However, I do have some complaints. Anyway, here ya go:

The endless Minecraft comparisons
Seriously, it's annoying as hell. I'm tired of getting messages from people saying "minecraft > terraria" or vice versa. The two games are similar, yes, but not as much as people make it out to be. Really, Terraria reminds me more of a Metroidvania game. While Minecraft is a much more zen experience that is all about creation and atmosphere, Terraria is more concerned with combat and exploration. Yes, both games have similar elements like mining and crafting, but that doesn't make them the same game. It's like comparing Final Fantasy and Dragon Age.

The music is fucking annoying as shit.
I can count the amount of songs in the game on 1 hand, and it plays in the same loop over and over and over. I got tired of it in 30 minutes and turned off the music altogether and put on something from my Zune account.

I have no clue on how to restore my health
Pretty straight forward. No, I don't want to be told how, I want to game to tell me how, and the guide won't get to that vital topic. Instead, he drones on about making guns and shit.

Yeah, I know, it's minor stuff, but it's the little stuff that irritates me. Overall, however, I like it.
VoltySquirrel

Re: Volty's thought's on Terraria after 1 1/2 hours of play.

by Sirnak » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:05 am

The music
I REALLY, REALLY much agree with you on the music part. I don't know why some people seem to be in love with Terraria's music. Only the Underground Jungle music seems any good to me. The others are all really annoying... But, we have to consider that it's a sandbox game. We build stuff and fight. So the music must not be too gentle nor too action oriented so it can be sued in any situation. Also, I have the feeling that the Terraria team wanted the music to have some "mysterious" soul to it. But it kinda fails at my opinion. The music is simply boring.

The good news is that it's quite easy to replace the music in the game files! I highly suggest Zelda music to you. :)

Minecraft comparisons
Minecraft's music is shitty as well? xD

No clue on how to restore health
That's the good thing I love about Terraria and sandboxes games in general. You have to find this kind of stuff on your own. ^^ (or use a wiki! xD)

I'm always as much in love with Terraria as I was in the first few days. I really don't play Minecraft anymore since Terraria fulfills all my sandboxes needs, really. I can't wait for the new patch as well since they are gonna nerf the healing system so that players who actually found out how to heal won't be able to stack hundreds of potions with the good ressources. xD

I love challenge. ^^ (for those who didn't already see me charge at packs of TF2 Heavies/Medic head on with my Degreaser and Shotgun...)
ImageSirnak the Wild CarImage
Sirnak
Donator

by VoltySquirrel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:23 am

Well, I'll be honest, I prefer Minecraft's music because it fits the things you're doing at the time. So if I'm going for a stroll on the overworld, a piano piece kicks in. If I'm in a cave though, a creepy track comes on. Also, there is more music to work with and none of it is played in any sort of order. Also, it doesn't play all the time, so when it comes on it's both meaningful as well as a welcome surprise, which keeps the music from being stale.

On the health thing, I'm fine with a game leaving details hidden for you as the player to find. However, if you implement a guide in order to help new players start the game, you better include the tip that tells you how to not dies as often.
Last edited by VoltySquirrel on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoltySquirrel

by Shadow the Past » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Minecraft's music is much more desirable because it comes on when you least expect it, and it becomes really soothing. Terraria's music wasn't even made into a loop, and yet the track is less than 45 seconds long and loops endlessly, unless you go underground or something where another shitty track loops.
Shadow the Past

by Scooty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Completely agree with you on the Minecraft comparison part. Nothing is more annoying when your friend starts a chat conversation with "terraria? What a rip-off!!"Until of course you find out he's never played Terraria, then it gets worse
My axe, your ass. Also airblasts, sometimes.
Scooty

Return to Terraria