Flashback Why I Didnt Like Nvidia 15 Years Ago

You are the director. Share here

Flashback Why I Didnt Like Nvidia 15 Years Ago

by Balubish » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Holy mofo Nvidia, I have had a ATi/AMD cards for a long time now and forgot really why I didnt like NVidia. Well got my answer today on badwater after Alt Tab into windows and back. Had to restart the game.
So still after all those years they have not got it fixed. Thats bad. Im not saying the card isnt working good, it is but drivers issues still after so long time of developing? Never had problems like this with ATi or AMD cards. Cmon!

Current rank: Terminator
0% Kills needed: 0 (0%)
Balubish
Donator
I drink to keep evil outside!

Re: Flashback Why I Didnt Like Nvidia 15 Years Ago

by GoDM1N » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:12 pm

I alt tab with my GTX 770 all the time and don't have this problem. It might be something else at work here, or you could of just got a bad card which would be more likely. EVGA should do a pretty good RMA for you, try that. /shrug
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:18 pm

I run with a GTX 460, and I never have this issue when I Alt-Tab. Try reinstalling your drivers, or if that doesn't work, RMA like what GoDM1N said.
Nikki Wolf

by Balubish » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:47 pm

GoDM1N wrote:I alt tab with my GTX 770 all the time and don't have this problem. It might be something else at work here, or you could of just got a bad card which would be more likely. EVGA should do a pretty good RMA for you, try that. /shrug

Well it have only happened once so I think it is a driver issue, still dissapointing. Same problems when I first had Nvidia, drivers arent as stable as AMD in my opinion.

Balubish
Donator

by megamoose » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Nvidia 760 guy here, and no problems at all. Follow the above people, and what they said.
megamoose
Donator

by DerKrieger105 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 pm

My issue with nVidia is all of their closed source, proprietary BS they pull. Giving code to developers that they can't even see and other anti consumer BS. Funny thing is even with that AMD cards are usually cheaper and faster.
CSn Bluemin- I'm pretentious and never leave the mic.

DerKrieger105
Blue Admin

by Balubish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:50 am

DerKrieger105 wrote:My issue with nVidia is all of their closed source, proprietary BS they pull. Giving code to developers that they can't even see and other anti consumer BS. Funny thing is even with that AMD cards are usually cheaper and faster.

See your point. I did a test this morning on BF4 to compare the FPS between R9 280X with Mantle and GTX780 DirectX 11 and both on Ultra settings, and the 780 actually dont have that many frames per second more.
So it is obvious that Mantle really do work great. And I did a test with the R9 card with both Mantle and DirectX, and Mantle actually have the fps more stable than on DirectX so hope Nvidia gonna use the implementation on that too. But that said. The 780 is much much faster in some other games. So if they implement Mantle support for their cards they are basicly much better.
I have also noticed that AMD's card have a more stable picture without V-sync and Nvidia I kinda need to use it for more stable picture. I dont know if that is because of the Nvida card is not on max speed all the time.

Can that be true? Might the card be more stable if I use so called K-Boost and run it on max speed all the time? Note: I also have lower fps on TF2 as an example than with the R9 and that kinda proves that it runs slower cause the game dont need it right?

Balubish
Donator

by Ron Swansons Stache » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:49 am

I fail to see the problem. They made TF2 look more awesome.
YOU JUST GOT BUTT CHUNDERED!
Ron Swansons Stache
Blue Admin

by DerKrieger105 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Balubish wrote:
DerKrieger105 wrote:My issue with nVidia is all of their closed source, proprietary BS they pull. Giving code to developers that they can't even see and other anti consumer BS. Funny thing is even with that AMD cards are usually cheaper and faster.

See your point. I did a test this morning on BF4 to compare the FPS between R9 280X with Mantle and GTX780 DirectX 11 and both on Ultra settings, and the 780 actually dont have that many frames per second more.
So it is obvious that Mantle really do work great. And I did a test with the R9 card with both Mantle and DirectX, and Mantle actually have the fps more stable than on DirectX so hope Nvidia gonna use the implementation on that too. But that said. The 780 is much much faster in some other games. So if they implement Mantle support for their cards they are basicly much better.
I have also noticed that AMD's card have a more stable picture without V-sync and Nvidia I kinda need to use it for more stable picture. I dont know if that is because of the Nvida card is not on max speed all the time.

Can that be true? Might the card be more stable if I use so called K-Boost and run it on max speed all the time? Note: I also have lower fps on TF2 as an example than with the R9 and that kinda proves that it runs slower cause the game dont need it right?

Well K-Boost doesn't make the card run at max speed the entire time, just max voltage. It could help but really it is a feature designed for OCing. It keeps the voltage up and the card more stable when you are reaching really high OCs.
TBH I think it is just the nVidia drivers. I have an R9 290 in my main rig but I also have a PC with a GTX 650 Ti. I pulled the R9 290 out and through the 650 Ti in just to see. Something with TF2 doesn't like the nVidia card. Maxed out at 1920X1080 it is totally playable and usually over 60FPS but it is unstable. There is stuttering and the FPS drops for no reason occasionally. Meanwhile I can play something like Crysis 2 on high with it or Metro 2033 maxed and the FPS is much more stable. I think the latest nVidia drivers don't play well with Source.
CSn Bluemin- I'm pretentious and never leave the mic.

DerKrieger105
Blue Admin

by Balubish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:10 pm

DerKrieger105 wrote:
Balubish wrote:

Well K-Boost doesn't make the card run at max speed the entire time, just max voltage. It could help but really it is a feature designed for OCing. It keeps the voltage up and the card more stable when you are reaching really high OCs.
TBH I think it is just the nVidia drivers. I have an R9 290 in my main rig but I also have a PC with a GTX 650 Ti. I pulled the R9 290 out and through the 650 Ti in just to see. Something with TF2 doesn't like the nVidia card. Maxed out at 1920X1080 it is totally playable and usually over 60FPS but it is unstable. There is stuttering and the FPS drops for no reason occasionally. Meanwhile I can play something like Crysis 2 on high with it or Metro 2033 maxed and the FPS is much more stable. I think the latest nVidia drivers don't play well with Source.

Yeah I downloaded the Beta drivers today and also did a small overclock that works with all games and 25mV OC and actually it got better, but I did find out why I think also cause I checked usage and it was around 35% at 200fps in TF2 so guess that there is the problem. AMD and Nvidia work different ways it seems. AMD just push on even though you dont need the power I guess and that makes it more stable. Nvidia seems like it goes up and down depending on how much is happening. So for example I couldnt play Diablo 3 without V-Sync, picture jumped like hell and tearing at 140fps at about 45% load. Really wierd. Guess I need a new monitor some day too now :) Maybe next year.

Balubish
Donator

Return to TF2 Videos