Skating rink

Discussion for the Fun server at: 66.151.244.49:27015

Skating rink

by Potate_hoe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:35 pm

It used to be a fun map and now it's been spammed to death so many times that it seems to be more of a server killer than anything. I was wondering if the map could be removed so we don't go to a server killer?
Potate_hoe

Re: Skating rink

by Someone Special » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Potate_hoe wrote:It used to be a fun map and now it's been spammed to death so many times that it seems to be more of a server killer than anything. I was wondering if the map could be removed so we don't go to a server killer?

It really isn't a server killer. I'd vote nay.
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Poppet » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm

From what I heard it's the most popular map on the funbox. I see what you're saying. It's the funbox not the skatingrink box.

Like on Garry's Mod a server I frequented they had like every gamemode that was available to play voteable for. But we played Trouble in Terrorist Town 90% of the time. But TTT was super fun so it was okay.

If people vote for it they must really want to play on it. It makes more sense than forcing them to play maps they don't want to. That tends to kill servers really fast.
Poppet
Blue Admin

by Hodgepodge » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Just because a handful of people don't like a map and leave because it narrowly wins the vote, doesn't mean that it's a server killer. It means they're upset that a map they don't like won and left. Shame to see that some of the folks are two trialmins.
Did somebody call for the resident pessimist and doctor?
Hodgepodge
Pink Admin

by Potate_hoe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Thank you special I do appreciate the input which is why I put this up :)

poppet wrote:
If people vote for it they must really want to play on it. It makes more sense than forcing them to play maps they don't want to. That tends to kill servers really fast.

The map has been forced to skating rink many times in the past which is why part of the community hates the map, the constant playing on it just made us all go bleh to it.

Hodgepodge wrote:Just because a handful of people don't like a map and leave because it narrowly wins the vote, doesn't mean that it's a server killer. It means they're upset that a map they don't like won and left. Shame to see that some of the folks are two trialmins.

I'm not the only one that can't stand skating rink after having it circlejerked into oblivion and the people I talked to before making this post didn't like the map either and they were all community. All the admins in their own time have left a pop when it hits a map or game mode they don't like.
Potate_hoe

by flufffage » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:46 pm

poppet wrote:
skating rink

Potate_hoe wrote: bleh

Its not horrible when its every once in a while, but there have been occasions where it gets spammed the hell out of, and now its to the point that it even hurts to load in the map.
#opinions
pinkmins more like saltmins amirite
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by megamoose » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:Just because a handful of people don't like a map and leave because it narrowly wins the vote, doesn't mean that it's a server killer. It means they're upset that a map they don't like won and left. Shame to see that some of the folks are two trialmins.

Hodge, you're the only real person to love skatingrink. You're the only admin to force change to that spot.... constantly. I think its time to move on... :L

flufffage wrote:
poppet wrote:
skating rink

Potate_hoe wrote: bleh

Its not horrible when its every once in a while, but there have been occasions where it gets spammed the hell out of, and now its to the point that it even hurts to load in the map.

This. As a fun server go-er, it pains me when this map gets more than 1 vote.
megamoose
Donator

by SnakeShesh » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:51 am

megamoose wrote:This. As a fun server go-er, it pains me when this map gets more than 1 vote.

If it gets more than one vote then people actually want to go to that map. Now if that map wins a majority vote then you know people want to actually play on it. Its just as Hodge said the handful of people who voted for a different map who end up leaving because they don't like the majority vote.
SnakeShesh

by Someone Special » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:45 am

Potate_hoe wrote:I'm not the only one that can't stand skating rink after having it circlejerked into oblivion and the people I talked to before making this post didn't like the map either and they were all community. All the admins in their own time have left a pop when it hits a map or game mode they don't like.

You miss the point. Two trial admins that should have been on popping the servers failed to show up. Even if they don't like the map, it's their obligation to try and pop it. Arty doesn't like it, and yet he stayed. There's no reason why Doc and Zuul couldn't have.

megamoose wrote:Hodge, you're the only real person to love skatingrink. You're the only admin to force change to that spot.... constantly. I think its time to move on... :L

That's actually not true. :?
Someone Special
Pink Admin

by Potate_hoe » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:27 am

Someone Special wrote:
You miss the point. Two trial admins that should have been on popping the servers failed to show up. Even if they don't like the map, it's their obligation to try and pop it. Arty doesn't like it, and yet he stayed. There's no reason why Doc and Zuul couldn't have.

I just don't think it should really matter, most admins have left when they get bored or don't like something. And these two particular trial admins have been on trial for 6 months and if they're expected to be absolutely perfect that whole time that's asking a bit much in my opinion at least.
Potate_hoe

by HausOfJoel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Potate_hoe wrote: most admins have left when they get bored or don't like something.

:idea:
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Doctor Galaxy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:12 am

Someone Special wrote:You miss the point. Two trial admins that should have been on popping the servers failed to show up. Even if they don't like the map, it's their obligation to try and pop it. Arty doesn't like it, and yet he stayed. There's no reason why Doc and Zuul couldn't have.

Yes Alex, I'll take Galaxy's Bad Laptop and Frequent Lag for 500, please.
You try playing with 600+ ping and horrible frames on a map that mainly revolves around hitting people with weird hitboxes.
I don't think Zuul minds the map too much, but after 3 long rounds (75 times around the map, holy crackers batman!) and there's only one guy seriously playing it, it gets blatantly stale. Denying that is heresy.

Skating Rink most notable flaws are:
- Snipers waiting on their exiting end when people loop around so they can get shots off, where as unless it's a Scout, it's easy to track and shoot due to lack of horizontal mobility in a short time frame. This wouldn't be a problem if the latter existed
- Engineers can't build anything, not even dispensers, so they're essentially useless
- The skating rink part of the map favors classes that are not spash-damaged based, so stock Demo and Soldier without a shotgun is doomed, where as Demos can just put traps on the floor going up to the intel to stop classes from capping
- On that note, Demoknight is the most effective way to play this to make use of the hitboxes and increased melee range of swords
- Heavies can simply defend the intel by standing in one spot, occasionally going to get ammo from spawn, and are also terrifying if they decide to go out on the rink
- Spies have even longer range to backstab people due to multiple factors, clientside involved
- Running around with the intel 25 times is mudane at best

The map needs to be seriously refined, but I don't know why Hodge keeps persisting to nominate it every time we're about to vote for a new map.
Doctor Galaxy
Pink Admin

by Hodgepodge » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:31 am

Doctor Galaxy wrote:
Someone Special wrote:You miss the point. Two trial admins that should have been on popping the servers failed to show up. Even if they don't like the map, it's their obligation to try and pop it. Arty doesn't like it, and yet he stayed. There's no reason why Doc and Zuul couldn't have.

Yes Alex, I'll take Galaxy's Bad Laptop and Frequent Lag for 500, please.
You try playing with 600+ ping and horrible frames on a map that mainly revolves around hitting people with weird hitboxes.
I don't think Zuul minds the map too much, but after 3 long rounds (75 times around the map, holy crackers batman!) and there's only one guy seriously playing it, it gets blatantly stale. Denying that is heresy.

Skating Rink most notable flaws are:
- Snipers waiting on their exiting end when people loop around so they can get shots off, where as unless it's a Scout, it's easy to track and shoot due to lack of horizontal mobility in a short time frame. This wouldn't be a problem if the latter existed
- Engineers can't build anything, not even dispensers, so they're essentially useless
- The skating rink part of the map favors classes that are not spash-damaged based, so stock Demo and Soldier without a shotgun is doomed, where as Demos can just put traps on the floor going up to the intel to stop classes from capping
- On that note, Demoknight is the most effective way to play this to make use of the hitboxes and increased melee range of swords
- Heavies can simply defend the intel by standing in one spot, occasionally going to get ammo from spawn, and are also terrifying if they decide to go out on the rink
- Spies have even longer range to backstab people due to multiple factors, clientside involved
- Running around with the intel 25 times is mudane at best

The map needs to be seriously refined, but I don't know why Hodge keeps persisting to nominate it every time we're about to vote for a new map.

So you'll pop for 3 maps with a bad laptop and frequent lag, but it just so happens the next map is Skatingrink and you just can't handle it? I'll take Bullshit for 500 Alex.

In response to the flaws;
1. Snipers are easily dealt with if you know what you're doing.
2. So a few weapons are rendered useless, but Wi(n)dowmaker and Gunslinger's 3rd hit crit aren't useful at all?
3. Stock Demo, as you say is wonderful for defense, Solider is actually a very good class on the rink, again, if you know what you're doing. Just ask Zuul.
4. You are correct! Demoknight is a good class to play on the rink. I wouldn't call it the best however. I fail to see how this is a flaw. "A class is good on this map." Okay...?
5. It is a ctf map. Cooperation is key. I've seen people take down heavies and their medics on rink and off. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible.
6. This is correct. So don't let them get close to you? Slide over, slow down, and/or kill them?
7. I agree with you, 25 times is a bit much. I'd prefer 20, 15 maybe.

I nominate it because it's a fun map and I like it. Same reason people nominate other maps.
Hodgepodge
Pink Admin

by HausOfJoel » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:04 am

Skating Rink is an awful map. And from what I've experienced it kills pops so there is no reason to nominate it if the whole point is to pop the server. It's a tedious map and people leave, simple as that. There is no need to criticize two trial admin for leaving a map for whatever reason when others have done the same or even force changed maps they did not like.

Please do not use this thread for vendettas and target people. It's a thread on a map not on the people you dislike.
HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Doctor Galaxy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:14 am

Hodgepodge wrote:So you'll pop for 3 maps with a bad laptop and frequent lag, but it just so happens the next map is Skatingrink and you just can't handle it? I'll take Bullshit for 500 Alex.

I might as well have posted a smug anime reaction face and left it at that.
Yet even though I'll treat this as bait, I'll still respond.
No it's not Skating Rink, but my laptop likes to go down to three frames every 30 or so seconds even with lowered settings, so it's objectively annoying when you have to deal with that. It's also annoying when your internet connection is 150kb/s, so you do the math when you have someone else in the house who likes to download stuff onto their iPhone a lot.

So aside from my computer problems, lets address your responses for the betterment of the map arguement.
Hodgepodge wrote:1. Snipers are easily dealt with if you know what you're doing.

Yes they are. If you can get up on their balcony or have the ability to whittle them down from 125 to nothing from long distance in a timeframe of 3 seconds.
Hodgepodge wrote:2. So a few weapons are rendered useless, but Wi(n)dowmaker and Gunslinger's 3rd hit crit aren't useful at all?

Hitscan weapons are fine, why do you think a lot of people play Scout or Sniper?
Gunslinger's third hit crit requires you not to miss a punch, something that's difficult when your hitboxes are changing.
Hodgepodge wrote:3. Stock Demo, as you say is wonderful for defense, Solider is actually a very good class on the rink, again, if you know what you're doing. Just ask Zuul.

Relying on splash damage on the rink is the equivalent of putting out a housefire with a cup of water. It does literally nothing unless you can go up onto the enemy's overlook and use it there where things are normal, or actually hit your pills, which hardly happens.
Hodgepodge wrote:4. You are correct! Demoknight is a good class to play on the rink. I wouldn't call it the best however. I fail to see how this is a flaw. "A class is good on this map." Okay...?

Because pipes aren't as effective as being able to reach out to people using the range of the swords. If you're going to be on the rink, its easier to play as a class that can take the advantage of that than rather waste the time to set up explosions that don't even do anything if you set them off beneath someone's feet. Because of this, it makes people play only a certain way.
Hodgepodge wrote:5. It is a ctf map. Cooperation is key. I've seen people take down heavies and their medics on rink and off. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible.

As me and my accomplice proved back during the pop while I was there, it was easy staving you and whomever else off the point with a Vaccinator combo. That, plus the fact that you can see whomever's coming a mile away can give the Heavy time to rev up. Have you not seen Porky before stand off multiple attackers just because he saw who was coming and could mow you down before you finally get to his side? Add a Medic and another teammate, and you might as well not even think about contesting the intel.
Hodgepodge wrote:6. This is correct. So don't let them get close to you? Slide over, slow down, and/or kill them?

Melee range is distorted on this map, again. It's easy to backstab someone while being so many feet away from them if you get the sweetspot.
Hodgepodge wrote:20 or 15, maybe.

Sure, I'll agree with that.
Hodgepodge wrote:I nominate it because it's a fun map and I like it. Same reason people nominate other maps.

Fair enough.

HausOfJoel wrote:Skating Rink is an awful map. And from what I've experienced it kills pops so there is no reason to nominate it if the whole point is to pop the server. It's a tedious map and people leave, simple as that. There is no need to criticize two trial admin for leaving a map for whatever reason when others have done the same or even force changed maps they did not like.
Doctor Galaxy
Pink Admin

by Hodgepodge » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:51 am

So what I'm getting from the thread as a whole is that some people like the map and some people don't.

It's far from perfect. Heavy/Medic combos are OP. Snipers are OP. It messes with hitboxes and projectiles. A central mechanic of the map is that it pushes you around. It can last a long time.

I don't recall seeing threads about removing Flying Fortress because it has these exact problems but whatever.

If we really need to discuss removing Skatingrink then we can do it at the first newfangled Admin and Community Meeting, because not everyone who plays on the Lovenest uses the Forums, and we should get their opinions on the matter.
Hodgepodge
Pink Admin

by flufffage » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:36 am

Hodgepodge wrote:If we really need to discuss removing Skatingrink then we can do it at the first newfangled Admin and Community Meeting, because not everyone who plays on the Lovenest uses the Forums, and we should get their opinions on the matter.
#opinions
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by Potate_hoe » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:35 pm

I was just in a pop of the funservers and shame to see that some of the fulmins didn't even show up! Wow such a shame i'm really ashamed about it, really truly a shame.

Potate_hoe

by Ttariel » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:52 pm

I think we should all come together and add obama to the list of overpowered characters in street baker 5.
Ttariel

by megamoose » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Potate_hoe wrote:I was just in a pop of the funservers and shame to see that some of the fulmins didn't even show up! Wow such a shame i'm really ashamed about it, really truly a shame.

Hey man, even though they didn't show up, not the place on the forums for it...
megamoose
Donator

by Potate_hoe » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:10 pm

megamoose wrote:
Potate_hoe wrote:I was just in a pop of the funservers and shame to see that some of the fulmins didn't even show up! Wow such a shame i'm really ashamed about it, really truly a shame.

Yeah I know, I was just making a joke because I thought it showed how ridiculous it is to get upset over anything like that.
Potate_hoe

by HausOfJoel » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:53 pm

HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Rumors » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:49 am

HausOfJoel wrote:Image

Image[/url]Image
Rumors
Donator
Penndragoon

by megamoose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:07 am

Potate_hoe wrote:
megamoose wrote:

Yeah I know, I was just making a joke because I thought it showed how ridiculous it is to get upset over anything like that.

Oh, okey sooory.
Why dont we close this thread, it's going no where now.
megamoose
Donator

by JOYR1D3 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:50 am

ctf_skatingrink has more activity on the forums than the actual server ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
JOYR1D3

by HausOfJoel » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:40 am

HausOfJoel
Blue Admin
Your Problematic Fave

by Poppet » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:34 am

Poppet
Blue Admin

by flufffage » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:20 am

JOYR1D3 wrote:ctf_skatingrink has more activity on the forums than the actual server ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
#opinions
flufffage
Pink Admin
the rare hellobird

by Poppet » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:45 am

flufffage wrote:
JOYR1D3 wrote:ctf_skatingrink has more activity on the forums than the actual server ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Poppet
Blue Admin

Return to Love Nest (Fun Server)