Funbox2 seems to have lost the "fun" aspect

Discussion for the Fun server at: 66.151.244.49:27015

Funbox2 seems to have lost the "fun" aspect

by Jettrax » Thu May 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Umm lots of people have been chattering about the idea to make Fun server 2 more serious.
If its meant to be more serious It shouldnt be called fun server 2.
What people are suggesting is move all the mods to the lovenest and turn server 2 into a custom (fun) maps server with randomizer option. Kind of like Benny's old server.
Id love to play on a custom maps server with maps like pl/cp_toyfort, cp_bedrooms, ctf_royal, ctf_turbinepro and ctf_convoy.
I still hate randomizer...
Jettrax
Donator

Re: Funbox2 seems to have lost the "fun" aspect

by medkitz » Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Anything but randomizer and melee only. please
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Saber » Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm totally down with the idea of a modded maps server, because right now it's only the LN that has any modded maps. I mean, the maps are cool, but nobody ever really tries hard on there.
Saber

by medkitz » Thu May 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Saber wrote:but nobody ever really tries hard on there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Ninja » Thu May 10, 2012 8:20 pm

We had a custom map server.
It failed worse than wb2.

If you didn't know the main fun server used to be way more serious.
I was actually the one to change it from that.

And randomizer is what fills the server why would we get rid of it.....
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by Smeemo » Thu May 10, 2012 8:34 pm

I'd give it some time before passing judgment, but I don't see anything wrong with being mildly competitive while enjoying all the cool custom stuff we have access to.
Smeemo

by GoDM1N » Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Yea the custom map servers (notice the s) we've had in the past have failed, and with the way valve promotes servers now vs then it'd just make FB2 that much harder to pop. If you use custom maps valve won't send you any players, which is the reason we force the server to dustbowl, badwater and goldrush until you get at least 12 players. Other mods also cause FB2 problems atm, which again is why we've forced it to randomizer until 12 players.

Saber wrote:I'm totally down with the idea of a modded maps server, because right now it's only the LN that has any modded maps. I mean, the maps are cool, but nobody ever really tries hard on there.
Actually FB2 has "fun maps" as well

Smeemo wrote:I'd give it some time before passing judgment, but I don't see anything wrong with being mildly competitive while enjoying all the cool custom stuff we have access to.
To some people killing anyone in this game isn't fun, yet standing around using the game as a chat room is for some reason :roll:
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by Knees of Justice » Thu May 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Our goal is to differentiate fun server 2 from the love nest, with completely separate mods and a shift in play style. It doesn't mean you guys can't be friendly there - it's just we won't be penalizing other players for tryharding unless they're spawn camping or something.
Basically, love nest = friendly, fun server 2 = more serious and different mods. You can switch between the servers as you see fit. It's just a test, so we'll see if the policy sticks around or not.

And while you may not like randomizer, it is popular with other players. and I like it
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by Smeemo » Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Randomizer can indeed get pretty hilarious. I envision FB2 being something like the old FunBox used to be around a year ago. Nothing too drastic. Or maybe it is and I just don't realize it?
Smeemo

by Jettrax » Thu May 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Ninja wrote:We had a custom map server.
It failed worse than wb2.

If you didn't know the main fun server used to be way more serious.
I was actually the one to change it from that.

And randomizer is what fills the server why would we get rid of it.....

I never said get rid of randomizer I just said i hate it and it can be used as optional game mode.
I remember it failing because it only had stock maps :I
Jettrax
Donator

by Ninja » Thu May 10, 2012 9:22 pm

No I dont remember playing any stock maps, save for the 2 backwards maps we had.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by Saber » Thu May 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Ohhh, I guess that makes sense. You're trying to differentiate the LN and FB2.

YOU KNOW WHAT

YOU
NEEEEEEED

A CATCHY NAME

No, I'm serious. "Fun Server 2" is just so...boring.
Saber

by Ninja » Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Have any ideas saber :P
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by meh » Thu May 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Ninja wrote:Have any ideas saber :P

*cough* mehcave *cough*
meh

by Ninja » Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Thats a good start xD
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by medkitz » Thu May 10, 2012 10:40 pm

the Love nest's partner

medkitz

by stanley » Thu May 10, 2012 10:42 pm

snowsickles booze room

Wanted: sassy middle aged black man, big butt, bigger heart

snowsickle: it isnt a donor privilege to spawncamp
stanley

by Knees of Justice » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 pm

A name, huh..
Lovenest II

I'm not very good at this.
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by medkitz » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Knees of Justice wrote:A name, huh..
Lovenest II

I'm not very good at this.

Knee's room of Justice?

medkitz

by VoltySquirrel » Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 am

The worst part about the custom map server's failure was that I was sure it wasn't going to. Then I turned around and said that the westbox would fall flat on it's face. Then I "ruined" the site with the chatbar (quotes because it really didn't but whatever). Man, I'm just not a very good admin I guess. :( :(
VoltySquirrel

by LegendarySurgeon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm

VoltySquirrel wrote:The worst part about the custom map server's failure was that I was sure it wasn't going to. Then I turned around and said that the westbox would fall flat on it's face. Then I "ruined" the site with the chatbar (quotes because it really didn't but whatever). Man, I'm just not a very good admin I guess. :( :(

You're just too cool, Volty.

We used to have a dedicated Randomizer server which seemed popular until eventually valve broke randomizer. Given that it's already a "fun" type server, incoming players already expect to download custom sounds, maps, and models. The challenge with the custom map server was that it was conceived as a competitive server but it had unplayable maps like koth_sandvich that competitive players could not keep seriously. If we had a custom map server with only serious maps that might work, but serious players don't usually want to download maps. The other end of the spectrum, a randomizer server with a wide range of bizarre, wild maps, sounds very playable...
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Jettrax » Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Ninja wrote:No I dont remember playing any stock maps, save for the 2 backwards maps we had.

You dont remember then. There was a long time that it was glitched or broken and only stock maps were playing. I'm pretty sure it was because no one cared enough to mention it.
Here's a blast from the past.
I remember some sort of server 2 naming contest that never did anything. Hmmm.
Jettrax
Donator

by Lime_Flavored_Dragon » Fri May 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Saber wrote:Ohhh, I guess that makes sense. You're trying to differentiate the LN and FB2.

YOU KNOW WHAT

YOU
NEEEEEEED

A CATCHY NAME

No, I'm serious. "Fun Server 2" is just so...boring.

The Dragon's Lair
ImageImage

8:04 PM - ≫ReL≪ PootisFactory CSn|LN: the dragon is sniffing the shark and the shark is tasting the dragon
Lime_Flavored_Dragon

by Vetos » Fri May 11, 2012 2:21 pm

GoDM1N wrote:To some people killing anyone in this game isn't fun, yet standing around using the game as a chat room is for some reason :roll:

>derping on slayboxes = totally cool, not annoying
>derping on fun servers = not cool, totally annoying

wat

godmin wat
Vetos

by Ninja » Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 pm

When you are trying to play saxton and they make you sit while they do nothing for 5 mins........
Different from trying to make the normal servers more fun.
Ninja
Donator
Sgt Sarcasm

by Jettrax » Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Ninja wrote:When you are trying to play saxton and they make you sit while they do nothing for 5 mins........
Different from trying to make the normal servers more fun.

And thats why we toggle timebomb ocasionally.
Jettrax
Donator

by Vetos » Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

I could understand how it'd be annoying in a mode like Saxton Hale, been there and done that. But what about the other 70% of playtime?

Personally, I would go to Fun servers to be casual and just mess around. To get away from the tryharding on the slayboxes when I wasn't in that particular mood. Not that killing people is a horrible thing. But when people started tryharding on the Fun servers, killing civilians for no reason, I just stopped bothering even going. If it's the same atmosphere as a slaybox, but with the paint job of a casual server, what's the point? It would be nice if the fraggers and the friendly could coexist, but it doesn't happen. So obviously we should encourage the fraggers. On a casual play server. ok

Also Jett makes a good point. When people were either not participating/unnecessarily dragging the game, the admins would take care of it. More admins means things like that happen less often.
Vetos

by Knees of Justice » Fri May 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Vetos wrote:I could understand how it'd be annoying in a mode like Saxton Hale, been there and done that. But what about the other 70% of playtime?

Personally, I would go to Fun servers to be casual and just mess around. To get away from the tryharding on the slayboxes when I wasn't in that particular mood. Not that killing people is a horrible thing. But when people started tryharding on the Fun servers, killing civilians for no reason, I just stopped bothering even going. If it's the same atmosphere as a slaybox, but with the paint job of a casual server, what's the point? It would be nice if the fraggers and the friendly could coexist, but it doesn't happen. So obviously we should encourage the fraggers. On a casual play server. ok

Also Jett makes a good point. When people were either not participating/unnecessarily dragging the game, the admins would take care of it. More admins means things like that happen less often.

The love nest won't change from its friendly nature. It's just fun server 2 that will be more serious, along with having different mods to change things up. If you want to play friendly, stay on the love nest.
We're just testing this to see how it will turn out.
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

by Saber » Fri May 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah, personally I'm totally down with the whole "more serious fun server" idea. Like sometimes I feel like just kicking back and dicking around and not super-tryharding.

(I also may or may not get satisfaction from killing some of the fun server people who aren't that good it helps to relax me oh god i'm a terrible person)
Saber

by Jettrax » Fri May 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Vetos wrote:More admins means things like that happen less often.

Hmmmm....

Saber wrote: (I also may or may not get satisfaction from killing some of the fun server people who aren't that good it helps to relax me oh god i'm a terrible person)

Me and the regulars usually just get satisfaction from killing the noobs who try to tryhard and fail at it. Instead of simply slaying or kicking them.
Jettrax
Donator

by GoDM1N » Fri May 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Vetos wrote:
GoDM1N wrote:To some people killing anyone in this game isn't fun, yet standing around using the game as a chat room is for some reason :roll:

>derping on slayboxes = totally cool, not annoying
>derping on fun servers = not cool, totally annoying

wat

godmin wat

Theres nothing wrong with derping in the slayboxes, theres also nothing wrong with killing people in the fun servers. Just because people are killing each other doesn't mean fun isn't being had or that everyone is tryharding. This also doesn't mean people cant derp if they want. Derping and killing aren't server exclusive, you can do both in any of our servers.

The problem is when the whole server has to be basically shut down because someone on saxton just sits there and doesn't finish the last guy until half the server is forced to spec. Or the whole server has to be put on hold because some one wants to orbit both rockets in dodgeball for like 10 mins. The fun servers have a lot of mods that can cause the whole server to be stopped if people don't kill or w/e, so some killing simply has to take place to keep games moving or people will leave because they're just sitting in spec doing nothing
GoDM1N
Donator
Win a prize if you can read my avatar

by medkitz » Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Saber wrote: (I also may or may not get satisfaction from killing some of the fun server people who aren't that good it helps to relax me oh god i'm a terrible person)

Me and the regulars usually just get satisfaction from killing the noobs who try to tryhard and fail at it. Instead of simply slaying or kicking them.[/quote]

and i do the same thing but i kill jett on purpose. such fun

medkitz

by fingerman » Fri May 11, 2012 4:53 pm

we have fun in secret when jett is not around.
fingerman
Red Admin
Author of: The Pushers Guide to Little Carts

by Jettrax » Fri May 11, 2012 5:28 pm

When was i not around?
Jettrax
Donator

by medkitz » Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Jettrax wrote:When was i not around?

Basically...

Jett online - ugh gotta have "fun:

Jett offline - The fun begins!

medkitz

Return to Love Nest (Fun Server)