New kid on the block: Silver87

Introduce yourself here.

New kid on the block: Silver87

by Silver87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Well I'm really new to this, being part of a clan that is, heck I don't even know if I'm officially part of the faction just yet or not. Guess I should explain a few things about who I am:
I live in the state of Michigan and I am a college student of 23 at Ferris State University in my last year of my program Television and Digital Media Production (TDMP). I've been on Steam for about 2 (almost 3) years now and according to my Mercenary Badge I started playing TF2 as of January 19th, 2009 thanks to my best friend and roommate who bought me the Orange Box for Xmas (and says he has regretted that purchase ever since XD ). My Steam name is Silver Shard as I like the color of Silver and my favorite word in the English dictionary is Shard. I have a moderate list of games that I own, not all of them are installed since I doubt my laptop could handle them all at once, just the ones I play the most and those I don't ever intend to delete. My most played game is of course TF2 with a grand total of 931 hours logged in and not a single second of it spent on an Idle server...I don't idle and I never plan on doing so. I now own (thanks to trading) one hat for each of my classes and each hat is painted except for those that can't be painted. I am slowly labeling with name tags each of the one vintage item I have for each class as "Silver's Sandman" or whatever the item may be. I love to trade items and hats on occasions but ATM I'm fine with the collection of hats I own right now. Other than that I really don't think I have much else to say other than glad I can be a part of this crew and I look forward to some good times in the future!

Cheers!
Silver87

P.S. If you couldn't tell, I really like the color orange ^_^
Silver87

Re: New kid on the block: Silver87

by duck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

were not a clan :P

also to burst your bubble I have 5 unusuals and 40 hats. I'm the trade server admin. if you need pyro hats I have every single one.

anyway welcome. were glad to have you
duck

by Silver87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

UnicornPoop wrote:were not a clan :P

also to burst your bubble I have 5 unusuals and 40 hats. I'm the trade server admin. if you need pyro hats I have every single one.

Not a clan O_o...then what would you be considered? A group, faction, gathering...other?

I'm not to big on having dozens of hats or unusuals for that matter. I really only want one good hat for each of my classes and I got that (although I'd give two hats for a Scotch bonnet for my demo) for awhile I had both a hustler's Hallmark and Prince Tavish's Crown that I was looking to trade for the blasted thing but no one was taking me up on it so I traded them away and got two random hats which I rage crafted to get Le Party Phantom which I then traded for a painted Tippler's Tricorne which was the fist hat I ever got for my Demoman but had crafted it to get my Brigade Helm for my Pyro. Long story short...I love trading and crafting so i think we could have quite a bit to talk about! So yeah, I'm glad to be here too! ^_^

oh BTW...here's my backpack if anyone want to take a look see:
http://www.tf2items.com/id/yagastavhin
Silver87

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey there Silver, glad to see you finally got your forum account working. It is true that we aren't exactly a 'clan' (clans have entrance exams, we let anyone be CSn without a test). We do have a somewhat strict admin policy, though, so I suppose in that respect we're similar to a clan, if you'd consider all our admins 'clan members'.

But we like to call ourselves a community, because (unlike most clans) we exist purely to serve random pubbers, rather than to competitively dominate the TF2 scene.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Silver87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Ah that makes sense then, well all in all I'm just glad to be part of a whatever this is...a non douchebaggery group that enjoys TF2 and just has fun with it! I've been part of groups or clans before and I can honestly say I wasn't all that impressed with them thus eventually I left on my own free will, but I get the feeling this one will be different and I feel I'll be sticking around for awhile...might donate too when I actually get some money to spare! XD
I did have a few questions tho that I wanted to ask:

-How do I get that Icon of my Steam ID on here?
-Is there a way for me to get something like that title below your account name?
-Is there an easy way to find the CSN servers to play on instead of constantly scrolling through my map list?
-Is there anything I should expect to happen soon or some sort of Initiation?
-is it okay to put the csn| tag on my name or is that reserved for admins?
and lastly
-How interactive are you guys? Like do you have major events coming up and whatnot?
Silver87

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Good questions!
  • You'll need to put your correct steam ID in the steam ID field on your profile. It's the profile id that starts with 7, not the STEAM_0_... one. If you go to http://www.noobsticks.com/ and paste in your profile you can figure it out.
  • Donators can get a title under their account name in the forums :)
  • You can add the servers to your favorites by clicking the favorites tab, choosing "add a server" and pasting in our ips (which are slay1.critsandvich.com, slay2.critsandvich.com, random.critsandvich.com, critsandvich.com:27015 (fun), and critsandvich.com:27017 (trading post). Or, you can open the console (look up how to find console) and type in "connect IP" where IP is the ip you want to connect to. OR you could install my custom menu! (see here)
  • Community members don't have any sort of initiation, since we welcome anyone who wants in. If you're interested in admining for a server, there is a process that involves an application, a trial period, etc. See the Help Wanted forum for details.
  • CSn tag is open for anyone, so go ahead and add it if you wish.
  • We just finished a big event where the people with the highest stats after a month got special hats and other items. We also have a big community tournament that just about started. I'm not sure if we can squeeze you into a team, but you can always ask an orange forum officer (tournament people) if it might be possible.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Silver87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Cool! Well I'm on Spring Break right now but if I can't get into the tourney thats alright I'll just check out the next one. The whole personalized trading server and hat contests sound fun and almost got the Steam ID thing figured out, got the number off of both Steam ID Finder and Noobsticks and put it in but both of them are coming up as errors for some reason. What exactly do I put in that little box in my profile? Just the number? or the 7656119+ the number? Or are both of those ways totally wrong? Sorry if I'm making this troublesome and sounding like a total noob :oops:
Silver87

by duck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:04 pm

also we have small giveaways and random games on the trade server. along with wager spy gambles and raffles. the trade server is very friendly and is a fun place to chill. we have the best map ever with custom rooms a sawblade course a rocket jumping course and me unicorn :D
duck

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 pm

No worries, I set up the steam thing for you. I know it can be a little confusing.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Ackybur » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 pm

We're not a clan. It's klan. Here is your complimentary hood ^_^
Ackybur
Donator

by Silver87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm

benny hill wrote:No worries, I set up the steam thing for you. I know it can be a little confusing.

Awesome thanks for that! Odd tho that it says I'm offline...I've been on all day? Eh no big.

Admiral Ackybur wrote:

We're not a clan. It's klan. Here is your complimentary hood ^_^

O_O...oh man...what have I signed up for! Corey is gonna be pissed.
Silver87

by Vivi Hill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Steam's been having some problems with connectivity. I imagine that's the reason.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Silver87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Wow...so I just got finished with my first day of playing against other members of Critsandvich...and its clear to me now that I really suck at this :oops: . I mean half of the entire other team was dominating me on almost every map and I died more times than I have died in a week! This is really disappointing... :(
Any chance there is like a training or noob server to improve my skills? Cause at this rate I'm never gonna be able to keep up! :shock:
Silver87

by LegendarySurgeon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Slaybox 2 tends to have fewer regulars and therefore fewer highly skilled players on it. Also, if you play at odd times you'll play against odd groups of people. For the most part, as you play you'll get better. You have 145 hours of actual play-time (tf2 calculates time weirdly, 145 is the sum of the time spent playing for each class) which isn't trivial, but getting used to the play style of certain people will help you fight with or against them. As even a very basic example if you see Doppelsoldner or Aleski on the other team watch your back for spies even more carefully because both of them are very good spies. If you're being dominated a lot it probably means you're dying a lot: try playing soldier or demoman and focusing on staying alive, doing damage where possible with your projectiles. This doesn't mean stay in the back and do nothing, of course, try to be near the front lines, but you don't have to run forward alone and die. Keep your team in sight. Based on your steam profile you usually play engy, but since we have class limits you won't always be able to choose that, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, how did you pull of an 84 kill steak as a heavy on a non-achievement server?
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Vivi Hill » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah, personally I find that after playing with the regulars after a while you get a hang of it. You realize that like each class, each regular player has his or her weaknesses. It's intriguing.
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by duck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:55 pm

I like spy. what I do is I get a back stab and then run away really fast
duck

by Fencerboy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:48 pm

UnicornPoop wrote:I like spy. what I do is I get a back stab and then run away really fast

thanks for sharing
Fencerboy
Gold Admin
Last Surviving Goldmin

by Silver87 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02 am

LegendarySurgeon wrote:Slaybox 2 tends to have fewer regulars and therefore fewer highly skilled players on it. Also, if you play at odd times you'll play against odd groups of people. For the most part, as you play you'll get better. You have 145 hours of actual play-time (tf2 calculates time weirdly, 145 is the sum of the time spent playing for each class) which isn't trivial, but getting used to the play style of certain people will help you fight with or against them. As even a very basic example if you see Doppelsoldner or Aleski on the other team watch your back for spies even more carefully because both of them are very good spies. If you're being dominated a lot it probably means you're dying a lot: try playing soldier or demoman and focusing on staying alive, doing damage where possible with your projectiles. This doesn't mean stay in the back and do nothing, of course, try to be near the front lines, but you don't have to run forward alone and die. Keep your team in sight. Based on your steam profile you usually play engy, but since we have class limits you won't always be able to choose that, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, how did you pull of an 84 kill steak as a heavy on a non-achievement server?

I took your advice on this and you're right! It went alot better! :D I even played the same maps as earlier and things went way more smoothly. I'll keep in mind the other tips you offered about spies and demo/soldier classes, even though I'm not to keen on the Soldier class personally :| (at one point I refused to play him or heal any soldiers as medic cause I thought they were way to over powered, a bit childish I know but I really hated anything to do with the soldier for some reason, might have been the War Update...then there was that thing with crafting tons of soldier hats but thats a different story :roll: ). I did notice how on some maps only one Engineer is allowed which is upsetting but thats why I have Medic as my secondary best which I notice not many people ever play so its in my favor most of the time. :)

As for the huge Heavy kill streak...funny story that :) . It was on Cp_gravelpit, not sure how long ago. What happened is I managed to wrangle up both a Engineer duo and Medic buddy to set up right behind the two exit doors leading to Point A and Point B ;) . The server gave red team more time to set up and so the Engies had put up one lv. 3 sentry, a teleporter and two dispensers in the hallway while my medic buddy kept healing me with his Kritzkrieg while he was healed by one dispenser and I was double healed by him and the other dispenser. Thus as the BLU team came out of the exits I pretty much just sat there killing off the unsuspecting players as they came out...eventually they caught on but they still were having an impossible time getting past the four of us and the sentry and the constant barrages of Kritz Ubers from my medic buddy. They eventually called an admin on us and when he arrived he just laughed at our little set up and claimed it as perfectly legit :D . BLU team didn't like it and continued to complain :roll: so the Admin then joined our team and helped us by being a second medic buddy! It was priceless! :lol: I like to think of it as the day of (nearly) 100 ragequits. :mrgreen:
Silver87

Return to Introductions