Chicago #2 will be down Oct 21 at 2AM CDT

Report hackers, annoyers, crashes, problems here.

Chicago #2 will be down Oct 21 at 2AM CDT

by Vivi Hill » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Got a notice from DiscountGameServers:

On October 21st, starting at 2am CDT and continuing until 4am CDT, InterNAP will be performing maintenance on the router we connect to in Chicago. At some point during that window, they have told us that there will be a 15-20 minute period of connectivity loss. During that time, all our Chicago services will be temporarily offline, including yours.

Just a heads up in case this occurs. Far in advance, I know. Very happy about all this info they give me. A lot different from GameServers.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Re: Chicago #2 will be down Oct 21 at 2AM CDT

by dieinafire » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm

benny hill wrote:Got a notice from DiscountGameServers:

On October 21st, starting at 2am CDT and continuing until 4am CDT, InterNAP will be performing maintenance on the router we connect to in Chicago. At some point during that window, they have told us that there will be a 15-20 minute period of connectivity loss. During that time, all our Chicago services will be temporarily offline, including yours.

Just a heads up in case this occurs. Far in advance, I know. Very happy about all this info they give me. A lot different from GameServers.

I have a L4D2 server w/ gameservers and I'm not impressed with the support and notifications at all. My server went down when L4D2 Sacrifice came out, and it took me 1.5 day to get a response from them. DiscountGameServers looks very ... unprofessional, based on the design. How's the control panel?
dieinafire
Donator

by Vivi Hill » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Well, we've only had them for about a week, so I can't vouch for anything over the long-term. However, compared to the GameServers panel, it's very extensive actually. Their public webpage is very minimal, yes, but they have treated me very professionally as a customer. For example, when we originally ordered the server, we were getting regular lag spikes that weren't caused by our plugins. They got back to me within 24 hours of me emailing, and said that though they could not see anything wrong with our server they'd move us to a new box. After the move, our server was working perfectly--as you can see if you join it. I have gotten several automated emails from them (which I appreciate). In one, they explained that another customer's account had been hogging the pipe and that they had shut their account down, so service should improve.

They actually update the servers automatically for you, unlike gameservers. They have a script which waits until the server is empty and then performs the update (or, they say, you can restart the server for it to update).

About the panel:
Their panel has a lot of information and different sections. Status pane shows map, players etc. Server usage pane shows graphs of the player count over the past day, week, year and month. Server health pane explains the OS, CPU, memory, memory usage, CPU usage and uptime of the entire machine. Events log shows past events (updates, restarts, news posts).

The "easy setup" panel allows you to change the hostname, rcon, logging, timelimit, mapcycle, and sourcetv settings directly in the panel. They have a page for installing mods and plugins automatically: CEVO configs, EventScripts, HLSTATSX plugin, Mani Admin Mod, Metamod:Source, Psychostats, Sourcemod. The file manager panel lets you edit all the files through the panel, and gives you your FTP information. You can also schedule wipes and backups of the server there. The server control tab lets you start/stop the server, etc.

Compared to GameServers this is really extensive. I'm very impressed by the service. They advertise that they have "no support" but their panel actually is more advanced than GameServers. So far based on my experience it's far and above GameServers' service, and it's cheaper. However, you won't get support for messed up mods. This isn't a problem for me :)
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by dieinafire » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:53 pm

benny hill wrote:Well, we've only had them for about a week, so I can't vouch for anything over the long-term. However, compared to the GameServers panel, it's very extensive actually. Their public webpage is very minimal, yes, but they have treated me very professionally as a customer. For example, when we originally ordered the server, we were getting regular lag spikes that weren't caused by our plugins. They got back to me within 24 hours of me emailing, and said that though they could not see anything wrong with our server they'd move us to a new box. After the move, our server was working perfectly--as you can see if you join it. I have gotten several automated emails from them (which I appreciate). In one, they explained that another customer's account had been hogging the pipe and that they had shut their account down, so service should improve.

They actually update the servers automatically for you, unlike gameservers. They have a script which waits until the server is empty and then performs the update (or, they say, you can restart the server for it to update).

About the panel:
Their panel has a lot of information and different sections. Status pane shows map, players etc. Server usage pane shows graphs of the player count over the past day, week, year and month. Server health pane explains the OS, CPU, memory, memory usage, CPU usage and uptime of the entire machine. Events log shows past events (updates, restarts, news posts).

The "easy setup" panel allows you to change the hostname, rcon, logging, timelimit, mapcycle, and sourcetv settings directly in the panel. They have a page for installing mods and plugins automatically: CEVO configs, EventScripts, HLSTATSX plugin, Mani Admin Mod, Metamod:Source, Psychostats, Sourcemod. The file manager panel lets you edit all the files through the panel, and gives you your FTP information. You can also schedule wipes and backups of the server there. The server control tab lets you start/stop the server, etc.

Compared to GameServers this is really extensive. I'm very impressed by the service. They advertise that they have "no support" but their panel actually is more advanced than GameServers. So far based on my experience it's far and above GameServers' service, and it's cheaper. However, you won't get support for messed up mods. This isn't a problem for me :)

Dang, I should take a look. I had been pondering getting a TF2 server to play around on, but I always play on your servers, so there isn't really a need anymore. I'd like to build a gam eserver management console. Could be a pretty neat web app. Decisions, decisions ...
dieinafire
Donator

by Level 69 BP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:32 pm

DAMNIT, that's EXACTLY when i was planning to play. sigh, now what will I do on that random Thursday at 2am?
Level 69 BP

Return to Server Support