Fix For Those With Lag, Stutter, Low FPS - Hatless Update

Report hackers, annoyers, crashes, problems here.

Fix For Those With Lag, Stutter, Low FPS - Hatless Update

by Failhorse » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:29 am

If you were experiencing low FPS, stutter, or lag since the last update try this. I'm not saying it's an accurate fix, or makes sense. But it worked for me.

I tried every possible software solution. Verified cache, deleted/replaced drivers, reinstalled TF2, blah blah blah. Nothing worked. Hardware stress tests. Everything performed to specs.

I decided to take apart my box and reassemble. Not recommending this. But it fixed my issues. Essentially pull out your video card and re-seat it. While you're in there blow out all the dust and crap.

When I restarted my computer I popped into the bios and noticed the clock was off. The time didn't coincide with the time I had things disassembled. I adjusted. Launched, opened TF2, popped into a server, and had no more issues.

my ins and outs are still fucked. But no lag or stutter.

Before
http://steamcommunity.com/id/failhorse/ ... tab=public
After
coming soon.

Something else you can try if this does fail. Heard it worked as well. Open launch settings. Add +cl_forcepreload 1

Good luck. If you're having issues and try these solutions post results.
Failhorse
Red Admin

Re: Fix For Those With Lag, Stutter, Low FPS - Hatless Updat

by Vivi Hill » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:38 pm

It's a real pain that pretty much without fail every TF2 update has managed to make the game perform worse and worse. It's nice they're working on reducing the memory footprint but it appears it has come at a cost of CPU. As someone who is hard-pressed for CPU, this doesn't work well for me. Worst part is there's little I can do to reduce CPU. High fps configs are good if your graphics card sucks but that's not the case here.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Maringue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:26 pm

I agree it's annoying, I'm much rather a game be a RAM hog than a CPU whore-monger.

Let's face it, are you really going to try to do other shit that needs RAM while playing an FPS?
Maringue
Blue Admin

by rancoR » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:58 am

Benny Hill wrote:It's a real pain that pretty much without fail every TF2 update has managed to make the game perform worse and worse. It's nice they're working on reducing the memory footprint but it appears it has come at a cost of CPU. As someone who is hard-pressed for CPU, this doesn't work well for me. Worst part is there's little I can do to reduce CPU. High fps configs are good if your graphics card sucks but that's not the case here.

Couldn't agree more. At best I'll gain ~10fps by dropping all my settings down to zilch, still bottlenecks at the CPU and lags at the least opportune times because of it(firefights, high action areas, etc). :| Wish they'd stop rolling out all these new features and spend a couple months working on strictly code optimization.
rancoR

by Vivi Hill » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 pm

I actually seem to have gotten a statistically significant increase in fps from upgrading my mobo chipset and firmware. Still hard to prove, but I'm pretty sure it's better.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Return to Server Support