Servers

Report hackers, annoyers, crashes, problems here.

Servers

by doppelganger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:58 am

This isn't really a technical issue: who do you host your servers through?
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

Re: Servers

by Failhorse » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:49 am

All the servers are based out of Chicago.
Servers 1, Randomizer, and Enigma are on a box through Single Hop.
Server 2, plus the fun stuff are on a box through Nuclear Fallout.

Now wait for the post from benny. Since i wasn't specific enough :lol:
Failhorse
Red Admin

by Vivi Hill » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Actually I put some details on the About page (thank yous section).

But yeah, SB2 isn't directly through nuclearfallout but rather through http://discountgameservers.com -- they have cheaper prices but less support (we don't need support anyway). Trade, Fun, stats, mumble and the website are done through a Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) that we administrate ourselves.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

by Failhorse » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 pm

see what i mean. semantics.
Failhorse
Red Admin

by doppelganger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 am

Haha, thanks you guys. I've been considering for some time of purchasing a server, but I haven't had much considering time the past two weeks so it has been put on the backburner atm (possibly promotion, 160hrs in 2wks time, sprained my wrist, etc.). I do appreciate any tips you guys have though!
doppelganger
Blue Admin
It's like looking into a mirror.

by Nikki Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 am

You can also host a server at home, but make sure you have enough bandwidth to support the amount of players you want. Don't really pay attention to download speed, as it is not that important for hosting. Keep an eye on upload speed. That determines how many people can be on your server. It's probably the cheaper way of hosting, but I don't know completely. If the computer is from the mid-00s (or at least with mid-00s hardware), it will work fine. My Compaq Presario C700 laptop works well. (1.46 GHz dual-core, 1 GB RAM)

Renting one may not be too expensive. It just depends on the amount of bandwidth, storage, operating system (I saw an ad for Linux servers at $0.015/hr and Windows for $0.08/hr), etc. Benny, Nuke, and Fail know more than I do, but whatever.
Nikki Wolf

by Vivi Hill » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm

If you host at home you have to make sure your provider supports forwarding ports 27015-27020. Some companies block it because they don't want people hosting game servers.

If you order a server, you have to make sure it's going to be powerful enough to run the gameserver. Sometimes hosts are designed for simple webhosting and can't take the load of a game server properly.
"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." --Benny Hill
Vivi Hill
Red Admin
Master of Ceremonies

Return to Server Support