Some guy talks about Spec Ops: The Line.

Everything else not represented

Some guy talks about Spec Ops: The Line.

by Saber » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 am

And fuck if it's depressing. It's fuckin' good.

Saber

Re: Some guy talks about Spec Ops: The Line.

by Echoplex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 am

Very cool. Call of Duty games make me sick to my stomach with the American exceptionalism and legions of faceless evil brown dudes. The Pentagon has actually said that modern video games are part of the war effort.

Black Ops 2 seems centered around injecting more senseless violence into the culture and getting people used to the endless surveillance and drone usage that is no doubt coming soon in our society...I think the plot is something like "terrorists have turned our own weapons against us," which also gives the assumption that these weapons are there for your own good otherwise.

Anyway, education has become so streamlined, asinine, and conformity based that I swear it has to be a cultural war on critical thinking. The same could easily be said for what's on TV, in video games, and the other discourse in American culture. I'm happy that there are still people out there who will challenge you to think and reflect. The problem is reaching the people who have already been contaminated with bullshit

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Repoman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 am

I didnt have an issue with the Americanism with the call of duty games, just the hilarious unreal Russian invasions. Oh, and the world war three that was like, a couple days long? lol
Repoman

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 am

I think I'm the only one who actually likes Call of Duty, but single player and multiplayer. I actually like the narrative in those games. Haven't looked at MW3 though. Black Ops 2 does seem like the first game to really catch my eye since CoD4, however.
VoltySquirrel

by Saber » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 am

There's the incredibly dehumanizing aspect of the Call of Duty games that I really don't like. You're basically going in and massacring people that you simply assume to be evil, and it makes it seem like war is something good, something to be glorified.
At least with Team Fortress 2 and the like, it's just a game where there's a specific goal and nothing is take very seriously.
Saber

by VoltySquirrel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 am

Saber wrote:There's the incredibly dehumanizing aspect of the Call of Duty games that I really don't like. You're basically going in and massacring people that you simply assume to be evil, and it makes it seem like war is something good, something to be glorified.
At least with Team Fortress 2 and the like, it's just a game where there's a specific goal and nothing is take very seriously.

...Did you actually pay attention to a lot of the stuff going on in the plot of those games? Now, I'm not saying CoD tells the best narrative, but, I saw a series, at least in CoD4, MW2, and BlOps, that carried a message of "WAR BAD".
VoltySquirrel

by Saber » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:24 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:
Saber wrote:There's the incredibly dehumanizing aspect of the Call of Duty games that I really don't like. You're basically going in and massacring people that you simply assume to be evil, and it makes it seem like war is something good, something to be glorified.

...Did you actually pay attention to a lot of the stuff going on in the plot of those games? Now, I'm not saying CoD tells the best narrative, but, I saw a series, at least in CoD4, MW2, and BlOps, that carried a message of "WAR BAD".

I TOTALLY FORGOT WHAT THEY WERE ABOUT ACTUALLY
uh
yeah I've never paid for a cod game
Saber

by Echoplex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:54 am

VoltySquirrel wrote:...Did you actually pay attention to a lot of the stuff going on in the plot of those games? Now, I'm not saying CoD tells the best narrative, but, I saw a series, at least in CoD4, MW2, and BlOps, that carried a message of "WAR BAD".

No fucking way. Absolutely not. I disagree with you triple hard.

Call of Duty absolutely glorifies the war effort. To steal a term from the video, it fellates it. It's an ego stroking, dehumanizing, and order following mess of a game that's an insult to what used to be an art form. How much thinking, reading, listening, or reflecting do you have to do to beat a CoD game? Absolutely none, EVER. "Black Ops 2" is also Call of Duty TEN (1, 2, UO [3], 3 [4], MW [5], WAW [6], MW2 [7], BO [8], MW3 [9], BO2 [10]). They just rename the series every few years to avoid the obvious redundancy. It's like Madden with a brainwashing component and without any individual choices for you to make. CoD 1 and MW are the only two games in the series I have any respect for because at least they innovated.

All stock errythang
Echoplex

by Newport » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 pm

oh my, well what do you guys think about this game.

"Ruler Zig Zag, Zig-Allah jam is fatal, Quick to stick my Wu-Tang sword right through ya navel"
"You can see the weakness of a man right through his iris, Un-loyal snakes get thrown in boilin lakes"
Newport

by Saber » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Echoplex wrote:
VoltySquirrel wrote:...Did you actually pay attention to a lot of the stuff going on in the plot of those games? Now, I'm not saying CoD tells the best narrative, but, I saw a series, at least in CoD4, MW2, and BlOps, that carried a message of "WAR BAD".

No fucking way. Absolutely not. I disagree with you triple hard.

Call of Duty absolutely glorifies the war effort. To steal a term from the video, it fellates it. It's an ego stroking, dehumanizing, and order following mess of a game that's an insult to what used to be an art form. How much thinking, reading, listening, or reflecting do you have to do to beat a CoD game? Absolutely none, EVER. "Black Ops 2" is also Call of Duty TEN (1, 2, UO [3], 3 [4], MW [5], WAW [6], MW2 [7], BO [8], MW3 [9], BO2 [10]). They just rename the series every few years to avoid the obvious redundancy. It's like Madden with a brainwashing component and without any individual choices for you to make. CoD 1 and MW are the only two games in the series I have any respect for because at least they innovated.

I completely agree with you regarding CoD 4: When it came out, it really was a brilliant game that took the market in an entirely new way, and did something that other games had never done before. It was a great game for its time, but I'm just really disappointed that it set off such a viral streak of crappy rehashes.
Saber

Return to Other Games