Path of Exile

Everything else not represented

Path of Exile

by Smeemo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Anyone playing the beta? I donated $10 to the developer today, so I'll be playing the hell out of it this weekend.

I'll post my thoughts after the weekend. I have no idea if multiplayer is set up for the beta (almost done downloading....), but if it is, look me up.

http://www.pathofexile.com/
Smeemo

Re: Path of Exile

by MamaWeegee » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:57 pm

So it's a diablo clone
Level 12 Cardinals Fan
MamaWeegee

by Smeemo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:50 pm

It's an ARPG, so in the sense that all ARPGs are basically Diablo clones, yes, it is a Diablo clone. Though the gameplay is similar (kill mobs; get loot; level up; repeat), a lot of the mechanics are very different from Diablo. After a few hours of playing today, here are some of the aspects I found refreshing/interesting:

I like the potions. There are life and mana potions per usual, but each one has a number of charges. Drink the pot, consume x charges. Charges are restored by killing enemies. I found lots of varying health/mana pots that had different stats. Some gave more health for more charges, some gave a speed boost, and so on. As I found more and more different kinds of potions, I had to really think about which ones to equip (only 5 slots on your belt) and how they would affect my character's tactics.

There are 6 classes (STR-, INT-, and DEX-based classes, as well as hybrid STR-DEX, STR-INT, and DEX-INT), but their stats are basically all the same. What differentiates one class from another is where they start on the skill tree. There is an absolutely massive passive skill tree in PoE, and where you start on the tree depends on what class you pick. Ex. as a Witch (INT-based character), you have early access to +spell dmg and +mana regen, but are not prohibited from spending the requisite points to travel to the part of the tree that gives buffs to dual-wielding swords.

Active skills are determined by gems. Ex. You can't cast Fire Trap unless you have a Fire Trap gem socketed into a piece of your gear. There are red (STR), blue (INT), and green (DEX) skill gems. All of the gear has varying numbers of differently colored slots. So daggers will often have at least one green slot, 2h mauls will have at least one red, and so on. Gaining EXP with a gem equipped gives EXP to the gem, and gems can be leveled up to increase their power. Adding another layer of complexity, you aren't forced to level your gems. For instance, leveling your Fire Trap gem again may make its mana cost unbearably high for your character build, so it's possible that you may want to keep it at its current level without making it stronger and more expensive to cast.

The varying types of armor were also refreshing to me. There are 3 types of damage reduction: armor, evade, and energy shield. Generally, armor is for STR-based characters, evade for DEX-based, and energy shield for INT-based. However, there are hybrid armor types to benefit the hybrid classes. I ran across armor pieces giving armor+evade, evade+energy shield, and armor+energy shield. I started out building a DEX-INT character (the so-called Shadow), so I've been forgoing the speed penalties associated with armor and have been collecting mostly +evade gear with some +energy shield buffs.

The level of character customization is extremely high. If that sounds like your cup of tea, I recommend donating the minimum of $10 to get a beta key and checking it out for yourself. The game itself will be f2p when it's released. I'm not exactly sure how well that will be handled (hopefully by just offering some minor perks like potions that give +drop rate for x hours), but the devs have made their disdain for the p2w model quite clear. So there's that. This game is deep, and I kind of feel like it was the D3 I was hoping for but didn't get. If you were disgusted by the absurd level of hand-holding that D3 forced on its players as far as character builds go, give Path of Exile a look. Even better, since it's a solid title and from a small dev team, give 'em 10 bucks.
Smeemo

by Smeemo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:20 pm

The passive tree:
Smeemo

by MamaWeegee » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Dear Jesus that skill tree
Level 12 Cardinals Fan
MamaWeegee

by Guy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:15 pm

That skill tree looks a lot like Final Fantasy 10's.

I like it!
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by LegendarySurgeon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:44 am

I've been playing the beta for a while (I signed up on the forums ages ago and got a beta key through the power of being around). It's a lot of fun but I haven't played recently.
The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

LegendarySurgeon
Donator
☺ Dabbling Conversationalist

by Thret » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:34 am

Purchasing a beta-key now. This game looks like a ton of fun.

Looking at the Witch right now.
Thret

by Smeemo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 am

There is a "friends" system and you have the ability to party up. You can see other players milling about while in towns, but it seems like everything else is instanced for your party.

My character's name is Smeemo.
Smeemo

by Hatred » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:28 am

question before i join in on the fun ....

is it a stupidly 1 directional as D3 or can i have fun making my toon as i want it, instead of being forced to be just like that other guy ?

and is there crafting ?
also known as csn broken [UbM]
Hatred
Donator

by Thret » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:23 am

There doesn't seem to be crafting. You can build your character however you want. Instead of getting spells as you level up you find gems to put in your gear and those gems give you spells. Your character levels give you passive abilities and gem levels decide the strength of your spells.
Thret

by Smeemo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am

Interactive skill tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMA

What my character looks like at level 17:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skil ... wJDmi_FtY=
I'm going for a DEX-based build with high chance to crit. My play style is based on poisoning mobs and kiting them into DoT traps, all while avoiding getting hit. Because... I die in two hits. Hooray, glass cannon build! But I'm not even a cannon. I'm like a slow cooker. Made entirely of glass.

I hear open beta starts in August, but if you enjoy these kinds of games, the devs deserve your $10 in my opinion.
Smeemo

by Smeemo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Been having a lot of fun playing with Thret. Mostly I run around and try to look like I'm contributing while he nukes the living hell out of everything that moves.

Come play.
Smeemo

by Thret » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Ahahaha, I've been feeling the same about myself. I just sit there and try to nuke while you murder everything in sight. I guess we're both contributing equally then! :P

It is really fun. The passive skill tree provides a lot more depth than Diablo 3 has to offer.
Thret

by Thret » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Also, as a note, character class seems to be a pretty pointless decision in this game. It looks like the only think it decides is what you get when you level up (Like getting +2 int as a witch or something.) and what your character looks like.
Thret

by Smeemo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Thret wrote:I just sit there and try to nuke while you murder everything in sight. I guess we're both contributing equally then! :P

Win! It's hard to tell since I'm mainly doing damage-over-time and you're bursting like a madwoman.

Thret wrote:Also, as a note, character class seems to be a pretty pointless decision in this game. It looks like the only think it decides is what you get when you level up (Like getting +2 int as a witch or something.) and what your character looks like.

I can't find anything re: class-specific bonuses when you level up. But the rest of the comment I know to be true. I think your chosen class also affects your quest rewards (ex. I picked the rogue/mage hybrid, so I'm offered various gems that give me skills with small one-handed weapons/traps/spells).

The level of customization is terrific, and is my favorite aspect of the game so far. It's like Morrowind and Diablo had a baby. The lovechild mostly resembles Diablo, but it has Morrowind's nose. There's no denying that. I can't wait until my build fails and I have to start from scratch with a different idea, but (hopefully) with the added benefit of knowing where I went wrong on the passive skill tree when my backstabbing trapper assassin hits a wall and can't progress any further. Getting all excited writing this. Gonna go play now.
Smeemo

by Smeemo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Repth, have you tried it yet?
Smeemo

Return to Other Games