RPGs

Everything else not represented

RPGs

by Wakka » Sat May 26, 2012 4:22 am

I hadn't played a good RPG in ages, but I just picked up Chrono Trigger for the first time, and oh my god is it good. My previous favorite RPG was probably Golden Sun, which I still highly recommend, but it's obvious now where it got its inspiration. I'm sure there are some other RPG fans here; what other games do you recommend? (I'm not too well versed in the genre, honestly )
Wakka

Re: RPGs

by Smeemo » Sat May 26, 2012 6:30 am

Terranigma is a really good action-RPG.

As far as traditional JRPGs go, the old Final Fantasy games are quality. If you're coming right off from Chrono Trigger, I'd say start at FFVI (FFIII in U.S.).

Ogre Battle is a great strategy-RPG.

Just a little biased towards the SNES. :D

If you want to go really old school, there are some good ones on Steam. Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World are both hilariously-written games in the vein of the old Dragon Quest series. And Legend of Grimrock is a tile-based RPG kind of like that great SNES title Eye of the Beholder. There are also some good roguelikes (turn-based RPGs featuring permadeath) like Eschalon and Dungeons of Dredmor. Avadon: The Black Fortress is great, as well.
Smeemo

by VoltySquirrel » Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 am

VoltySquirrel

by medkitz » Sat May 26, 2012 9:35 am

I dont like rpgs but I do enjoy crafting the all father
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by xalde » Sat May 26, 2012 10:08 am

What systems do you have? I'll just list my favorites on various ones anyways..

For the DS I'd recommend The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest (especially IX or V), Final Fantasy IV (also available on SNES or Wii Virtual Console).

SNES (also available on Virtual Console) I'd recommend: Final Fantasy VI (best game ever made!), Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG (seriously good despite name), Earthbound (if you can find it, not available on virtual consol and very rare/expensive, but fantastic game), Lufia II: rise of the sinistrals (I prefer this over Lufia I, better story and control in my opinion).

Play station: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Megaman Legends, Legend of Mana. AVOID Final Fantasy VIII

Play station 2: Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts both 1 & 2.

PC: Skyrim, Elder Scrolls V; Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origions

There's a few anyway off the top of my head. Definitely go for any and all from the SNES era, those are some of the best and they certainly don't make them like they used to.
xalde
Donator

by Smeemo » Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Pen and paper and beer and pretzels ftw, Volty! Never tried Pathfinder, though.
Smeemo

by VoltySquirrel » Sat May 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Smeemo wrote:Pen and paper and beer and pretzels ftw, Volty! Never tried Pathfinder, though.

It's easily the best version of D&D, since it's essentially the fix to the previously best version, 3.5. It has the balance of 4e while still keeping the feel of 3.5. Not only that, but it's backwards compatible with (almost) any 3rd Edition and 3.5 book and game. You really should give it a look, my friend.
VoltySquirrel

by Guy » Sat May 26, 2012 2:05 pm

I have all 3 rpg makers... and I been working on an my rpg for a while.

The main heroes are gay of course, but I am making a version that changes one of them to female so st8 folks can enjoy it too.

Maybe if I ever finish it I will put a link up here... but lately I haven't even had time to shave my face.
What do you mean syringes don't go there? I am the doctor here... they go where I say they go.
Guy
Donator
Herr Doktor

by Wakka » Sat May 26, 2012 3:25 pm

thanks smeemo, i will look into those. keewy also suggested terranigma. and yeah i've heard good things about the snes.

xalde wrote:What systems do you have? I'll just list my favorites on various ones anyways..

For the DS I'd recommend The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest (especially IX or V), Final Fantasy IV (also available on SNES or Wii Virtual Console).

SNES (also available on Virtual Console) I'd recommend: Final Fantasy VI (best game ever made!), Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG (seriously good despite name), Earthbound (if you can find it, not available on virtual consol and very rare/expensive, but fantastic game), Lufia II: rise of the sinistrals (I prefer this over Lufia I, better story and control in my opinion).

Play station: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Megaman Legends, Legend of Mana. AVOID Final Fantasy VIII

Play station 2: Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts both 1 & 2.

PC: Skyrim, Elder Scrolls V; Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origions

There's a few anyway off the top of my head. Definitely go for any and all from the SNES era, those are some of the best and they certainly don't make them like they used to.

awesome post. for snes i'm using zsnes at the moment but i may end up buying some later. i saw a lot of these titles when i was browsing online, so i'll be sure to look into them. i have played most of mass effect (my disc broke before i could finish), and i hated what little of skyrim i played. kingdom hearts games were solid. megaman legends is somewhat fun but never holds my interest for long, sadly (i've played the 64 version fwiw).
Wakka

by xalde » Sat May 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Znes is good, I've used that for many games that you can't find or for japanese imports.

A few other games I recall as good: Breath of Fire (SNES), secret of evermore (SNES), fire emblem series (various systems).

We do need more GlBT games. It is nice that some of the more recent games (skyrim, mass effect, dragon age) allow you that choice for a very few NPCs. I'd be interestd to try your out on RPG maker Guy.
Last edited by xalde on Sat May 26, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xalde
Donator

by Spyder » Sat May 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Fire Emblem.
Image Image
Spyder

by medkitz » Sat May 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Spyder wrote:Fire Emblem.

Sacred stones all the fucking way
Dancing the night away, and then when I get bored, I go and play tfdb_float at the love nest... Again

medkitz

by Wakka » Sat May 26, 2012 6:10 pm

i don't like fire emblem :/
Wakka

by Saber » Sat May 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Fire Emblem isn't nice to new people.
Oh, that unit's dead? Can I revive him/her somehow? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
Oh, this paladin dude is really strong! I'll just use him to take out this asshole. BAM REST OF PARTY IS RAPED HORRIBLY LATER
Saber

by Knees of Justice » Sat May 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Paper Mario is best RPG. Especially TTYD.
MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES...
Knees of Justice
Pink Admin
Hey there

RPGs

by Keewy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Smeemo wrote:Terranigma is a really good action-RPG.

Oh man, somebody else who knows of Terranigma. Illusion of Gaia is the prequel to Terranigma, along with Soul Blazer before it, but I never got through Soul Blazer. Aside from that, I'd highly suggest Mother 3 on the GBA (There's a fan translation) and EarthBound (Mother 2).
No lo so Italiano.
Keewy

by xalde » Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Keewy wrote: Aside from that, I'd highly suggest Mother 3 on the GBA (There's a fan translation) and EarthBound (Mother 2).

Oh yes, definitely play Mother 3. Such a great game, highly disappointed it never made it to the states. Most times the people at NOA are just stupid, or not telling us the entire story.
xalde
Donator

by Wakka » Sat May 26, 2012 8:01 pm

big fan of the paper mario series
Wakka

by Nikki Wolf » Sat May 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Go play The Witcher series...NAO!

Also, The Dark Spire and Solatorobo (both on DS) are pretty nice.
Nikki Wolf

by MamaWeegee » Sat May 26, 2012 11:23 pm

For PC Baldurs gate is good, so is some of the Neverwinter nights games (based on D&D), The witcher is ok too
Level 12 Cardinals Fan
MamaWeegee

by meh » Sat May 26, 2012 11:53 pm

I don't know about you guys, but my favorite is by far Charles Barkley's Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden
meh

by Saber » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 am

Oh yes, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is basically one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's hilarious and actually really well made. I'd recommend the shit out of it.
Saber

by BoB Dolen » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
Fallout 1 + 2 + NV
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
System Shock 2
Arcanum
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Witcher 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Dark Souls + demon souls
Neverwinter Nights mods
Icewind Dale
ImageImage
ImageImage
BoB Dolen
Donator
*** 2 Word Rage Inducer ***

by VoltySquirrel » Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 pm

My answer is still the correctest of the bunch.
VoltySquirrel

by Toeknee » Mon May 28, 2012 12:38 pm

I enjoyed "Shining Force" 1 & 2. They were on the Sega Genesis, but I know the ROMs are out there somewhere.
Toeknee
Blue Admin
I give Mustache Rides!

by Necro Wes » Wed May 30, 2012 2:27 am

I finished earthbound recently and would definitely recommend it. xalde mentioned the world ends with you, that is one of my favorites. I recently started playing Vagrant Story and its pretty good so far; the battle system has a reflex mechanic similar to Paper Mario.

Wakka wrote:i don't like fire emblem :/

:(
Necro Wes
Donator
Friendly neighborhood zombie

by Smeemo » Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 am

Buhhhh, Vagrant Story. I want to like that game so badly, but I could never figure out the crafting system. I'd always hit a brick wall where I'd start doing no damage.
Smeemo

Return to Other Games